Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDevin Townsend Appreciation Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Devin Townsend Appreciation Thread
    Posted: April 12 2014 at 23:05
I just started collecting Devin Townsend's music over the past year, and I am completely blown away.  I have most of his studio albums, and I just ordered Retinal Circus.

Here is the order of my purchases:
Ziltoid
Terria
Epicloud
Ocean Machine: Biomech
Addicted
Ghost
Deconstruction
Accelerated Evolution
Ki
Synchestra
Infinity

Everything here is just excellent.  What order did you collect your albums?  Share your thoughts here!  One thing to mention is that buying his albums is supporting one of the most appreciative and grateful artists.  He thanks people in his concerts and seems to really appreciates his fans. I like what I have seen so far.  Share your thoughts!

Edited by javajeff - April 12 2014 at 23:12
Rihanna View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2014 at 02:33
Awesome band!
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2014 at 20:18
I haven't got any of his albums yet, but I heard some songs on internet and really got interested to get something by him. I'm thinking about getting Terria to begin with, I hope at some point this year, then I'll see if I want something more.
javajeff View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2014 at 20:28
If you buy Terria, you will want everything else that I have. I enjoy all the albums.
Raccoon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2014 at 20:55
I discovered the Mad Scientist of Metal years, years, years ago when I first took notice to this site. Terria was always rated highly, (though in the Top 100 it appears like it has dropped a bit) but when I first listened to it, I couldn't get past Mountain. I disregarded him because of the raw vocals, I couldn't handle the screams, yelling, anything metal had to offer. Now, just a few months ago, I tried him again. 

Giving Terria the full listen, instead of stopping. I realized what versatility he had. Each song was completely different, brilliant in its own way. Soon enough, Townsend was the most sought out artist I looked for in record stores. My order was: Terria, Ziltoid, Epicloud, (deluxe edition is masterful. Even disc 2 is fantastic.) Retinal Circus, Addicted!, Biomech, Ghost, then Deconstruction (which I've still yet to get into). The albums I don't have, I still listen to repeatedly. Each album stands alone, and I think I'm addicted since for about 5 weeks straight I couldn't listen to ANY other band. 
If I was heading to work, I listened to Synchestra, Terria, Addicted!, arrived back from a hard day at work and just want something a little meditative: Biomech, Epicloud, going to sleep, I could listen to Ghost or Ki. He's my favorite band by far. And will remain there for a LONG time. 12 albums I LOVE in his catalog says something.  I never tried Devlab or Hummer, but I'm satisfied so much with everything else he has to offer, I won't worry about it. 
You're right, though, it makes me appreciate Devin a little more, himself being such a sincere guy. In the Retinal Circus, he explains to the audience at one point that: "Thank you! Because of you, we're here! I wouldn't do ANY of this without you guys!" (something along those lines) My favorite live cd of all time. I hope you got the cd/dvd, too! Or at least some video of it, whether it be blu-ray or dvd! The rendition of War I like better in Retinal. And Anneke looking stunning is just an added bonus. I was thinking of making a thread about Devin Townsend, I visit his progarchives page every day just to observe the albums. I noticed you haven't listened to Physicist, you should try that next. I personally love it. 
      Check out my FREE album: A one-man project   The Distant Dynasty

https://distantdynasty.bandcamp.com/
javajeff View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2014 at 21:21
Thanks for your awesome post.  I never liked metal before, but I am really digging the prog metal offerings on this site and I find myself craving heavier music now.  I ordered the 4 disc set of Retinal Circus with the DVDs and CDs.  I think I will find Physicist next, but I was going to skip Devlab and Hummer.  I too love the diversity and feel that each album is an adventure.
TheGazzardian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2014 at 00:02
I think my order was:

Infinity
Ziltoid
Ki
Addicted
Ocean Machine
Deconstruction/Ghost
Acoustic Live
Contain Us
Terria
Synchestra
By A Thread
Epicloud (2 disc)
Retinal Circus

And I have just backed the Casualties of Cool album. Still have a few to go. The man is definitely one of my favs in metal.
Drew View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2014 at 00:04
Terria is my favorite album of all time...

Devin is my favorite artist!

Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2014 at 01:15
I have 4 albums but I've heard more.
The first two I got were Terria and Synchestra which blew my mind, the rest I know are Biomech, Ziltoid, Epicloud, Addicted and Ki but I can't get into any of them, a lot of the songs on them seems pretty straight forward.
javajeff View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2014 at 07:42
Wow!  I cannot believe you don't like Ziltoid, Epicloud, and Ki.  I consider them to be on Par with Synchestra and Terria.

