Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedVangelis interview 2013

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vangelis interview 2013
    Posted: November 28 2013 at 00:18
Great interview of such a humble musician/artist from Al Jazeera

<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2013 at 10:06
Hi,

I hope that film about him gets released some day before we all die!

The weird thing is that according to Vangelis himself he is very much a person that composes things and does not second guess a lot of his work, so seeing a film take this long is scary and ... pathetic! Makes me think that the film maker is an idiot and can not do a film in the Hollywood style that would not show Vangelis as well.

I'm looking forward to seeing this!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
aapatsos View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2013 at 11:14
Brilliant and honest, and a bit philosophical - thanks for sharing Chris Clap
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2013 at 11:26
I'll have to watch that when I get home.  Long time V fan.  Thanks for sharing.
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2013 at 16:42
Originally posted by aapatsos aapatsos wrote:

Brilliant and honest, and a bit philosophical - thanks for sharing Chris Clap

Yes , incredible to think that at this juncture in life he still does not read or write music. No wonder he relates to music as a universal medium as in nature, the language we can all understand. A wise and content older man springs to mindSmile
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2013 at 21:47
have to check that

dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2013 at 22:22
Hmmm.....can't read or write music. Is this the same humble man who once told Howe and other members of Yes that the guitar was not a proper musical instrument?
LOL
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Prog_Traveller View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2013 at 22:46
Did they ask him if he ever made up with Jon Anderson? Tongue
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2013 at 02:29
Originally posted by Prog_Traveller Prog_Traveller wrote:

That was the one question they weren't allowed to ask him. He's still waiting for Jon to send him a cheque for Page of Life.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2013 at 02:57
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Originally posted by Prog_Traveller Prog_Traveller wrote:

That was the one question they weren't allowed to ask him. He's still waiting for Jon to send him a cheque for Page of Life.

they should give me a refund first thoughBig smile

Listened to a bit of Beauborg this morning. Only Vangelis makes this sort of stuff compelling.

I'll listen to the interview later

Edited by richardh - November 30 2013 at 02:57
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2013 at 10:54
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Hmmm.....can't read or write music. Is this the same humble man who once told Howe and other members of Yes that the guitar was not a proper musical instrument?
LOL

I don't think he means "read and write music" in a classical sense.

But in a previous interview that I have heard, he described his composing process as just a painting, where you now add another color, and then another line and a different color and sometimes things become a bit different in the end!

If all he did was write note per note, in the conventional style, I doubt that he would be well known. It also explains why he does not do concerts for the most part. He's too intuitive and creative and wants to do different things all the time and the strength it takes for him to do something that is not a part of his creative process, is not likely to be helpful or required for him to do his work!

Again, we distrust people that say things like this! And there are many people that work off a sound, instead of a note, and we still don't believe it, even when we hear someone talk about it. More than half rock music is off a sound, not a note or chord!

This is one of the elements that the 20th century added to music ... recording ... that was not available before and the only way you knew that someone played something this way or that, was if someone showed it to you, and now you don't have to wait ... you can hear it!

Vangelis, is a modern day composer!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2013 at 15:18
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

LOL

I don't think he means "read and write music" in a classical sense.

But in a previous interview that I have heard, he described his composing process as just a painting, where you now add another color, and then another line and a different color and sometimes things become a bit different in the end!

If all he did was write note per note, in the conventional style, I doubt that he would be well known. It also explains why he does not do concerts for the most part. He's too intuitive and creative and wants to do different things all the time and the strength it takes for him to do something that is not a part of his creative process, is not likely to be helpful or required for him to do his work!

Again, we distrust people that say things like this! And there are many people that work off a sound, instead of a note, and we still don't believe it, even when we hear someone talk about it. More than half rock music is off a sound, not a note or chord!

This is one of the elements that the 20th century added to music ... recording ... that was not available before and the only way you knew that someone played something this way or that, was if someone showed it to you, and now you don't have to wait ... you can hear it!

Vangelis, is a modern day composer!
Interesting post but you completely missed my point. 
LOL
The point was Vangelis was being a 'jerk' when he called another person's instrument a non musical one when he isn't even a trained musician himself.
Haquin
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2013 at 08:21

LOL
The point was Vangelis was being a 'jerk' when he called another person's instrument a non musical one when he isn't even a trained musician himself.

So the possibility that he made a joke about the guitar is not acceptable? He started in a band that had a guitar, but I would think/imagine that his point is that he doesn't need the ego that comes with it, which is an acceptable comment about the guitar players, not the instrument itself.

I have 3 different interviews with Vangelis, and that would be his humor in my book. It's no different when I mention the teaspoons and folks here go ... what? How can progressive music have teaspoons? .... well, Vangelis DOES!

But remember, just like here, foreign humor is not allowed because the English speaking world invented it! And they are the only ones allowed to talk about it, and discuss it in a public bulletin board!

Edited by moshkito - December 03 2013 at 08:22
www.pedrosena.com
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2013 at 10:36

LOL

So the possibility that he made a joke about the guitar is not acceptable? He started in a band that had a guitar, but I would think/imagine that his point is that he doesn't need the ego that comes with it, which is an acceptable comment about the guitar players, not the instrument itself.

I have 3 different interviews with Vangelis, and that would be his humor in my book. It's no different when I mention the teaspoons and folks here go ... what? How can progressive music have teaspoons? .... well, Vangelis DOES!

