Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Looking for dark sci-fi or fantasy TV suggestions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Looking for dark sci-fi or fantasy TV suggestions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 111213
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2020 at 17:23
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Not really fantasy (or indeed sci-fi), but still fits the topic well methinks, but I really liked The Third Day -- just seen the first three episodes of this miniseries with Jude Law which works as a complete story (more to come and there was a curious live event that I didn't see). I watched on my streaming HBO thing through Crave TV in Canada. It immediately brought to mind The Wicker Man and a quite recent Netflix movie that I liked a great deal called The Apostle. Dennis Kelly was one of the writer/creators and he was responsible for one of my absolute favourite TV shows (violent and quite disturbing) that I have mentioned more than once in this topic, Utopia.

I was also watching HBO's sci-fi show Raised by Wolves. It's well-made, but I stopped after a few episodes. I will continue anon. I found it rather too unrelentingly bleak and a little ham-fisted.

I really liked the first series of the Umbrella Academy, but was having difficulty getting into the second. The Watchmen series was more to my liking.

Must see The Last Wave.

I've just watched the first episode of The Third Day and like it a lot. The Wicker Man is a strong reference for sure. It does have the promise that there is a dark hidden secret within an apparently pleasant English Village setting. Jude Law is always great. He was a treat in The Young Pope and I have similarly high hopes for this.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2020 at 15:32
I assume The Great Martian War has been posted here--  I have yet to see it but recently caught the spectacular promo

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Shadowyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2020 at 19:34
Haven't finished either (and not sure if I ever will) but Zero Hour (2013) and 12 Monkeys (2015-2018) TV series are good. I didn't see them as inferior to some very popular TV series in the same vein.
Woon Deadn View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Woon Deadn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2020 at 04:52
The only famous Soviet horror movie Viy (VEE-y) and its modern day version. Based on Gogol's book. 

Favourite Band: Gentle Giant
Favourite Writer: Robert Sheckley
Favourite Horror Writer: Jean Ray
Favourite Computer Game: Tiny Toon - Buster's Hidden Treasure (Sega Mega Drive/Genesis)
Shadowyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2020 at 07:25
^ I watched the first one. Visually stunning and overall a good movie. Planning to watch the sedond too. 

Edited by Shadowyzard - October 22 2020 at 07:25
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2020 at 10:16
I watched the whole series of The Thrid Day...starts off good but I was disapppointed in the end and the 'secret'....which imho is not much of a secret.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
wiz_d_kidd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wiz_d_kidd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2020 at 10:52
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Originally posted by wiz_d_kidd wiz_d_kidd wrote:

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

A new series called Utopia has just landed on Amazon. Seriously dark stuff. I don't think I've seen anything quite as nasty as this for a long time but it is a compelling watch.

Are you referring to this one from 2013?

Or what is apparently a recent remake:

By the descriptions, neither version sounds particularly dark or nasty.

BTW, the original gets much better reviews.

the second one . Didn't realise it was a remake.

people being executed with heroine overdoses and a man having one his eyes gauged out with a spoon is pretty nasty I think. It could easily be very cartoonish but I've not laughed once as yet despite a bunch of nerds being taken out be a couple of hit-men . It seems to have succeeded where Hunters failed miserably. Portraying graphic violence in a realistic way.  

Thanks. I'll check it out...
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2020 at 12:55
I doubt that I will watch the Utopia remake. When I started this topic in 2014, the UK version (Channel 4) is the first show I mentioned. It’s brutal and brilliant, and is one of my absolute favourites of the last decade. For a long time I used an avatar from it. I also signed petitions after series 2 finished to get more. Remakes rarely reach the quality of the original for me, such as with the remake of Les Revenants or Real Humans (though Humans was also good). Dennis Kelly who who wrote/created Utopia also made The Third Day, and I agree with Doug that the ending was unsatisfactory. For those who like it, though, I do suggest watching The Wicker Man original if they haven’t seen it as well as the Netflix movie The Apostle (I felt The Apostle to be underrated).

Utopia did show here in Canada and it used to be on British Netflix I think, but one can watch it on dailymotion (used to be on youtube).

Click and Click

Maybe I will watch the Prime version of Utopia, but not before rewatching the brilliant original (which I have seen a few times, but not in years, might get a bit too brutal for me now).

Edited by Logan - October 22 2020 at 12:58
Just a fanboy passin' through.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2020 at 16:41
I watched the first 3 episodes of The Third Day and enjoyed it. Wasn't too silly thankfully (so far) I will try and watch the last 3 as a group and ignore the negative comments lol! The Wicker Man (1973) is of course classic and one of the most famous British films.

I watched the pilot episode of Minority Report today. It has been given that predictable 'youthful' make-over and has load of energy. I quite like the idea of picking up where the film left off and finding out what has happened to the 'Pre-Cogs'. I'm hoping that Samantha Morton may make a surprise cameo appearance if she can get the time off from starring in Harlots!

Gentle and Giant View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gentle and Giant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2020 at 08:38
I've just finished The Haunting of Bly Manor. That and it's predecessor, The Haunting of Hill House, are both excellent and a lot more than simple ghost stories.
Oh, for the wings of any bird, other than a battery hen
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 111213