Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHow important is originality?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Luna View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: How important is originality?
    Posted: September 03 2016 at 15:54
Angry One of the things I hear about frequently and disagree with the most, is that "progressive rock (or any type of music for that matter) is better if it's original". This is just wrong. Of course it's a subjective matter and everyone can have their opinion. But, the thing is, I have never heard anyone say "originality doesn't mean anything". It's like being original is always a good thing, which is just not true at all. So I feel that somebody needs to say it.

Here's my argument.

1. How the hell do you know if it's original in the first place?  I've heard people say that In the Court of the Crimson King is an original album that "came out of nowhere in 1969" (see the first review on this page). Really? Have you heard every album and every music work before 1969? If you haven't, how do you know if another band didn't record a similar album and possibly even inspired King Crimson? For the record I'm not saying that such a band existed, I'm just saying, it's impossible to know.

It's not even likely that anyone here has heard all 100 albums on the PA Top 100. There are simply too many albums to listen to. If you think something is original based on what you have heard in your life, then there's a good chance that it's not original at all. Therefore it's laughable to judge a new album based on "originality".

2. Consistency is also a highly valuable quality that no one seems to talk much about. When I buy an Opeth album, I expect to hear the exact same genre, same style, same guitar, drums and growling vocals that I heard on Still LifeBlackwater Park, etc.. I expect the album to be 0% original, and 100% staying true to the classic Opeth sound. If the album sounds original, I'm disappointed because that's not what I spent money to hear.

3. It doesn't affect the enjoyment! Would In the Court of the Crimson King have been any less enjoyable to listen to, if there had been 10 similar albums before it? Most likely not! It's good music on its own merit. 

On the other hand, imagine Wish You Were Here and Selling England by the Pound were debut albums and they were original. Would that make them better albums? I seriously doubt it.

So simply put, "originality" is a quality that is neither good nor bad. It is what it is, but it isn't what everyone believes it is.
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2016 at 16:20
I appreciate originality, but the lack of it doesn't necessarily make me enjoy an album any less.

In fact, since there won't be any more classic 70s prog albums, I wouldn't mind new bands making new albums like them. If there was a band that sounded exactly like classic King Crimson or VDGG (and actually wrote good songs, unlike most retro bands), I'd probably love them.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2016 at 16:28
Why is this a new thread when there is an existing active thread with the same title here:

It's quite ironic, given the subject matter. LOL
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
mechanicalflattery View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2016 at 16:55
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Why is this a new thread when there is an existing active thread with the same title here:

It's quite ironic, given the subject matter. LOL

I suspect that was the intention, Luna copying the exact same message to make a point about originality. But that's just a guess, I really don't know.
noni View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2016 at 20:14
I hear too many similarities in music and bands today.  A little boring!

We need bands like IQ, Pendragon and Camel to keep our interest.  

Flower Kings have come out with some great music, but how many albums do you need to make this sounding the same.

Edited by noni - September 03 2016 at 20:15
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2016 at 20:19
It's the exact same thread--   really bizarre

...aaand I just got the joke.   But this will be closed undoubtedly -

Edited by Atavachron - September 03 2016 at 20:20
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2016 at 20:22
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

It's the exact same thread--   really bizarre

It's the same feeling one gets listening to a Big Big Train album.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
DamoXt7942 View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Avant/Cross/Neo/Post Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2016 at 20:25
 Post Reply Post Reply