Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Vinyl

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 308309310311312>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
hugo1995 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hugo1995 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2024 at 14:21
You from NZ? In all my years here I've met one guy in 2016, because I was wearing a Yes tshirt at Pink Floyd Experience at which he said "nice tshirt". Lol. We really are a progless country.

Anyway: I have a pretty big vinyl collection ($2,700 USD value which I track on discogs). A significant amount of these records are over $100, some more. My rarest album is a german krautrock album called Air - Teilweise Kacke... ...aber Stereo, then Soft Machine Third is pretty pricy these days.

For the past two years or so I have been collecting CD's, prog rock CD's from Europe from the 90s and 2000s. You can get them incredibly cheap and I enjoy listening to CD's in the car. I also speculate that CD's will make a cult return one day, probably in the next ten-fifteen years, just like how vinyl did. I don't collect to sell, but I collect to hold a piece of 70s prog history (or 90s/00s in the case of CDs).
interests: Moon Safari, Gilgamesh, Egg, ELP, Soft Machine, Gong, Opeth (Everything pre watershed), Brighteye Brison, The Flower Kings
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2024 at 14:23
Today's impulse purchase.

I heard that a, somewhat local (25 minute drive), video game store was selling used records. So since I had to head that way this morning I dropped in before I left town and was completely surprised at both the volume and the price/quality they had available.
I grabbed these two and left behind about 7 others I had already pulled out and was walking around with before realizing it wasn't in my budget right now. Cry
Astra was $15, Ammerland was $25, more than fair I think.

Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2024 at 18:35
Originally posted by hugo1995 hugo1995 wrote:

You from NZ? In all my years here I've met one guy in 2016, because I was wearing a Yes tshirt at Pink Floyd Experience at which he said "nice tshirt". Lol. We really are a progless country.

Anyway: I have a pretty big vinyl collection ($2,700 USD value which I track on discogs). A significant amount of these records are over $100, some more. My rarest album is a german krautrock album called Air - Teilweise Kacke... ...aber Stereo, then Soft Machine Third is pretty pricy these days.

For the past two years or so I have been collecting CD's, prog rock CD's from Europe from the 90s and 2000s. You can get them incredibly cheap and I enjoy listening to CD's in the car. I also speculate that CD's will make a cult return one day, probably in the next ten-fifteen years, just like how vinyl did. I don't collect to sell, but I collect to hold a piece of 70s prog history (or 90s/00s in the case of CDs).
Not from NZ but I traveled there for business a few times, a lovely country that I need to return to soon. Problem is that is a spendy tix from the US Cry, I have several friends I need to visit.

My Third is a Holland press, and is NM-/VG+++, I'd value mine at about USD65.00.......but I would never sell it. Thumbs Down. I also keep most of my records on Discogs.

Speaking of Discogs here is a great interview with CEO and COO of Discogs....

King of Loss View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King of Loss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2024 at 19:51

$2,700 minimum or median amount? That's not a really big vinyl collection IMHO. My median is about $5,100 and I think I have a small collection. 

Edited by King of Loss - February 26 2024 at 19:54
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2024 at 05:08
My current LP/CD collection has a replacement value of approx. $51,000.00 CND, and I consider that a moderate collection LOL
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2024 at 12:07
Originally posted by King of Loss King of Loss wrote:

$2,700 minimum or median amount? That's not a really big vinyl collection IMHO. My median is about $5,100 and I think I have a small collection. 
Ha!!! I actually read his post as 2,700 records after he said pretty big vinyl collection.....My median value is showing about $23K. Although it could show $123K as I'm never selling. Regardless, the size is not too important as much as what joy you get out of your records when you spin them.
I remember reading that most collectors only listen to about 30% of their collection on avg regularly, kinda makes sense if you have 100 records that the bulk of what you spin is about 30 records regularly...

Something to ponder it seems.......Cool
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2024 at 13:39

Picking up original vinyl tomorrow from the local record shop
Smile
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
King of Loss View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King of Loss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 29 2024 at 17:53
The new Big Big Train album has arrived. I got it from Laser's Edge. Amazing record! Thumbs Up
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2024 at 10:15
Originally posted by King of Loss King of Loss wrote:

The new Big Big Train album has arrived. I got it from Laser's Edge. Amazing record! Thumbs Up

did it come by train, plane or automobile?? LOL
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2024 at 09:22
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2024 at 11:24
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

Welcome Back My Friends to the Debate That Never Ends...Ladies and Gentlemen LP or CD ?

