Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe avantgarde's relation to popular music

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
jayem View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2015 at 11:27
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

I mean the words used can cause an emotional response in the non-academic lay-person, not the academic scholar who invented the terminologies.

It is the false-logic (fallacy of argument) that any music that is not called "Serious Music" must be non-serious; music that is not called "Erudite Music" is uneducated; and thus, any music that is not called "Art Music" cannot be art or artistic. Those are emotional responses, not musicological responses.

Now... Andre... The words everyone uses were invented by snobs ? Shouldn't we create our own academy in order for knowledge to grow on healthier grounds ?

If a piece of music needs that much effort I tend to move on to a new piece, rather than try and fix something that I find unsatisfactory.

Hmm...I dare you to guess which part of my stuff took the most effort, and which one was the easier to come to the uploading stage... Unfinished pieces are back in my mind often weeks after the last attempt, and well I'm just excited to have another try (generally with new discovered material) !
brainstormer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2015 at 11:32
Thanks for your endorsement!    Smile
--
Robert Pearson
Regenerative Music http://www.regenerativemusic.net
Telical Books http://www.telicalbooks.com
ParaMind Brainstorming Software http://www.paramind.net

Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2015 at 12:24
Originally posted by jayem jayem wrote:

I mean the words used can cause an emotional response in the non-academic lay-person, not the academic scholar who invented the terminologies.

It is the false-logic (fallacy of argument) that any music that is not called "Serious Music" must be non-serious; music that is not called "Erudite Music" is uneducated; and thus, any music that is not called "Art Music" cannot be art or artistic. Those are emotional responses, not musicological responses.

Now... Andre... The words everyone uses were invented by snobs ? Shouldn't we create our own academy in order for knowledge to grow on healthier grounds ?
Aside from wondering who the hell Andre is, I think this line of enquiry has exhausted itself. It's been fun but anything else I have to say would be a paraphrasing of something I've already said.

If a piece of music needs that much effort I tend to move on to a new piece, rather than try and fix something that I find unsatisfactory.

Hmm...I dare you to guess which part of my stuff took the most effort, and which one was the easier to come to the uploading stage... Unfinished pieces are back in my mind often weeks after the last attempt, and well I'm just excited to have another try (generally with new discovered material) !
I wouldn't dream of guessing such a thing Wink That's a "how long is a piece of string?" type question.
What?
jayem View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2015 at 16:14

[Aside from wondering who the hell Andre is, I think this line of enquiry has exhausted itself.

I'm OK with that... Congrats for managing an ending ! 

You have become Andre since last page:

Originally posted by <font color=#ff0000>Rednight</font> Rednight wrote:

Forum posts are an informal conversation, this discussion is no different to two guys discussing something in a bar over a glass of beer.

Ha ha ! Are you kidding ? Let's have a conversation on the same topic recorded in a pub for further analysis... Ha ha ha !

Beer sounds good to me. 

My Dinner With Andre.

Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2015 at 05:00
Finally got around to reading the rest of the discussion. It seems like "art music" and "popular music" are different enough music paradigms that any coherent hybridization of either will lean mostly on one of the two, though electronic music and jazz can go either way. On the occasion that someone like Zappa has succeeded in creating the former, it's by making classical or fusion jazz that happened to be influenced by pop/rock.

"Avantgarde" is on a different axis, though. So far it seems like people are confused as whether categorizations of that, and "art" for that matter are descriptions or prescriptions. Probably not exactly helped along by the lasting influence of theorists like Theodor W. Adorno and Walter Benjamin, who explicitly framed avantgarde art as a resistance against the industrialized mass culture. The article I linked to in the opening post follows a similar train of thought framing countercultural music scenes like industrial and metal as those types of avantgardes, though perhaps in a less politicized form than Adorno owing more to the Romantic idealist mythology of the artistic genius leading the way in cultural history's progress. (or perhaps a more honest form of Nietzsche-by-way-of-Marinetti elitism)

That ideal described, of course, does represent a very big pair of shoes to fill... more so for "low culture" forms of music. Which the vast majority of prog-and-related falls under, exceptions being things like Frank Zappa's classical compositions or the Zeuhl movement. Not coincidentally, they're also the parts of the scene falling the most away from rock music. Not to mention that it's one that's rarer as an aspirational goal in progressive music than in music scenes with a stronger sense of cultural identity and "collective consciousness".
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2015 at 05:29
Originally posted by Toaster Mantis Toaster Mantis wrote:

Finally got around to reading the rest of the discussion. It seems like "art music" and "popular music" are different enough music paradigms that any coherent hybridization of either will lean mostly on one of the two, though electronic music and jazz can go either way. On the occasion that someone like Zappa has succeeded in creating the former, it's by making classical or fusion jazz that happened to be influenced by pop/rock.
The whole Art Music vs. Popular Music side-track, while interesting and engaging, was an unnecessary and diverting distraction that in an ideal world would never need to happen.

