Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAnekdoten

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: What should be my first taste?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
1 [4.55%]
1 [4.55%]
3 [13.64%]
7 [31.82%]
5 [22.73%]
5 [22.73%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anekdoten
    Posted: April 17 2015 at 20:32
I have heard Anekdoten once or twice.  I don't remember where (Internet Radio, perhaps?), but I recall not enjoying it.  That was many years ago.

I've listed their six studio albums here.  I am asking not which one is your favorite, but which one you think I would enjoy the most and would compel me to explore this band further.
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2015 at 20:37
Hey Rob.

For your tastes i'd say either Gravity, or my personal favorite, From Within. 

Voted Gravity. 

Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2015 at 20:59
From Within was my entry point - I've adored every album they've done - the first 2 are very King Crimson influenced, a bit harsh and heavy (Nucleus is my pick of all the albums, though I haven't heard the new one yet).
From Within has a more 'mellow' groove to it, still a bit stark and bleak, but lots of floaty bits.
Gravity has a bit of an Alt-Rock/Post-Rock style to it, it's very good but my least listened to album of theirs.
A Time Of Day is a step back to their earlier styling, whilst having a 'cleaner' sound.
I'd agree with Horizons here and say Gravity could be what you're looking for, being more 'accessible', if you will.
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2015 at 21:16
I can't see you liking Nucleus, it's quite harsh much of the time.  I'm thinking Gravity or A Time Of Day.
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
A Person View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2015 at 21:38
Going by memory I think A Time of Day is what I'd recommend to you.

Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2015 at 23:17
How should I know, man? First, tell us more about yourself.
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2015 at 23:37
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

From Within was my entry point - I've adored every album they've done - the first 2 are very King Crimson influenced, a bit harsh and heavy (Nucleus is my pick of all the albums, though I haven't heard the new one yet).
From Within has a more 'mellow' groove to it, still a bit stark and bleak, but lots of floaty bits.
Gravity has a bit of an Alt-Rock/Post-Rock style to it, it's very good but my least listened to album of theirs.
A Time Of Day is a step back to their earlier styling, whilst having a 'cleaner' sound.
I'd agree with Horizons here and say Gravity could be what you're looking for, being more 'accessible', if you will.

Strange, Tom, I also listen to `Gravity' the least as well, even though it's really quite a fine album. Definitely showed more variety and wider influences than had been present on the previous three albums.

`A Time of Day' is not too different from it, but the material is a litle stronger and more memorable, it's probably the one I play the most. Man, what's that second last track that almost has the Caravan-like keyboard soloing - well, that's how I remember it?! Anyway, that's the one I voted for.

One point to make is that the first two albums `Vemod' and `Nucleus' have fairly strained, flat vocals. definitely by the time `From Within' came around they'd worked on those a bit more.

Tom, did we get `From Within' from Michael Piper or the Freak Emporium?!

What a terrific band, never put out an even slightly average album, all of their albums are well worth grabbing!

Edited by Aussie-Byrd-Brother - April 17 2015 at 23:49
infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2015 at 23:55
Hmm, I'm thinking Gravity for you.
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2015 at 00:05
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

Strange, Tom, I also listen to `Gravity' the least as well, even though it's really quite a fine album. Definitely showed more variety and wider influences than had been present on the previous three albums.

`A Time of Day' is not too different from it, but the material is a litle stronger and more memorable, it's probably the one I play the most. Man, what's that second last track that almost has the Caravan-like keyboard soloing - well, that's how I remember it?! Anyway, that's the one I voted for.

One point to make is that the first two albums `Vemod' and `Nucleus' have fairly strained, flat vocals. definitely by the time `From Within' came around they'd worked on those a bit more.

What a terrific band, never put out an even slightly average album, all of their albums are well worth grabbing!
Freak Emporium.
In For A Ride - Anna Sofi acquired a Farfisa organ and must've distorted the sound to give it that Canturburian flavour.
The first few minutes of Book Of Hours still raises the hairs on my neck.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2015 at 00:57
Originally posted by Mellotron Storm Mellotron Storm wrote:

I can't see you liking Nucleus, it's quite harsh much of the time.  I'm thinking Gravity or A Time Of Day.

Agreed.
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2015 at 09:36
Originally posted by Man With Hat Man With Hat wrote:

Originally posted by Mellotron Storm Mellotron Storm wrote:

Agreed.

Hey Phil !

I voted A Time Of Day by the way. It's really interesting reading people's opinions about one of my favourite bands(in my top three) especially from the Ozzies(Tom and Michael). 
I can't believe they are coming to Quebec and I can't afford the time off to go let alone afford it. It's been a dream to see them live. 
I heard one track off of the new one and heard cello which I don't think they've used since the debut.
My opinion of their albums is almost backwards to most I think as i'd rate Gravity number one followed by Vemod, From Within, Nucleus and A Time Of Day. Love both live albums too, both from Japan.

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2015 at 09:42
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

Hey Michael ! 
I found A Time Of Day to have some really strong material on it but also some that I like the least of all their music. Interesting to read your thoughts on the vocals early on as I believe Jan-Erik did the vocals at the beginning(first two?) then Nicklas took over from there on. I think both suit the music. Of course this band for me is all about the mellotron, there's no band that brings me more pleasure then them when it comes to that ghostly sound. Well maybe Radio Massacre International comes close.

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Komandant Shamal View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2015 at 09:49
Gravity this time.
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2015 at 12:49
While Vemod was my first exposure, and I loved it, I just finished hearing Until All the Ghost are Gone and it is stellar!! A good point to dip your toe in as it is beautifully melodic while still having the elements that make Anekdoten so unique. After that, jump off the high board and get heavier early stuff, it's 'ALL' good.
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2015 at 13:05

I'd recommend A Time of Day, but I love the last three releases almost equally. It is the most accessible of their releases, methinks. The newest one is stellar, as JD states, and it will end up high in my top 10 of this year. This one would be my second recommendation to anyone who is not familiar with Anekdoten.

Edited by someone_else - April 18 2015 at 14:20
MustardSea View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2015 at 14:02
I'd recommend none of their studio albums but their live album "Waking The Dead - Live In Japan 2005" as it offers a really nice cross-section of their two albums "From Within" and "Gravity" plus 2 (at the time) unreleased tracks and "Sad Rain", a japan-only bonus-track from their first album!

But if you insist on studio-only my vote goes to "From Within".

Edited by MustardSea - April 18 2015 at 14:03
Wanorak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2015 at 16:00
Gravity. The new album really did nothing for me on first listen. Hopefully it'll grow on me after a few listens.
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!
King Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2015 at 01:48

Haha, this poll is a coincidence. Just yesterday I popped Gravity into my Car's CD player after I probably haven't listened to it for several years and I was again blown away by this masterpiece. I got stuck in a traffic jam and was kind of glad, because otherwise I might not have had enough time to finish the album before arriving at my destination.

Nightfly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2015 at 05:55
Anekdoten are yet to make a bad album but why not start with the new one, Until All The Ghosts Are Gone. It has most of the elements that you'd recognise from their past albums and not a weak track in sight.
 Post Reply Post Reply