Oh boy......LOL. The article has the same old stuff, some of it very debatable even the "scientific proof" stuff. Vinyl has a SNR of about 78-80dB, not too shabby, CD is about 94dB......I agree that none of this matters much as once the music starts it's hard to differentiate. You CAN hear a difference in the redbook sampling rate, that's why we have "listener fatigue", due to the ADC and DAC conversions and the separated bits, it causes your brain to try and fill in the blank spots and will give you a headache and fatigue, let alone what brick walled CDs can do to you.
What article also fails to mention is you can record a wider frequency range on vinyl than you can on a CD, scientific proof that redbook cuts off below 20Hz and above 20KHz......Vinyl has been recorded with 5Hz and as much as 100KHz as a test. A simple cymbal crash can reach 60kHz, you won't experience the decay of those sounds on a CD.

I like CDs very much, durable and easy to rip to my portable media player.......but not engaging in a long listening session.

There is much more to discuss......
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2024 at 16:18
Like I said...NEVER ENDS !

One another note, I now have all the components for my office/listening room system.
NAD C315BEE Amp
Dual 606 TT with Ortofon Cart and Tonar replacement stylus
NAD PP-1 Phone Pre-Amp
Sony CDP-491 CD Player
B&W DM110i Speakers

Samsung 45" Smart TV
LG BP350 BluRay Player

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2024 at 16:42
^ very sweet!
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2024 at 16:52

Welcome Back My Friends to the Debate That Never Ends...Ladies and Gentlemen LP or CD ?

I surely prefer the sound quality of pure analog productions, but thanks to my programmable CD player, I can live with CDs when it's very important to me to listen to other album versions than the original (fewer tracks/in another order). That's my story put in short.

And I hope, you'll enjoy your system, JD.

Edited by David_D - March 05 2024 at 15:00
                      quality over quantity, and all kind of PopcoRn almost beyond
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2024 at 02:49

Btw, now can this debate be done in a more objective way compared to in the 1980s when the new CD technology was promoted by whatever means.
                      quality over quantity, and all kind of PopcoRn almost beyond
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2024 at 07:40
I’m not going to list my gear, but for me to better my analog rig in digital would be about 3x the value of what I have. Plus I’d have to spend even more money on buying CDs. Also hi res digital files are the way to go but again more money and the variety of what we listen to does not exist on say SACDs or downloads.
I don’t even listen to CDs at home. I rip all to my media player and just have it in random play all day long.

The CD is for convenience and even that has become useless…..It’s not considered for hi fi listening enjoyment or music engagement, it does not pull you in like vinyl does.

I love my system and it’s built for analog no CD I have can best it.

Enjoy your music!
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2024 at 15:44

One another note, I now have all the components for my office/listening room system.
NAD C315BEE Amp
NAD PP-1 Phone Pre-Amp
Sony CDP-491 CD Player
B&W DM110i Speakers

Samsung 45" Smart TV
LG BP350 BluRay Player

Looks good!
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2024 at 15:46
Originally posted by David_D David_D wrote:

Btw, now can this debate be done in a more objective way compared to in the 1980s when the new CD technology was promoted by whatever means.

Go ahead and start that debate, you first....Big smile
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2024 at 15:52
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

NAD C315BEE Amp
NAD PP-1 Phone Pre-Amp
Sony CDP-491 CD Player
B&W DM110i Speakers

Samsung 45" Smart TV
LG BP350 BluRay Player

[PHOTO REMOVED FOR SPACE]

Looks good!
Well now that I've been using it for a day, I already want to rearrange it a bit. I wanted all my LP's in a continuous row, but now I think I may take the first column on the left and slide it over near the stool. Then centre the other three on the TV and put the speakers at the end of that group for more balance and to get the right speaker out of the corner more.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2024 at 20:41
^ Speaker placement is the most important setup to get as right as possible. Glad you recognized that R speaker is not optimal. Ideally if you can pull them out from the back wall and away from the side walls that will improve the soundstage....a lot. Plus that is a free tweak that pays back.

Just try it, some people will pull the speakers out if they cannot stay there normally, then put them back against the wall. Put some tape down so you know where to put them the next time after you find the right spot. The starting spot is an equilateral triangle from your listening spot. 

Speaker placement for stereo music listening
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 308309310311312>