With EM and Jazz it is not sufficient to simply throw those two words into the mix because they are such broad categories of music. While we can safely assume that we're obviously not talking about Dixieland or Synth-pop, other subgenres of either EM or Jazz are less obvious and would still be wholly wrong. 

Electronic Music refers to how the sounds are made, not the style(s) of music that it creates. The early days of Electronic Music occurred entirely in an Art Music context, (it would be tedious to list the various schools and movements of Electronic Art Music here), and since those pioneers of Electronic Music were also using the emerging technology to confront the basic ideas of "what is music" some of them can be regarded as avant-garde. It would be a false assumption to assume that all subsequent Electronic Music developed out of these vanguard explorations into Electronic Music (because it didn't), the technology may have been a result of it, but the adoption of that technology by Popular Music was nothing more than that. The only connection between Electronic Art Music and Electronic Popular Music is the use of synthesis of sound. It would also seem logical and natural that any hybridisation of Electronic Music would occur within it, i.e., between Electronic Art Music and Electronic Popular Music, yet this does not appear to be the case. The two exist independently of each other and in isolation from each other. When crossovers occur (and crossovers differ considerably from hybridisations) they invariably crossover Electronic Popular Music with Classical Art Music and the result can only lean towards Popular Music (just as with any crossover).

"Avantgarde" is on a different axis, though. So far it seems like people are confused as whether categorizations of that, and "art" for that matter are descriptions or prescriptions. Probably not exactly helped along by the lasting influence of theorists like Theodor W. Adorno and Walter Benjamin, who explicitly framed avantgarde art as a resistance against the industrialized mass culture. The article I linked to in the opening post follows a similar train of thought framing countercultural music scenes like industrial and metal as those types of avantgardes, though perhaps in a less politicized form than Adorno owing more to the Romantic idealist mythology of the artistic genius leading the way in cultural history's progress. (or perhaps a more honest form of Nietzsche-by-way-of-Marinetti elitism)
The confusion is inevitable because to visualise a prescriptive requires example, the more popular (or infamous) examples are then used as fixed descriptives regardless of how representative they were of the original prescriptive. DuChamp's Fountain being a case in point.

Avant-garde originally referred to the artists, not the works of art they created and we refer to it as the avant-garde in the same way as we refer to The Navy or The Army (though without the organisation, discipline and ranking). So avant-garde art and avant-garde music would have been art and music created by avant-garde artists therefore the term avant-garde became an intent, and we use "avant-garde" in all three connotations (often with much confusion).

I'm still unconvinced (and thus uncomfortable) by the whole counter-culture/subculture line of argument. Not withstanding that the entire premise rests entirely on there being a genuine connection or relationship between the avant-garde and the subculture which has yet to be demonstrated (similarities in ideology could be perception and/or coincidental), I see no evidence that any individual subculture had a concerted and planned desire towards the goal it arrived at (because that would smack of being Lamarckian). I would also question whether the Metal subculture exists at all beyond dressing alike and liking a particular form of Popular Music. Again, it needs to be more specific and less vague arm-waving.

That ideal described, of course, does represent a very big pair of shoes to fill... more so for "low culture" forms of music. Which the vast majority of prog-and-related falls under, exceptions being things like Frank Zappa's classical compositions or the Zeuhl movement. Not coincidentally, they're also the parts of the scene falling the most away from rock music. Not to mention that it's one that's rarer as an aspirational goal in progressive music than in music scenes with a stronger sense of cultural identity and "collective consciousness".
I'm glad you put collective-consciousness in irony-quotes. Wink But other than that, I would tend to go along with this.

What?
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2015 at 06:42

I'm still unconvinced (and thus uncomfortable) by the whole counter-culture/subculture line of argument. Not withstanding that the entire premise rests entirely on there being a genuine connection or relationship between the avant-garde and the subculture which has yet to be demonstrated (similarities in ideology could be perception and/or coincidental), I see no evidence that any individual subculture had a concerted and planned desire towards the goal it arrived at (because that would smack of being Lamarckian). I would also question whether the Metal subculture exists at all beyond dressing alike and liking a particular form of Popular Music. Again, it needs to be more specific and less vague arm-waving.

It's also a train of thought the linked article's author follows much more than I do. Again, I might not have spent enough time clarifying what's his position and what's mine. I think most music subcultures have a vocal minority who are motivated by that kind of avantgarde idealism, but they're usually an even smaller percentage than the article claims and neither as strong an inspiration to the rest... even if they make up a disproportionate amount of the most influential artists. I think there's a kernel of truth or two there but stretched a bit too thin than the evidence can support.

Maybe it's because the author is Colombian and I'm Danish? I wager you get a lot more hassle for being in an alternative subculture in his country than in mine. The main writer for that webzine is Dutch and he often expends a considerable amount of page space harping on the gulf between the metal subculture's proclaimed ideals and its actual reality. See the opening paragraphs of that review:

Originally posted by Degtyarov Degtyarov wrote:

The reason that I have never labelled myself as a metalhead is that both the musical genre and the ‘scene’ that surrounds it are riddled with so many clichés, kitsch and bad taste, that identification with these uncultivated hordes is out of the question for any sane human-being. While ‘members’ of this sub culture like to uphold the pretence of leading an alternative lifestyle, sheepish behaviour and ignorance prevail no less in these circles than they would at the meeting of a random boyband fanclub [...]. The subgenre of black metal, too, has among its ranks a fair share of – excusez le mot – posers and wannabees, whose entire originality consists of the design of their childish corpsepaint. However, in exceptional cases, certain bands rise to the occasion and prove that black metal can be the musical and aesthetic revolt that it is so often proclaimed to be.

