Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedJade Warrior Appreciation Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jade Warrior Appreciation Thread
    Posted: September 26 2014 at 21:14
This is about all things pertaining to Jade Warrior. As far as I can tell there isn't one of these yet, so let's start one. JW is one of my favorite Prog bands, and I like all eras of the band equally. My two favorite albums are Released (Glyn Havard era) and Floating World (Post-Havard era). What do others think?
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2014 at 21:30
We've been waiting for Jon Field to put out a new Jade Warrior album for quite awhile. The official site says he's working on it, and it's supposed to be called Haiku. The official hasn't been updated since I start looking at it. Does anyone have any additional info on this? I hope there are no health issues.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2014 at 22:17
I have 10 of their albums but I still like the first 3 the best and prolly Autumn's Dream the most.
But I also like Floating World, Way of the Sun, and Now.
Do you have July...the early psych thing two of the members were part of?
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2014 at 23:16
I have the "Island Anthology".  Way of the Sun is my favorite, I think.
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2014 at 09:34
Last Autumn's Dream is my favorite. I especially love the "Winter's Tale"/"Snake" combo that starts the album. The debut album was my intro to them - bought the LP without knowing anything about them, because it had a proggy look. Loved that album too, but my next, "Kites", was a bit over my head. "Waves" was next, and I loved the jazzy bits on that one, with Winwood guesting on organ. Long story short, I have all the 70s albums except for "Released", which I will get someday, though I have an mp3 copy I made from a friend's LP. Though I had all four albums separately, I still got "Island Anthology" years after it went out of print, when I found it used. It's a nice package and probably collectable.

Recent stuff, I have "Eclipse", actually a much older recording unreleased intil the 90s. Haven't heard anything else. I like the band when I'm in the right mood, but I'm not a completist.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2014 at 10:05
My Jade Warrior collection......

Jade Warrior
Released
Last Autumn's Dream
Eclipse
Fifth Element
Floating World
Waves
Kites
Way Of The Sun
Elements-The Island Anthology
Reflections-(import cd from South Korea)
Horizons
At Peace
Breathing The Storm
Distant Echoes
Dogstar Poets-Off Planet
Now
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2014 at 18:09
Originally posted by dr Wu23 dr Wu23 wrote:

I have 10 of their albums but I still like the first 3 the best and prolly Autumn's Dream the most.

I knew of July from the band history on the website, but I didn't know there was an actual recording produced. I have to look into that!
Originally posted by TODDLER TODDLER wrote:

Jade Warrior
Released
Last Autumn's Dream
Eclipse
Fifth Element
Floating World
Waves
Kites
Way Of The Sun
Horizons
At Peace
Breathing The Storm
Distant Echoes
Dogstar Poets-Off Planet
Now

Fabulous collection. I never heard of Dogstar Poets-Off Planet. Would you believe I paid for Breathing the Storm just before I went to bed one night several months ago, then forgot to download it! I have to correct that.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2014 at 18:49
Originally posted by infocat infocat wrote:

Way of the Sun is nice. Very beautiful. I like the Island albums. They take you to other realms so to speak. The character is very different from what came before. In case you haven't looked into the earlier albums, I really do recommend them as well. They're more classic grooving band efforts.
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

Last Autumn's Dream is my favorite. I especially love the "Winter's Tale"/"Snake" combo that starts the album. The debut album was my intro to them - bought the LP without knowing anything about them, because it had a proggy look. Loved that album too, but my next, "Kites", was a bit over my head. "Waves" was next, and I loved the jazzy bits on that one, with Winwood guesting on organ. Long story short, I have all the 70s albums except for "Released", which I will get someday, though I have an mp3 copy I made from a friend's LP. Though I had all four albums separately, I still got "Island Anthology" years after it went out of print, when I found it used. It's a nice package and probably collectable.

Winters Tale/Snake. Jade Warrior were really masters of dynamic contrast very much like Genesis.

Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

Recent stuff, I have "Eclipse", actually a much older recording unreleased intil the 90s. Haven't heard anything else. I like the band when I'm in the right mood, but I'm not a completist.
Fifth Element is another posthumous release like Eclipse, but I think maybe I like Eclipse ever so slightly more. Fifth Element has Mountain of Fruit and Flowers, which is closely related to a similar named instrumental on Floating World. It's quite a revelation in how it bridges the gap between the old and new era.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2014 at 09:46
For awhile I've been enjoying Aquarius in Retrograde by Daniel Crommie with Glyn Havard & Friends. It has three Jade Warrior guys in it. Glyn Havard, David Duhig, and Allan Price. I just ordered the previous album, Between the Darkness and the Dawn. Hopefully it's just as good.
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2014 at 10:22

have that one too, very enjoyable
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2014 at 10:23
For all the Jade Warrior fans.....
Cool
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2014 at 17:31
Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

have that one too, very enjoyable

I don't have the anthology. I have each of the Island albums individually. I gravitated most to Floating World and then to Kites and Waves. It had been awhile since I listened to Way of the Sun, and couldn't remember it quite so vividly, so I gave it a very welcome listen again today. Very excellent. I'll recommend this to anyone. It's always amazing to me how Tony Duhig got these timbres out of distorted guitar that could sound more sublime and dreamy than gritty (aside from when he wanted it to be gritty, of course).
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2014 at 19:16
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