Edited by javajeff - April 15 2014 at 19:00
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2014 at 13:23
Not heard any - Can you sell it to me with a short synopsis - I love long , complicated , symphonic prog (with non-religious lyrics!) - will I like any of his stuff if so where to start ??
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2014 at 21:15
Originally posted by Raccoon Raccoon wrote:

I discovered the Mad Scientist of Metal years, years, years ago when I first took notice to this site. Terria was always rated highly, (though in the Top 100 it appears like it has dropped a bit) but when I first listened to it, I couldn't get past Mountain. I disregarded him because of the raw vocals, I couldn't handle the screams, yelling, anything metal had to offer. Now, just a few months ago, I tried him again. 
<span ="Apple-tab-span" style="white-space: pre;">     </span>Giving Terria the full listen, instead of stopping. I realized what versatility he had. Each song was completely different, brilliant in its own way. Soon enough, Townsend was the most sought out artist I looked for in record stores. My order was: Terria, Ziltoid, Epicloud, (deluxe edition is masterful. Even disc 2 is fantastic.) Retinal Circus, Addicted!, Biomech, Ghost, then Deconstruction (which I've still yet to get into). The albums I don't have, I still listen to repeatedly. Each album stands alone, and I think I'm addicted since for about 5 weeks straight I couldn't listen to ANY other band. 
<span ="Apple-tab-span" style="white-space: pre;">     </span>
<span ="Apple-tab-span" style="white-space: pre;">     </span>If I was heading to work, I listened to Synchestra, Terria, Addicted!, arrived back from a hard day at work and just want something a little meditative: Biomech, Epicloud, going to sleep, I could listen to Ghost or Ki. He's my favorite band by far. And will remain there for a LONG time. 12 albums I LOVE in his catalog says something.  I never tried Devlab or Hummer, but I'm satisfied so much with everything else he has to offer, I won't worry about it. 
<span ="Apple-tab-span" style="white-space: pre;">     </span>
<span ="Apple-tab-span" style="white-space: pre;">     </span>You're right, though, it makes me appreciate Devin a little more, himself being such a sincere guy. In the Retinal Circus, he explains to the audience at one point that: "Thank you! Because of you, we're here! I wouldn't do ANY of this without you guys!" (something along those lines) My favorite live cd of all time. I hope you got the cd/dvd, too! Or at least some video of it, whether it be blu-ray or dvd! The rendition of War I like better in Retinal. And Anneke looking stunning is just an added bonus. I was thinking of making a thread about Devin Townsend, I visit his progarchives page every day just to observe the albums. I noticed you haven't listened to Physicist, you should try that next. I personally love it. 

I do like Metal a lot, but I have never really liked grunting. And that's something that has annoyed me about bands like Epica, Tristania, Haggard, Opeth, because I like lot's of their music, but the grunting ruins it, so I have chosen only the songs that are clean of those bands to listen to. However, I kind of have the feeling that those extreme, or harsh vocals that Devin uses may not be so annoying for me. There's a song on The Human Equation from Ayreon in which Devin has a very harsh grunting moment, and I might say that's one of the very few, if not the only grunting I have been able to enjoy so far (there may be one or two songs with grunting that I enjoy, but that is despite the grunting). Still, I hope he uses enough clean singing in his albums, just in case.
javajeff View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2014 at 19:04
Physicist has the one track Kingdom also on Epicloud which I have.  Physicist sound a little noisier than the other releases based on samples.  Kingdom is a great track and it does sound different on Physicist.  He did the same thing on Addicted by adding Hyperdrive a Ziltoid track.  Anyone else like Physicist?  Why does he reuse tracks on albums?

Edited by javajeff - April 15 2014 at 20:43
Raccoon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2014 at 21:37
I think the Namaste track is fantastic, Material, Kingdom, The Complex, and Planet Rain. Never thought it should be a 3* album, a little more credit is due than that. I've never got into Infinity, though. Probably because I've listened to Retinal before that, which has updated tracks FROM that album with vocals from Anneke. Adds variety, depth, and Anneke to the songs!

I forgive him for reusing tracks. They all have different elements to them, and he always picks songs that aren't bad to start out with. Just a little different take on it. I love both versions of Hyperdrive and Kingdom (though I like the Epicloud version better). I always thought it was interesting, but it never bothered me. It surprised me with all his musical ideas that he ended up reusing a song on a previous album. The bonus disc for Epicloud (Epiclouder) is about 48 minutes long!! And there's fantastic songs! But again, I don't mind, since Kingdom on Epicloud is one of my favorite all-time songs from the man.

