Topic ClosedAndy Latimer VS David Gilmour

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Poll Question: Who's your favorite
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
46 [49.46%]
47 [50.54%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Moogtron III View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2013 at 14:34
Both great guitar players, and I love both Camel and Floyd, though Camel a bit more.
I choose Latimer, because not only is he a great guitar player, but also a first class composer as well of many, many, great songs. 

Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2013 at 21:57
Originally posted by dennismoore dennismoore wrote:

Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Originally posted by Horizons Horizons wrote:

I think you're a bit too attached to that one guy who did that one solo in that one album with the bricks in the wall.

Oh, for me Gilmour did so much more than just the solo on Comfortably Numb. Just about every song he touches he enhances with his guitar sound.
Ola mi amigo!Como estas?I think Horizons means the solo in Another Brick In The Wall...Actually, my favorite David Gilmour solo is not a guitar solo at all.  It is when he plays the dog on Seamus (pronounced Shay-mus) on Meddle.  He sticks a microphone in front of a dog and he squeezes the dog until the dog whines & cries.  Sounds just like an Eric Clapton solo!Seriously, my favorite Gilmour is everything he ever did from Meddle through The Wall...

Yeah, indeed that period from Gilmour is golden. Though I'm not sure I'd include "Obscured by Clouds", nor even "The Wall"... I mean, on that album he doesn't get to play so much guitar as on the previous albums... though once again I come to "Comfortably Numb", which is great, of course. And I definitley wouldn't leave out "The Division Bell", it is just full of beautiful guitar playing, ending the Pink Floyd career on a high note with "High Hopes", which is every bit as great as Comfortably Numb itself, I might even like it a bit better. And speaking of playing live, I believe he has always been wonderful, and hearing what he has done with his older songs on performances from the 80's and later he just gets better and better.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2013 at 22:01
Originally posted by uduwudu uduwudu wrote:

Do we wonder which of them is the best /worst vocalist? Mild observation is that thinking of DG in the Saucer / Ummagumma days compared to his later years . there's quite a change between his more avant garde leanings and the bluesy statements thereafter. I would probably regard Latimer as the better composer - just for Snow Goose alone plus the exceptional live version on that 1978 album. Interestingly DG has an exceptional 1978 album as well.Don't have a favourite.

Do you care about doing that poll? I bet that one Gilmour would win by a very wide margin... and indeed I like him better on vocals. However, some of the charm of those early Camel albums that I have come to love is the not so excellent singing... it's got it's charm, and I wouldn't have it any other way, I just love it (of course, not all the songs were sung by Latimer, as far as I understand).
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2013 at 01:46
My two most beloved guitarists. No vote.
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2013 at 02:55
Voted Mr Gilmour.
I really like this solo album by him

What a great Crossover prog stuff!

Edited by Svetonio - August 10 2013 at 03:04
ElectricPoetry View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2013 at 06:12
A tough one but I think it has to Latimer.
jude111 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2013 at 11:55

Gilmour created (or should i say, sculpted) some of the most iconic guitar solos of the progressive era. Dogs. Shine On. Comfortably Numb. Another Brick in the Wall (parts 1 and 2). I love classic-era Camel, but there's nothing on Gilmour's level. Camel and Latimer were *clearly* listening to a *lot* of Floyd. But I'm not sure Gilmour or Waters ever listened to Camel...

Edited by jude111 - August 12 2013 at 14:05
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2013 at 12:26
Originally posted by jude111 jude111 wrote:

Come on, Gilmour created (or should i say, sculpted) some of the most iconic guitar solos of the progressive era. Dogs. Shine On. Comfortably Numb. Another Brick in the Wall (parts 1 and 2). I love classic-era Camel, but there's nothing on Gilmour's level. Camel and Latimer were *clearly* listening to a *lot* of Floyd. But I'm not sure Gilmour or Waters ever listened to Camel...

Yeah, I'd love to know what Gilmour thinks about Camel.
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2013 at 12:43

Originally posted by jude111 jude111 wrote:

Come on, Gilmour created (or should i say, sculpted) some of the most iconic guitar solos of the progressive era. Dogs. Shine On. Comfortably Numb. Another Brick in the Wall (parts 1 and 2). I love classic-era Camel, but there's nothing on Gilmour's level. Camel and Latimer were *clearly* listening to a *lot* of Floyd. But I'm not sure Gilmour or Waters ever listened to Camel...

