Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNIL, Thork, Syrinx (Maurin Brothers)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Topic: NIL, Thork, Syrinx (Maurin Brothers)
    Posted: August 11 2013 at 04:25

I've been a huge fan of these acts for the past couple of years. Starting out with NIL's Nil Novo Sub Sole, I since became aware of the sister bands Syrinx and Thork, who both sound very in line with that unique and slightly tumultuous vibe of NIL. 
I know there are a few fans on this board, but it still remains a mystery to me how come more folks haven't picked up on them. Personally I think either of these bands would do themselves good in releasing something as soon as possible here on the momentary cusp of prog interest. 

So do any of you people know of these bands, and perhaps even more importantly: does anybody know whether any of them still exist? Last album from NIL was in 2005, while Syrinx released Qualia in 08. Thork's Nula Jedan came out in 07, so it's been some 5 years since the brothers did anything related to these projectsOuch

I'm not going to embed vids here, but I'll throw a couple of links for those of you are interested in a little musica:
NIL - excerpt from Qurante Jours Sur Le Sïnai (a concept album shrouded in ancient Egyptian mythology) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqaBg4R6KxU
Couldn't find anything from Thork.

“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2013 at 06:27
Yep it's a real shame these bands are not so popular. Every one of them represents a different side of the brothers and each and every one of them is essential.
I have all three albums by Thork, Nil's Novo Sub Sole and Reification from Syrinx. My favorite I guess is Thork - Weila, a heavy rocking album with a haunting atmosphere, superb stuff! Nil and Syrinx albums takes the second place I guess, both fantastic!
I'm glad there's a thread about them, they definitely deserve it.

And here's Thork on myspace..

http://myspace.com/thorkmusic/music/songs
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2013 at 06:34
Thank you SagiThumbs Up
I had a feeling you would be dropping by heh. 
It's been a while since I last spun that Thork album, though I seem to recall writing a review for it. 
BTW do you know if the band still exists? Heck, do you know if either of these still exist?

“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Apsalar View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2013 at 07:02
was a big fan of Nil Novo Sub Sole when it came out. unfortunately the love i found for Nil failed to translate into affections for either Thork or Syrinx, tho' the signature aesthetics made them immediately recognizable as related projects. probably more a blip in my tastes than anything else. that being said, it has been ages since i've pulled any of these discs out (2006-07 maybe), and i'm almost happy to leave the pleasant memories i have of Nil was they were.  
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2013 at 07:05
Kinda sad to have wonderful music lying around - not listening to it, because one's memories of it are too great to be surpassed.

- Douglas Adams
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2013 at 07:11
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Thank you SagiThumbs Up
It's been a while since I last spun that Thork album, though I seem to recall writing a review for it. 
BTW do you know if the band still exists? Heck, do you know if either of these still exist?

Well now you've maid me curious too! I was always sure they would pop out in one form or another, I'm still sure they will.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2013 at 07:14
Originally posted by Sagichim Sagichim wrote:

Thank you SagiThumbs Up

Well now you've maid me curious too! I was always sure they would pop out in one form or another, I'm still sure they will.

Assuming they'll keep making music, then it wouldn't surprise me if they recorded under a new moniker.

- Douglas Adams
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2013 at 10:34
Yesterday I spun NIL's debut and it was even better than I remember. The mellotron and atmosphere are fantastic. Not much in the way of vocals on this one, just a long trippy journey through the desert.
I was really surprised to learn that the first SYRINX album was released the same year as the first NIL record. I just assumed SYRINX was something the Maurin brothers did a few years later.
Also that first SYRINX album has nothing in the liner notes to suggest who the band were. Apparently they did that on purpose, kind of like some of the great artists who would leave their name off of their artwork so people would pay more attention to the creation rather than the creator.
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2013 at 10:42
I only have the last two NIL did, so I don't know that first one. 
Hey John, do you incidentally know anything about these bands' current statuses?

- Douglas Adams
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2013 at 14:37

I only have the last two NIL did, so I don't know that first one. 
Hey John, do you incidentally know anything about these bands' current statuses?

Unfortunately I don't. I have exchanged messages with the bass player(Maurin brother) a few years ago but I have no info on their current goings on.  They have seemed to let THORK rest in other hands but NIL and SYRINX were their babies until the last albums of both.  By the way I don't have the debut but the next two like you(my mistake). 
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2013 at 18:24
I quite like Syrinx's second.

Nil's NNSS hasn't fully clicked with me yet, though I do enjoy it. Haven't ever found a Thork cd. hahasadface
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
johnobvious View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2013 at 19:30
i have the last two NIL albums and they are tough to get into.  This is very deep music that deserves more of an effort than I have been willing to give. Shame on me, perhaps. Immediate and accessible they certainly are not. I have had them both for at least 6 years and have listened to each probably five times since that's kind of how I operate. I go years between listens on most stuff unless it really is some of my favorite music and even then it can be a long while. I'll get them into the rotation soon.
Biggles was in rehab last Saturday
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2013 at 19:41
I immediately got hooked. I think it was Frank Niebel's drumming. Speaking from a drummer's point of view, he does some insane things on those two records. I have no idea how he pulls them off, but it certainly made me listen to the rhythm section from the get go. Man I love that chapman stick as well.

- Douglas Adams
PhideauxFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2013 at 00:04
I've got albums from these excellent french bands. My favorite is Thork: Nula Jedan. Smile

Edited by PhideauxFan - August 12 2013 at 00:06
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2013 at 01:18
Oh yes! That Taal album is another masterpiece!! It's my favorite among those.
 Post Reply Post Reply