Raccoon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2014 at 21:43
I do like Metal a lot, but I have never really liked grunting. And that's something that has annoyed me about bands like Epica, Tristania, Haggard, Opeth, because I like lot's of their music, but the grunting ruins it, so I have chosen only the songs that are clean of those bands to listen to. However, I kind of have the feeling that those extreme, or harsh vocals that Devin uses may not be so annoying for me. There's a song on The Human Equation from Ayreon in which Devin has a very harsh grunting moment, and I might say that's one of the very few, if not the only grunting I have been able to enjoy so far (there may be one or two songs with grunting that I enjoy, but that is despite the grunting). Still, I hope he uses enough clean singing in his albums, just in case.

What about a mix of grunting and clean vocals? That's what Devin's all about. And it seems like Biomech has no growling, so that may be a good place to start. The whole album's amazing, though it might take a little time to realize its brilliance. I don't think Devin grunts, too. He yells, that's for sure. But every lyric is clear. Heavier songs like Vampira has yelling and screaming, but no grunts.

Raccoon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2014 at 21:48
Originally posted by javajeff javajeff wrote:

Thanks for your awesome post.  I never liked metal before, but I am really digging the prog metal offerings on this site and I find myself craving heavier music now.  I ordered the 4 disc set of Retinal Circus with the DVDs and CDs.  I think I will find Physicist next, but I was going to skip Devlab and Hummer.  I too love the diversity and feel that each album is an adventure.
Strangely enough, I completely agree!! I never liked heavy music before, but dabbling into Opeth and Devin opened my scope. I used to think Opeth was my favorite (and only good) real heavy metal band. I didn't consider Dream Theater a heavy metal band. Now I discovered Devin and who knows what else is out there? Though, nobody will compare to Devin's brilliance, I'll tell you now, haha. 

HemispheresOfXanadu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2014 at 22:52
Originally posted by Raccoon Raccoon wrote:

What about a mix of grunting and clean vocals? That's what Devin's all about. And it seems like Biomech has no growling, so that may be a good place to start. The whole album's amazing, though it might take a little time to realize its brilliance. I don't think Devin grunts, too. He yells, that's for sure. But every lyric is clear. Heavier songs like Vampira has yelling and screaming, but no grunts.
I think he technically does 'growl' but for him it just sounds more like a really, really raw shout (as opposed to Mikael Akerfeldt etc.). For the most part his growls are in the background to augment screams, I think. You can kinda hear an instance of this at 3:00 of Vampira. He can sing lower than his growls, though, it seems:

@ProgFollower on Twitter. Tweet me muzak.
javajeff View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2014 at 23:20
I like Opeth but have trouble listening to the growling at times.  Any growling that can come from Devin has never bothered me, and the same goes for Mastodon.  Anyone that likes progressive metal with clean vocals should immediately get Symphony X, and any Devin Townsend fan should like them.  Also, I would also suggest Pain of Salvation.  I do not own any Strapping Young Lad albums, so I cannot comment on them for this thread.

Edited by javajeff - April 16 2014 at 23:21
HemispheresOfXanadu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2014 at 06:18
Strapping Young Lad might not be the best choice for anyone iffy on extreme vocals, though they have a few songs without any. Devin is really in fine form comedically in poking fun at metalheads in SYL, though.
@ProgFollower on Twitter. Tweet me muzak.
Siloportem View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2014 at 14:13
Originally posted by javajeff javajeff wrote:

Physicist has the one track Kingdom also on Epicloud which I have.  Physicist sound a little noisier than the other releases based on samples.  Kingdom is a great track and it does sound different on Physicist.  He did the same thing on Addicted by adding Hyperdrive a Ziltoid track.  Anyone else like Physicist?  Why does he reuse tracks on albums?

The different versions of kingdom and hyperdrive have Anneke on vocals. The way I understand it Devin heard Anneke do her own version of hyperdrive and invited her to collaborate on addicted!

Heard him for the first time on Ayreon's the human equation. I read he was the only one who wrote his own lyrics for the album. It was the only way Arjen could get him to participate. I loved Pain so much that I wanted to hear more. So I got synchestra and terria.

But it was addicted that really made me get into his music. Huge fan of Anneke and I was really bummed out that she left The Gathering. So that one was perfect.
Thanks !! Your topics always so good and informative. I like you talk.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>