Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > I Have A Question For You......?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPost length limitations / issues

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Post length limitations / issues
    Posted: November 24 2013 at 07:19
Hi, I have some question:

My article 'An illustrated guide to Prog instruments' posted in the Prog Blogs section (link below) was already quite long in its original form, in big part due to the many pictures. I posted it at once and this resulted in that there were no page breaks, the whole article went into page 1, apparently the system introduces page breaks only with new posts (which is logic).
After the original post I have been editing the article a few times and adding new stuff. I always opted for adding the new stuff by editing the original post rather than adding new posts so the article would keep a coherent and unified structure, rather than having a collection of disjointed posts spread in different pages and interspersed with the posts by other users. I guess this makes sense for this kind of article, it's not a typical blog but an article.

I still have some additional stuff I would like to add (and possibly more could come in the future?) but the post has become so large that I start to experience problems. I don't know if any other users experience similar viewing problems but sometimes (especially if the connection speed or quality is poor) the page takes very long to load all the pics and sometimes the article appears broken and disordered, for example the text & pics of some entry, say for example the keytars, will suddenly stop and continue with the text and pics of basses, and the missing text and pics of the keytars will appear somewhere else.

In view mode this happens only sometimes, but if I enter the edit mode it happens nearly always, the article order appears shuffled so I do not dare to change anything and push 'ok' for fear of messing up the whole thing. So it seems like I can not edit my article anymore, I can't make any corrections or add any new stuff.

Now, I guess that the best solution is to re-post the article split in several pages so that no single page gets too large. For that I guess I need to post some part, then close, then continue in a new post, close again, continue in a new post etc. I assume that when the previous post length was more than x, the system will automatically start the next part in a new page (and I hope I can complete the whole thing before someone posts something in between the different parts, so the article can remain a unity).

So my questions are, before I undertake the work of doing it manually:

a) to any users who may have lately viewed the article: do you experience viewing problems, wrong order of the text or pics, pics do not get loaded etc?

b) to the Admins:
b1: do I need to do it manually starting a brand new thread? (I would then ask you to lock or delete the existing thread). Or could you perhaps introduce some page breaks in the current article?

b2: do you know what is the approximate length after which the system will introduce a page break? (so I can split the article in chunks of approximately a convenient length). Does it depend on text length only or text + pics length? (if the latter, I assume that pics size have also an impact, the bigger the pics the sooner the system will introduce a page break when a new post is created). 

Edited by Gerinski - November 24 2013 at 07:20
 Post Reply Post Reply