Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTony Banks or Rick Wakeman

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
Poll Question: Who do you like better all around, group work and solo?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
58 [52.73%]
52 [47.27%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2013 at 19:59
Mister Banks
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2013 at 01:17
Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Live performance - Banks nails it every time but rarely varies from pre-rehearsed solos. Could phone in his performance most of the time. Wakeman is prepared to improvise much like Emerson.

Good point.  Banks is my favourite lead synthesizer player.  Emo & Wakeman could improvise circles around him but Banks' solos are well thought out mini-compositions.  The best example I've found is the synth solo from "In The Cage".  I learned to play it along with the backing organ chords a few months ago and it's a master class in how to build a solo melody on top of a harmonic background.  Genius.

The solo on the apocalypse section is probably his pinnacle. How often has that been ripped off by neo prog bands??!
Banks is a genius as a composer really. Wakeman though was the ultimate prog keyboard player and a master on synth, hammond,church organ, mellotron and piano.  Still not sure who I want to vote for.. this is just way too tough.
Moogtron III View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2013 at 01:44

Live performance - Banks nails it every time but rarely varies from pre-rehearsed solos. Could phone in his performance most of the time. Wakeman is prepared to improvise much like Emerson.

Good point.  Banks is my favourite lead synthesizer player.  Emo & Wakeman could improvise circles around him but Banks' solos are well thought out mini-compositions.  The best example I've found is the synth solo from "In The Cage".  I learned to play it along with the backing organ chords a few months ago and it's a master class in how to build a solo melody on top of a harmonic background.  Genius.

The solo on the apocalypse section is probably his pinnacle. How often has that been ripped off by neo prog bands??!
Banks is a genius as a composer really. Wakeman though was the ultimate prog keyboard player and a master on synth, hammond,church organ, mellotron and piano.  Still not sure who I want to vote for.. this is just way too tough.

It depends on what you think is most important, I suppose: composition vs. playing. That's a personal choice. I chose Banks myself because for me good compositions comes first.
(Emerson was both a brilliant composer and a brilliant player)
sukmytoe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2013 at 02:02
I love the Genesis early period a lot more than I do the Yes earlier period (except for the Relayer album which is up there with the best - and Wakeman wasn't involved with Relayer). Looking at both artists I have to go with Rick Wakeman and my resoning for that is comparrison between Banks and Wakeman solo efforts. Banks never did anything like the Journey to the Centre of the Earth album or anything that could compare to any of the early Wakeman albums in scope or in ability. I also wonder how much of what Banks is credited with in Genesis inspiration wise came from him as opposed to how much came from the other Genesis members - looking at his solo albums which are uninspired for the main part I can guess at the answer to that. I also wonder, after watching a large number of interviews of the Genesis band members, who was ultimately responsible for the direction which Genesis took with their later output - many "blame" Collins for what happened however I think that Banks was the "culprit" and not Collins. I lay the demise of the old, loved, sound of Genesis when they changed direction fully on Banks's doorstep as I also lay the "blame" for the departure of Gabriel and then Hackett.
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2013 at 04:06
All around I have to give it to Rick as Banks has only done one good solo album.
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2013 at 04:36
Banks isn't up there with my fave keyboardist's. Maybe it's because I find genesis a bit dainty and odd. Some weird compositions and lyrics which just feel a bit off centre to me
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2013 at 13:55
Originally posted by Moogtron III Moogtron III wrote:

It depends on what you think is most important, I suppose: composition vs. playing. That's a personal choice. I chose Banks myself because for me good compositions comes first.
(Emerson was both a brilliant composer and a brilliant player)

Agree on Emerson although I think he was able to avoid just sticking anything out for the sake of it like Rick seems to have done over the years. Wakeman has something like 100+ solo albums releases which is plain madness imo. Even Vangelis is only up to 30 oddLOL
But that Six Wives album throws a major spanner into the works. Emerson nor Banks ever matched that for sheer nail on the head brilliance but Rick could never quite follow it in my mind. It was perhaps just too good.