But remember, just like here, foreign humor is not allowed because the English speaking world invented it! And they are the only ones allowed to talk about it, and discuss it in a public bulletin board!
Apparently Anderson and the rest of Yes didn't consider it a joke.
Confused
Haquin
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2013 at 09:24

Confused

Doesn't add up! Vangelis still says very nice things about Jon and he says the same about Vangelis!

But in reality, a "guitar" as we know it, is NOT a part of most orchestra designs, and still does not have a thread in Tchaikovsky and Stravinsky ... so hearing Vangelis say that is even funnier ... but then, they didn't have the thread for teaspoons either!

It's too easy to mis-understand foreign peoples that do not speak English, but we automatically assume that it's wrong!

Edited by moshkito - December 04 2013 at 09:24
www.pedrosena.com
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2013 at 09:44

Confused

Doesn't add up! Vangelis still says very nice things about Jon and he says the same about Vangelis!

But in reality, a "guitar" as we know it, is NOT a part of most orchestra designs, and still does not have a thread in Tchaikovsky and Stravinsky ... so hearing Vangelis say that is even funnier ... but then, they didn't have the thread for teaspoons either!

It's too easy to mis-understand foreign peoples that do not speak English, but we automatically assume that it's wrong!
Anything's possible but then the story is still there.; maybe we need to get Jon and Vangelis on the board and hash it out?
And the guitar , stringed instrument, is one of the earliest musical instruments, before keys ,   even though it later did not feature prominently in orchestras.
You seem to have a fixation on misunderstanding 'foreign peoples'. I doubt if that had anything to do with the original comment by Vangelis but maybe he had a very 'dry' sense of humor that day when talking to Anderson.
Ermm
Haquin
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2013 at 09:22

And the guitar , stringed instrument, is one of the earliest musical instruments, before keys , even though it later did not feature prominently in orchestras. ...

Let's see ... the Portland Orchestra just did a thing and I looked. No guitars or amplifiers except for the microphone so you could hear the conductor say Good Evening and Good Night!

You seem to have a fixation on misunderstanding 'foreign peoples'. I doubt if that had anything to do with the original comment by Vangelis but maybe he had a very 'dry' sense of humor that day when talking to Anderson.
Ermm

Because it is frustrating as all hell being in an English speaking board, and every one thinks you are the debil and can't speak engrish and your opinions are totally screwed up, because the English speaking world invented the media and still acts like they own the world for it, and invented progressive music, and rock music, and jazz and war, and bullsh*t and everything else! And to this day the "progressive" definition is an "all-english" affair, with not appreciation or mention of the other relative areas and things that inspired it.

If you think Vangelis has opinions, wait until you hear from Edgar Froese. Or Klaus Schulze! They are merely being polite by not saying anything, because folks like you won't get it, and will go on a tirade that Mosh is a pit and has ideas up his as$.

You have to stand up for your work. But a lot of people do not "believe", and further more "understand" where the work comes from, and that in itself is an issue that we are not willing to study and appreciate, which is what the history of the arts, for the most part, has been all about!
www.pedrosena.com
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2014 at 12:28
Hi,

Excellent video.

The hard part, is discussing what he considers "music" and then calling what he does "nature".

It's the difference between being 100% intuitive, and what we consider "music". We have come to the point that we believe only this and that and done this way is "music" and no one else can think otherwise, or do something different. 

THAT is the clue that it has become so commercialized and we need another 60's revolution to wake folks up to the fact that we can't explore anymore and we're not allowed to learn different things, except the same different chords and this time we will call it differently than the other one because you used the pinkie backwards instead of not!

We have become such a dis-disillusioned society that we can not even believe that someone can do something different, or that someone is not interested in the social belief and life that we're stuck on! And the worst part ... they are creative and we aren't!

As Jim Morrison would scream .. .WAKE UP! HAS THIS DREAM STOPPED?
www.pedrosena.com
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2014 at 13:08
I remember reading about him being self taught in a Keyboard magazine interview in the late '70's.  Certainly one of my inspirations. Big smile
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2014 at 01:48

Hi,

Excellent video.

The hard part, is discussing what he considers "music" and then calling what he does "nature".

It's the difference between being 100% intuitive, and what we consider "music". We have come to the point that we believe only this and that and done this way is "music" and no one else can think otherwise, or do something different. 

THAT is the clue that it has become so commercialized and we need another 60's revolution to wake folks up to the fact that we can't explore anymore and we're not allowed to learn different things, except the same different chords and this time we will call it differently than the other one because you used the pinkie backwards instead of not!

We have become such a dis-disillusioned society that we can not even believe that someone can do something different, or that someone is not interested in the social belief and life that we're stuck on! And the worst part ... they are creative and we aren't!

As Jim Morrison would scream .. .WAKE UP! HAS THIS DREAM STOPPED?

BUT Vangelis was a commercial artist. When he moved to England he was put forward as the next Tomita with a dash of Rick Wakeman and a touch of the ELP's.

I think he slotted readily into this with Heaven and Hell and Albedo but then Beauborg was maybe his 'rebellion' against record company expectations. All popular musicians in the seventies had to work within parameters. This supposed freedom of expression you always allude to has rarely ever existed imo.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>