Yeah, I'd love to know what Gilmour thinks about Camel.

Not mainstream enough :]
jude111 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2013 at 13:55
Originally posted by Horizons Horizons wrote:

Not mainstream enough :]

I'm sure they'd have loved to have been more mainstream, got their songs played on the radio and more Americans listening to them. I think Camel had bad timing and arrived a bit too late. Moonmadness came out in 1976. But Camel kept trying to break into the mainstream, even going pop/New Wave by the late 70s and early 80s.

Despite Floyd's success, I think they were much more original. But I really like 70s Camel as well...

BUT:::::::: I realized I misunderstood Horizon's post, haha, sorry. That's another interesting thing you raise. I have the feeling that Gilmour probably *did* listen to more mainstream music. I'm willing to bet that even though Floyd's my favorite band, I probably wouldn't like the music that influenced Gilmour and Waters that much. You know, all those 50s albums and early 60s rock and roll that he grew up with, but which sound horribly dated to my ears...

Edited by jude111 - August 12 2013 at 14:01
charles_ryder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2015 at 14:51
Andy is my favorite guitarist. Moreover he is some more than just guitarist, unlike David.
om mani padme hum
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2015 at 23:04
Originally posted by charles_ryder charles_ryder wrote:

Andy is my favorite guitarist. Moreover he is some more than just guitarist, unlike David.

Gilmour is also more than just a guitarist. He is a superb songwriter and singer. Much better singer than Latimer, that's for sure... and in general I like Floyd's songs better than Camel's (and indeed there are some superb Camel songs... it's just that Floyd is my very favourite band), and many of those were written by Gilmour, and many otheres were co-written with him.
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2015 at 02:42
DG has a fine voice. Not something that can be said about many prog lead guitarists (Steve Hs). AL sounds ok but a little through the nose and bland at times. Both on par as writers, imaginations plenty. As axe meisters, first class, can listen to these guys play forever and not get tired, they know pacing and phrasing, how to out solos into musical sentences, bless they'd never work in certain metal bands... I think DG may be a little more signature sound oriented i.e. distinctive but AL has his lyricism and big ideas as well.

Choose?

Er...
Michael678 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2015 at 10:05
GILMOUR DAMNIT!!!!!!!!!
Progrockdude
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2015 at 22:37
Originally posted by uduwudu uduwudu wrote:

DG has a fine voice. Not something that can be said about many prog lead guitarists (Steve Hs). AL sounds ok but a little through the nose and bland at times. Both on par as writers, imaginations plenty. As axe meisters, first class, can listen to these guys play forever and not get tired, they know pacing and phrasing, how to out solos into musical sentences, bless they'd never work in certain metal bands... I think DG may be a little more signature sound oriented i.e. distinctive but AL has his lyricism and big ideas as well.

Choose?

Er...

Actually, even though I consider Gilmour to be easily a better singer than Latimer, I think Latimer (and bandmates) sound perfect on their songs, and I wouldn't really have any other "better" singer on Mirage or Moonmadness.
Matthew _Gill View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2015 at 06:32
39 votes each and I can't decide between them yet, I've just discovered the Camel song Lawrence and it's made the decision to choose one over the other impossible.

Gilmour has the crafted atmosphere but Latimer the raw emotion. 

THAT TRIPLE SOLO AT THE END! I can't for the life of me think of a better prog song than this, maybe PF's Echoes or Shadow of the Heirophant at a push.

akaBona View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2015 at 18:13
few years ago I would not have believed what just happened: gave my vote vote to Latimer, not Gilmour. but lately I've been listening Camel so much and I'm fascinated by Latimer's playing. So beautiful, so emotional.
b_olariu View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2015 at 06:02
latimer for sure
crimhead View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2015 at 13:41
The guy in Floyd. Latimer is good but he's no Gilmour.
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2015 at 15:23

Originally posted by dennismoore dennismoore wrote:

This why I always say that Prog Archives is the most hilarious place on the internet by far!

LOL   LOL  LOL   LOL   LOL   LOL   LOL  LOL   LOL   LOL    LOL   LOL  LOL   LOL   LOL 

Comparing the guy in Camel to David Gilmour?

LOL   LOL  LOL   LOL   LOL   LOL   LOL  LOL   LOL   LOL    LOL   LOL  LOL   LOL   LOL 

I prefer Gilmour, but Latimer is incredibly great too.

Make up your mind already, Beavis.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>