I have to ask myself who has given me the most pleasure and raised a smile over the years. I guess has to be Rick and also I prefer early Yes (pre Relayer) to early Genesis. So my vote is for King Rick.
NickHall View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2013 at 15:47
Wakeman way ahead of Banks in technical ability.
Smurph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2013 at 16:14
Wakeman on technical ability and his solo work.

BUT... I like Banks more because he does some dang good melodic work and compositions. :D
akaBona View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2013 at 17:07
RW
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2013 at 17:59

But that Six Wives album throws a major spanner into the works. Emerson nor Banks ever matched that for sheer nail on the head brilliance but Rick could never quite follow it in my mind. It was perhaps just too good.

Also voted for Rick. I do think Rick matched Six Wives with Criminal Record. Both are stupendous forays into keyboard-propelled instrumental prog. I consider both to be essential recordings even for Wakeman-haters.

I think Tony is a great composer even if he doesn't match Rick's, Keith's and Patrick's technical capabilities. Tony's Soundtracks (with music from Quicksilver and Lorca & The Outlaws) shows him in a non-songwriter context apart from two great songs sung by Fish and Toyah (and one lousy song sung by somebody whose name I don't care to look up).
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2013 at 01:51
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Also voted for Rick. I do think Rick matched Six Wives with Criminal Record. Both are stupendous forays into keyboard-propelled instrumental prog. I consider both to be essential recordings even for Wakeman-haters.

I think Tony is a great composer even if he doesn't match Rick's, Keith's and Patrick's technical capabilities. Tony's Soundtracks (with music from Quicksilver and Lorca & The Outlaws) shows him in a non-songwriter context apart from two great songs sung by Fish and Toyah (and one lousy song sung by somebody whose name I don't care to look up).

Criminal Record certainly has some great dynamics on the 'ELP tracks' (Wakeman,Squire and White) and Judas Iscariot is rather goosebumpingly wonderfull at times but on the whole it feels like an incomplete package somehow ( and you have to to ignore The Breathalyser ). However that was the closest he got to repeating the brilliance of Six Wives before financial and health issues perhaps started to overtake him.
Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2013 at 03:17
Banks Genesis work, A Curious Feeling and Strictly Inc, his classical releases - incredible stuff

Wakeman - Work with Strawbs ( From The Witchwood), Yes ( what can one say.....) his solo albums, 6 Wives, Journey To The Center, Knights of King Arthur, the awesome No Earthly Connection

I'd have to say they are each masters in their own way, totally different personalities
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
brainstormer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2013 at 14:17
Yes, the more I look at this poll, the more I realize it's not ever to say one is good and one is bad.  I am just interested in why people would do a desert island selection of either guy's work.  

--
Robert Pearson
Regenerative Music http://www.regenerativemusic.net
Telical Books http://www.telicalbooks.com
ParaMind Brainstorming Software http://www.paramind.net

The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2013 at 16:07
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

For me, the song Fish sings on "Still" (Another Murder of a Day) is the highlight of Banks song based solo work.  I like most of "A Curious Feeling" instrumentally but have never really liked vocalist Kim Beacon's style.  Too bad Fish couldn't have sung on that album too Wink
Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2013 at 18:29
The votes speak volume 30/30. Both as good as each other from PA members so far
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2013 at 19:08
Tony Banks in a band

Rick Wakeman as solo artist

Bioth are in the same level for different situatiions.

Iván

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - May 30 2013 at 19:08

HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2013 at 20:07
Tony Banks. Not just the tasty melodies, he new how to use timbre to fit both the content and the mood a song was trying to convey. Hmm..I would say the same about Hackett, actually.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2013 at 06:26
Wakeman came up with that massive cascading church organ/moog section of 'Awaken' - beat that, Tony LOL
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2013 at 08:53
Originally posted by NickHall NickHall wrote:

Wakeman way ahead of Banks in technical ability.

I've read that Genesis used to skip the piano intro of "Firth of Fifth" because Banks couldn't play it live. I don't know whether this is true or not, although I doubt it as the keyboard player from tribute band Los Endos has no trouble playing it.

Wakeman is technically better but doesn't always pick the best keyboard sounds.

I'm going to go for Wakeman for the glorious church organ section of "Close To The Edge" and the instrumental section of "And You And I".
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>