FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedLuna Rossa: Panic Room spin-off project

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Luna Rossa: Panic Room spin-off project
    Posted: April 29 2013 at 03:49
LUNA ROSSA is the new acoustic project from Anne-Marie Helder and Jonathan Edwards of the band Panic Room. Their first album ‘Sleeping Pills & Lullabies’ is a beautiful and intimate collection of songs.

Largely based around grand piano and acoustic guitar, the stripped back arrangements allow Anne-Marie’s wonderfully rich and versatile voice to take centre stage, and weave its way through an album of stunning original music.

Enhancing the instrumental palette, you will find touches of rhodes, organ, quirky samples and rhythm loops adding some grit to the mix . . . while the beautiful delicacy of the celtic harp, celeste, autoharp and even hand-played wine glasses add a shimmering ethereal quality to the soundscape.

Guest musicians on the album include :
Tim Hamill (of Sonic One Studios) on dobro, electric guitar and rhythm programming; & Andy 'Wal' Coughlan (Cerys Matthews/Gary Numan), whose double bass playing adds a depth, brooding energy and a little 'swing' to selected songs - lending a ‘Pentangle-ish’ feel.

On cello, Leah Evans weaves some wonderful string textures throughout the album, both as a soloist and with her fellow LUNA ROSSA Quartet musicians : Artem Kotov, Rebecca Brown and Ronan Mac Manus (all Trinity College graduates).

The album sees Anne-Marie and Jon exploring the more acoustic side of their songwriting, but peppered with many of the flashes of eclectic and experimental originality that those familiar with their Panic Room work will know and love.

As the title ‘Sleeping Pills & Lullabies’ implies, this is an album of both beauty and pain; peace and darkness.
Somewhat of a ‘bi-polar’ exploration of hope and despair, the songs look at the highs and lows of human experience, as seen through the lens of the songwriters' imagination.

From the fatalistic cynicism of ‘The Dark Room’ and the cry for help of the Nick Drake-inflected ‘Scream At The Sky’, to the hopeful promise of ‘Rise Up’ and the darker awakening sensuality of ‘Gasp’ . . . this is a very personal collection of honest and haunting songs.
'Sleeping Pills & Lullabies' is being released by the band's own label - Firefly Music - on 10th June 2013.

Pre-order one of the first copies now: www.lunarossa.co

Thumbs Up

Edited by yam yam - April 29 2013 at 03:51
DamoXt7942 View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Avant/Cross/Neo/Post Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2013 at 04:15
^ Wonderful delicate touch. Phantastykk! Clap
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2013 at 15:01
Now a write-up in Prog magazine too: http://www.progrockmag.com/news/panic-room-duo-announce-luna-rossa-album/

Panic Room duo Anne-Marie Helder and Jonathan Edwards will release their debut album as Luna Rossa on June 10.

The acoustic work is called Sleeping Pills & Lullabies, and it’s billed as an exploration of “fragile beauty.”

Edwards tells Prog: “The songs are a mixture of positive and negative. The idea with the title was to suggest two different ways of going to sleep: one benign and peaceful, and one suggesting a darker and possibly dangerous route. We chose that title because it symbolised for us the duality that’s present in the songs too.”

He cites two songs as examples of the contrasting approach. “Opening track The Dark Room is a cynical look at relationships. The idea of looking at photographs of a hopeful past, while knowing that time has taken that hope away, is pretty dark. Then Mad About You is much more positive; it’s about finding the reality of love beyond your initial fantasy image of a person you’re attracted to.”

Helder and Edwards wanted to explore their acoustic songwriting abilities in Luna Rossa. “We have very eclectic tastes and that certainly comes through in the way we write for Panic Room,” says Edwards. “We find that we sometimes write songs that are more in the singer-songwriter area than songs for a rock band. Some of them have made their way onto Panic Room albums, like Muse on Satellite, and Velvet & Stars on the last album, SKIN. But we thought it would be nice to just follow that path for a whole album.”

Sleeping Pills & Lullabies was recorded two years ago, but it took time for the duo to find space in their schedule to release it. Since then, it’s already paid dividends back to Panic Room. “One practical thing we learned is that we can write string arrangements,” Edwards explains. “Our success of doing that for the Luna Rossa album is what gave us the confidence to do that with SKIN for Panic Room.”