For all the Jade Warrior fans.....
Cool

Fascinating! Utterly cool! Thanks. It took a little while for the video to even come up on my phone, so I went to my laptop. This is a treasure. Kind of psychedelic in a Syd Barrett fashion. Kind of Beatles-like too. It's clear they were trying for a variety of timbres through electronic effects as permitted by the limited resources of the time. Lots of Tony Duhig's sensibility toward distortion. The guitar seems to have a volume swell a lot too. Something's frequently obscuring the attack on the guitar notes. Notably prior to John Field's flute playing.
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2014 at 08:19
There was a recording session which took place shortly after the release of Distant Echoes. The music was designed to be a theme revolving around the subject of a great native American chief. Anyway,...something along those lines..until band members stopped showing up for rehearsal. The tapes were maybe stored away..(I don't know?), but maybe some of the ideas for this lost material was re-arranged for NOW. Who knows? All I know is how curious I am about it! If this was another instrumental album that proceeded Distant Echoes...then we truly missed out on something special and worthwhile from Jade Warrior. Anyone have information about this?
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2014 at 09:53
Originally posted by HackettFan HackettFan wrote:

I knew of July from the band history on the website, but I didn't know there was an actual recording produced. I have to look into that!

Jade Warrior
Released
Last Autumn's Dream
Eclipse
Fifth Element
Floating World
Waves
Kites
Way Of The Sun
Horizons
At Peace
Breathing The Storm
Distant Echoes
Dogstar Poets-Off Planet
Now

Fabulous collection. I never heard of Dogstar Poets-Off Planet. Would you believe I paid for Breathing the Storm just before I went to bed one night several months ago, then forgot to download it! I have to correct that.

Off-Planet is like listening to the missing Jade Warrior album. The early style ..but more modern. Gongs, chanting, ocean waves, and birds are heard throughout the pieces just like on any other Jade Warrior album. It has all the characteristics of their approach and the distinctive atmospheric..cosmic sound.

Edited by TODDLER - September 29 2014 at 09:53
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2014 at 10:00

Originally posted by HackettFan HackettFan wrote:

Jade Warrior
Released
Last Autumn's Dream
Eclipse
Fifth Element
Floating World
Waves
Kites
Way Of The Sun
Horizons
At Peace
Breathing The Storm
Distant Echoes
Dogstar Poets-Off Planet
Now

Off-Planet is like listening to the missing Jade Warrior album. The early style ..but more modern. Gongs, chanting, ocean waves, and birds are heard throughout the pieces just like on any other Jade Warrior album. It has all the characteristics of their approach and the distinctive atmospheric..cosmic sound.

That's all the recommendation I need. How would you rate Tony Duhig's guitar playing? He doesn't get mentioned on people's lists much.
Davesax1965 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2014 at 11:12
I used to work with someone who'd been in Jade Warrior. Not naming any names. ;-)

TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2014 at 12:07
Originally posted by Davesax1965 Davesax1965 wrote:

I used to work with someone who'd been in Jade Warrior. Not naming any names. ;-)

Interesting
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2014 at 12:19
I thought Tony Duhig's guitar playing was a melodic, kind of laidback form of improvisation. On electric guitar he often played with a clean Jazz tone. He experimented with open tunings on acoustic which created an Asian music sound and luring vibe. He added a mystical style and raised the spirits in the music of Jade Warrior..Lol! Actually any musician that study's Asian music and even it's culture, will naturally create such a sound. Clearly it's the originality that Tony Duhig brought to the sound of their music. Horizens is a work of art! The entire album and especially "Long Wait At Mount Li." is a true work of art...and don't forget his very innovative yet bizzare guitar work on Steve Jolliffe's Journey's Out Of The Body.

Edited by TODDLER - September 29 2014 at 17:19
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2014 at 12:24
On Steve Jolliffe's Journey's Out Of The Body, the flute, (played by Steve Jolliffe), is combined with sections of Tony Duhig's guitar playing ...and together...they both somehow create the beautiful sound crafted by Jon Field and Tony Duhig. There is spoken word in between some tracks, where Jolliffe is reading from a diary. The diary he wrote while traveling with Tangerine Dream and having out of the body experiences. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>