Akitsa is one of these exceptional cases. With their latest album, Au crépuscule de l’espérance, the two-man band from Québec continues swimming against the current, not conceding to any of the worrying trends in black metal, that today include safe, family-friendly mediocrity, as well as half-baked, quasi-academic hipster tripe.

It's clear that despite as you also say yourself that kind of "underground avantgarde" subcultural mythology is for the most part exactly that, myths, it's one that certain people take very seriously. The author of the review I just linked to seems to have found a satisfying compromise in getting extremely enthusiastic about those few artists he finds to actually live up to it, even if my taste doesn't overlap that much with his.

Edited by Toaster Mantis - April 17 2015 at 06:44
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2015 at 12:28
This post is a re-type from memory as the original disappeared into the aether on hitting [post]. I thought the forum up-grade had cured all this losing posts crap but it seems that was a lie. Shame, the first draft was far wittier and much better written than this will be.

It's also a train of thought the linked article's author follows much more than I do. Again, I might not have spent enough time clarifying what's his position and what's mine. I think most music subcultures have a vocal minority who are motivated by that kind of avantgarde idealism, but they're usually an even smaller percentage than the article claims and neither as strong an inspiration to the rest... even if they make up a disproportionate amount of the most influential artists. I think there's a kernel of truth or two there but stretched a bit too thin than the evidence can support.

Maybe it's because the author is Colombian and I'm Danish? I wager you get a lot more hassle for being in an alternative subculture in his country than in mine. The main writer for that webzine is Dutch and he often expends a considerable amount of page space harping on the gulf between the metal subculture's proclaimed ideals and its actual reality. See the opening paragraphs of that review:

Originally posted by Degtyarov Degtyarov wrote:

The reason that I have never labelled myself as a metalhead is that both the musical genre and the ‘scene’ that surrounds it are riddled with so many clichés, kitsch and bad taste, that identification with these uncultivated hordes is out of the question for any sane human-being. While ‘members’ of this sub culture like to uphold the pretence of leading an alternative lifestyle, sheepish behaviour and ignorance prevail no less in these circles than they would at the meeting of a random boyband fanclub [...]. The subgenre of black metal, too, has among its ranks a fair share of – excusez le mot – posers and wannabees, whose entire originality consists of the design of their childish corpsepaint. However, in exceptional cases, certain bands rise to the occasion and prove that black metal can be the musical and aesthetic revolt that it is so often proclaimed to be.

Akitsa is one of these exceptional cases. With their latest album, Au crépuscule de l’espérance, the two-man band from Québec continues swimming against the current, not conceding to any of the worrying trends in black metal, that today include safe, family-friendly mediocrity, as well as half-baked, quasi-academic hipster tripe.

It's clear that despite as you also say yourself that kind of "underground avantgarde" subcultural mythology is for the most part exactly that, myths, it's one that certain people take very seriously. The author of the review I just linked to seems to have found a satisfying compromise in getting extremely enthusiastic about those few artists he finds to actually live up to it, even if my taste doesn't overlap that much with his.

This is starting to bear the hallmarks of selecting the data to fit an hypothesis rather than discarding a hypothesis that fails to fit all the available data. As the scope shrinks from Popular Music, to specific subgenres of Popular Music, to subgenres that have associated subcultures, to subcultures that have ideologies, to factions within those subgenres to promote those ideals, to individuals with agendas, (I make no apologies for the crass over-simplification here, this merely serves as an illustration), then the pool of data that fits the ideology becomes more apparent but it is also a convenient method of masking all the data that fails to support the original premise. 

The Dutch blogger is a fair example of this, in rejecting the poseurs, wannabies and hipsters he is preselecting his sample to what he feels is an authentic representation, except it is only a representation of his idealised view of authenticity. He is creating a sub-sect within the entire Black Metal community that (he assumes) would support his view, and thus heightens his credibility while maintaining the appearance of distanced impartiality. [A sub-sect that probably doesn't exist in reality and in all likelihood, never did]. So now when he subdivides albums (and thus artists) into those that he feels are authentic and those who he believes are not he can validate his notion of Black Metal being everything he wants it to be. Except the greater pile of rejected albums suggests that it isn't. It seems to me that what he is looking for is a romanticised version of what he believes the genre once stood for. As you say - a myth.

[In my occasional brushes with the UK Black Metal scene over the years, all of the fans and artists seemed pretty genuine and sincere to me. To date I've yet to hear any "family-friendly" Black Metal Wink... though much of it is indeed mediocre].

What?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456