And he believes Helder’s voice is the element which will most stand out on the new record. “Each song has its own story to tell. One of Anne-Marie’s strengths is to approach each song individually and sing it in a unique way that fits tthat song and its lyrics. Knd of like method acting, but in song.”

Luna Rossa aim to tour at some point, while Edwards and Helder will appear with Panic Room over the summer, followed by recording work on the band’s fourth album in the autumn.

Find out more about Luna Rossa.

Sleeping Pills & Lullabies tracklist:

1. The Dark Room
2. Heart On My Sleeve
3. Mad About You
4. The Book Of Love
5. Scream At The Sky
6. Leaving For The Last Time
7. Fight Or Flight
8. La Clef
9. Rise Up
10. Cloud
11. Gasp

Thumbs Up
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2013 at 13:29
LUNA ROSSA - 'SLEEPING PILLS & LULLABIES' - OUT NOW!
The debut LUNA ROSSA album 'Sleeping Pills & Lullabies’ was officially released on 10th June, and has been garnering fantastic reviews. The current issue of PROG magazine features a 3 page feature spread on LUNA ROSSA and a track from the album ('Gasp') features on the cover mount CD. Tracks from the album have also featured on the cover CD with R2 & ROCK SOCIETY, the latter also carrying a 3 page interview with Anne-Marie & Jon.

This beautiful and intimate collection of songs is now available from Amazon, iTunes, HMV and other independent record stores, as well as direct from the band at www.lunarossa.co.

If you've not yet heard LUNA ROSSA yet - Mandy Marton, DJ at Radio Seagull will be featuring the album on her show 'Mandy' Musical Minx' and playing every track during her next show which you can listen to from 9pm-midnight this coming Friday at www.radioseagull.com
Thumbs Up
Five customer reviews so far on Amazon.co.uk: http://www.amazon.co.uk/SLEEPING-PILLS-LULLABIES-Luna-Rossa/dp/B00CLFYXBY, and they're all 5-stars!! Approve
Thinks me gonna take this into Crossover's den for a spin or two... !! Tongue

Edited by yam yam - June 17 2013 at 13:32
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2013 at 20:11
Well, I guess I must I have left the team before I'd gotten round to asking the guys to hear this one out, but Olav has now done the business, and Luna Rossa are finally under evaluation in Crossover: http://progfreak.com/Luna-Rossa-157457.html?path=pa/recentThumbs Up
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2014 at 14:21
This must be a first...Nobody actually voted 'no', but the duo have been rejected:

I did have my doubts that they might get the nod when I first mentioned this project in the Crossover team thread back when I was a member of the team, but hey - at least it's an honourable rejection! LOL
aapatsos View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2014 at 14:35
^ I think there were not enough Yes votes rather than being rejected due to No's

By the way, I remember the Classic Rock Society around here promoting them
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2014 at 14:40
Originally posted by yam yam yam yam wrote:

This must be a first...Nobody actually voted 'no', but the duo have been rejected:

I did have my doubts that they might get the nod when I first mentioned this project in the Crossover team thread back when I was a member of the team, but hey - at least it's an honourable rejection! LOL

You are too polite, David. This is the type of decision which riles me, and makes this site look rather foolish.

A full blown feature in the world's best selling prog magazine, but not prog enough for us?
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2014 at 16:06
Yes, I'm very disappointed by the decision - I would certainly have voted 'yes' had I made it an official proposal back then...but there were mumblings about a couple of other additions the team had recently made (notably Oingo Boingo!), and I decided discretion was the better part of valour. LOL
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2014 at 21:08
I am a rookie, a new member of the crossover team, so I will champion their cause as I am big fan of Panic Room. Not having the debut album out does not help in my opinion but WE SHALL OVERCOME!  I have voted YES already and I am going to pre-order it next week! 

Edited by tszirmay - March 10 2014 at 21:09
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2014 at 11:36
I have contacted my colleagues and correct this glaring omission from PA , voting back into crossover or prog-related. We shall see. 
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
Riven View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2014 at 09:21
wow, spin off projects are a true sign of success

Edited by Riven - March 18 2014 at 09:25
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2014 at 22:47
Still showing on progfreak as 'rejected' - many artists with a majority of 'Prog Related' votes cast were brought back into the 'new' chart for a second look (even ones with some 'no' votes cast too) - but Luna Rossa wasn't one of them. So, despite not actually having been given a 'no' vote.by any of the team members, this duo is still out in the cold. Ermm
kev rowland View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2014 at 20:22
Originally posted by yam yam yam yam wrote:

Still showing on progfreak as 'rejected' - many artists with a majority of 'Prog Related' votes cast were brought back into the 'new' chart for a second look (even ones with some 'no' votes cast too) - but Luna Rossa wasn't one of them. So, despite not actually having been given a 'no' vote.by any of the team members, this duo is still out in the cold. Ermm
Luna Rossa were deemed to be not fit for Crossover, but were put forward to Admins to be considered for P/R. This only took place in January, and they were then rejected by Admin for P/R so I changed the status to Rejected. The vast amount of P/R suggestions that are currently being re-evaluated are from bands that were suggested to be P/R, but no decision was ever made by Admins.

