Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Your favorite proggie song of Muse

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pietro Otello Romano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Your favorite proggie song of Muse
    Posted: August 08 2013 at 16:34
I am not a big fan of them, but nowadays they are probably the best band in the boring mainstream market.
They are very good musicians, with an hint of Prog.
My Muse's favorite song is "City of Delusion" from "Black holes and Revelations", what about your choice?
"We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful

what we pretend to be."

Mother Night - Kurt Vonnegut
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horizons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2013 at 16:47
I've never understood the claim that Muse has prog tendencies. 
Absolution is a great alt-rock album though. 

Favorite song by them is Falling Away With You. Favorite "proggiest" song? Knights of Cyndonia, i suppose. That seems to be their claim of progressiveness. 
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleeper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2013 at 18:06
Butterflies and Hurricanes I think, but they've got a lot of really good songs of a high quality.
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr prog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2013 at 18:21
They're crap
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horizons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2013 at 18:26
Originally posted by sleeper sleeper wrote:

Butterflies and Hurricanes I think, but they've got a lot of really good songs of a high quality.

Pretty much all of Symmetry and Absolution imo. From there it gets a bit more scattered though.
Earthmover View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earthmover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2013 at 19:00
Creep. What a great song. Not the proggiest, but whatever.

Edited by mister nobody - August 08 2013 at 19:01
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2013 at 20:49
Originally posted by mister nobody mister nobody wrote:

??

Knights of Cyndonia
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Metalmarsh89 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Metalmarsh89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2013 at 20:55
Originally posted by mister nobody mister nobody wrote:

Wacko

My favorite proggy Muse song would be Knights of Cydonia. They don't have many really proggy songs, but they do have plenty of good ones.
RedNightmareKing View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RedNightmareKing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2013 at 22:12
Citizen Erased or Space Dementia from Origin of Symmetry. Both extremely cool tracks. From Absolution I'd have to pick Butterflies and Hurricanes. As for Black Holes, Knights of Cydonia and Hoodoo. Resistance and 2nd Law are crap for prog, except maybe Exogenesis from the former. 
I consider drone metal to be progressive...
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horizons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2013 at 22:15
Seems it was successful.
RedNightmareKing View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RedNightmareKing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2013 at 22:19
Well I mean... it wasn't as progressive as it could've been. Muse has really gotten caught up in their bombastic alternative ways lately, more comparable to Queen than anything. Their older prog roots with extended technical passages in Origin aren't as visible as they were to me. 
I consider drone metal to be progressive...
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horizons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2013 at 22:21
True - but sorry i wasn't referring to your post - more of an inside joke ;)

2nd Law is very bad. 
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2013 at 01:32
Megalomania

jude111 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jude111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2013 at 07:00

Citizen Erased. My 2nd favorite: I used to hate "Unintended," but after repeated playings by my wife, it's grown on me. Sure, it's an utterly ridiculous track. But that's kind of the point. It's so medieval - that makes it proggy/folk, I s'poze.

Edited by jude111 - August 09 2013 at 07:04
Earthmover View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earthmover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2013 at 12:40
Originally posted by Horizons Horizons wrote:

Seems it was successful.

Only two people though. But I'm content.

Edited by mister nobody - August 09 2013 at 12:40
Yetheract View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yetheract Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2018 at 18:03
I really liked Defector the first time I heard it but after a while it gets really boring.
One of my favourite songs is Take A Bow. Nobody ever really talks about it but it has one of my favourite lines of theirs: "our freedom is consuming itself," which also has an excellent melody and harmony. 
But my actual favourite is MK Ultra. I think it's one of their most underrated songs but I love the guitar part and the effects and just everything. Another of my favourite lines of theirs is in that song "all of history deleted with one stroke." My one complaint is that it could've had a better ending.
tempest_77 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tempest_77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2018 at 19:21
Either Butterflies and Hurricanes or Citizen Erased. I'll also give a shoutout to Exogenesis: Symphony, as it's probably the proggiest thing they have.
I use they/them pronouns (feel free to ask me about this!)

Check out my music on my bandcamp!
 Post Reply Post Reply