FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedFates Warning in Budapest at A38 Boat,

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fates Warning in Budapest at A38 Boat,
    Posted: October 18 2013 at 10:52
On this Wednesday, other words  the 16th of October, 2013 the underrated legends of progressive metal came to Budapest. The gig took place inside of the A38 boat, a venue which has been voted to the best club in the world.
Well, fortunately the terrace is way too tiny even for Fates Warning fans, however it was large enough for Unexpect fans in 2011 August, and it was a rainy and stormy evening, so inside the boat was a better option is any aspect...
Fortunately a few hundred fans came, maybe more than half of the venue was filled with Fates Warning fans.
There was an opening band called Divided Multitude from Norway, who generally failed to impress yours truly.
Actually I could believe that a rather talentless Dream Symphony's Warning from Hungary from around 1999 is on stage.
The good thing was that their gig started in time, and it was not very long.
The real attraction of the night did not disappoint.
Unfortunately Fates Warning had to play without Frank Aresti, so the for me unknown Mike Abdow handled the second guitar beside Jim Matheos. I wonder if  masterful drummer Bobby Jarzombek could invite his brother.Wink
However, Abdow was really  good.
Ray Alder's voice was in a much better shape, than it was in 2005, the last time I saw them at Wigwam Rock Club.
The performance of the whole band was excellent, and the obviously enjoyed the gid.
Even Jim Matheos smiled a  bit.Smile
You can have a look at the setlist here:
http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/fates-warning/2013/a38-budapest-hungary-63c71247.html
The setlist is not very varied on this tour, obviously because Abdow had not enough time to learn the majority of the Fates Warning catalogue.
The suberb new album Darkness in a Different Light wsas represented by three songs. From Perfect Symmetry onwards all albums were represented by at least one track.
I regret a bit that they only played Through Different Eyes fromthe classic  Perfect Symmetry, but  other than this I enjoyed the concert immensely,  the 90-100 minutes  were gone very quickly.
And Still Remains is really awesome, even without a keyboard player.
I was very glad to see Fates Warning in an excellent shape at a great venue, because the 2005 gig had some shortcomings.

Edited by Norbert - October 29 2013 at 13:36
 Post Reply Post Reply