Discussions have been going on in the team thread as to whether they should be re-evaluated, but unless there is more than one team member suggesting that this should take place then they won't be brought back in for discussion. if they are they will be treated as a controversial act, needing five clear 'yes' votes.

I actually voted 'Yes' for their inclusion six months ago, but at the time was the only one to do so. But, we need to follow the rules and a vote for P/R is the same as a 'No' vote for inclusion within Crossover, so the majority of members did vote against them at the time. 
All five volumes of The Progressive Underground now available
https://www.amazon.com/Kev-Rowland/e/B07RJVRB2X
aapatsos View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2014 at 04:39
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

A full blown feature in the world's best selling prog magazine, but not prog enough for us?

I would not go there Dave. What sells to the prog-rock audience is different to what is actually progressive rock.

The type of bands being promoted by the prog rock "media" sometimes amazes me (no pun intended).
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2014 at 09:11

Luna Rossa have now completed their second album 'Secrets & Lies':

Picture

It has been sent off to the pressing plant and begins manufacture Today!!!
"It's always an exciting time, as all the months of hard work, writing, designing, planning and dreaming now come to fruition… We can't wait to see the finished results!
And while the Official Release isn't until the end of November, you can get your hands on a copy a lot earlier! -

✭ Firstly from the LIVE GIGS taking place on 1, 2 & 9th November in the UK (see below), where we will have the discs shiny & ready to sell as a Tour-Exclusive!
Also - in London + Bilston we are proud to welcome Anne-Marie's brother Robert Helder and his band @Sea Of Green, who will be opening the shows!
 ...Just one more reason to come & see Luna Rossa LIVE!!!
 ✭ Secondly, you can PRE-ORDER the album now!!!
 Simply follow this link and place your order -

http://www.lunarossa.co/secrets--lies--pre-order.html

- Orders will be sent out as soon as the Live Shows are finished - from 10th November 2014.
So you'll still be beating the queues, and will get your copy in advance of the Official Release!

Here are the details about the LIVE SHOWS - please feel free to share this post, and all of the info!
...We need to get these venues nice & full! :o)
 Info / Tickets: http://www.thegate.org.uk/event/luna-rossa/

★ 2nd NOV - LONDON - The Borderline
 + support: Sea of Green
 Info / Tickets: http://mamacolive.com/theborderline/listings/upcoming-events/21004/panic-room-sea-of-green/

★ 9th NOV - BILSTON - The Robin 2
 + support: Sea of Green
Info / Tickets:
http://www.therobin.co.uk/whats_on/giginfo.asp?gigid=3812

There is a nine-minute sampler in the audio player at the bottom of the band's homepage: http://www.lunarossa.co/.

Thumbs Up

lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2015 at 09:28
I am listening to this on Progstreaming now. An absolutely fantastic piece of work, and I will be ordering from Caerllysi Music when I have finished this post.

This album, and act, really should be on this site. It screams out for inclusion.

I despair sometimes.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2015 at 05:57
Hey Steve...Is it worth asking the team to have another look (listen) based on the new album?

Luna Rossa

HPMSCArtistEvketsroRoRetiredSection
HomepagegbLuna Rossa Crossover Prog Chart: Rejected

There are two new members now, and both Thomas and Kev voted 'yes' before, so if Scott could be sufficiently won over by the new stuff to change his vote to 'yes', and the two new members followed suit, then Bob's yer uncle! Big smile
Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2015 at 20:04
Added:

http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=9375

Thank you David for putting the bio together for these guys.

Edited by Roland113 - April 30 2015 at 20:11
-------someone please tell him to delete this line, he looks like a noob-------

I don't have an unnatural obsession with Disney Princesses, I have a fourteen year old daughter and coping mechanisms.
 Post Reply Post Reply