Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Laughter vs. Tears

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Poll Question: Congratulations! You have just discovered the secret message.
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
37 [56.92%]
28 [43.08%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larkstongue41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2017 at 14:50
Originally posted by mlkpad14 mlkpad14 wrote:

He's got tons of dedicated fans, and they aren't commenting. It is that simple.

Guy's completely awesome; I don't know what you have against him...?
Nothing at all against him. Now, you do realize we are talking about an average to good musician and a guy who had a greater impact on 20th century music than you and I can possibly imagine. I mean I do kinda like SWilson but he writes his music based on all the big names of prog and guys like FZ; not too much originality in his work. Personally he's one of the composers with the tiniest range of emotional variety I have yet heard and some of his music sounds uninspired and artificial to me. His most popular stuff in my ears sounds like it's designed for depressive teenage boys. I can understand being reached more easily by SW, his music is overtly emotional but Zappa can be that and so much more.

SWilson is cool, I guess he's partly responsible for the "prog revival" of the 90's or so and I think he is one of the rare remaining successful artist who stay true to themselves, I admire that.

That being said I believe it's a shame the two names could be compared without Frank having AT LEAST twice more votes than SWilson. I'm sure SWilson himself would agree with me on that one.

No hate here, we still probably have more in common taste-wise musically than most people. I respect all of you guys' opinion and would actually be interested in hearing from SWilson fans who are also familiar enough with FZ as to why you could possibly prefer him to Zappa Thumbs Up.

Edited by Larkstongue41 - May 09 2017 at 14:54
"Larks' tongues. Wrens' livers. Chaffinch brains. Jaguars' earlobes. Wolf nipple chips. Get 'em while they're hot. They're lovely. Dromedary pretzels, only half a denar."
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2017 at 15:26
Ive been a fan of Frank since the 70's though i did zone out on some of the Joes garage onwards stuff.. I first heard Steven Wilson through a couple of the early Porcupine tree lps in the mid 90's. I was impressed to a degree because he seemed to creating music (or at least name-checking his influences) that was otherwise being buried by the mainstream. Nothing particularly new, nothing particularly 'out there' but very competent, honest and (to me) sincere. And ive seen him in concert a few times and feel the same about these performances. I dont feel particularly strongly about what he is doing now but it does seem that there is quite a bit of invective which i dont really understand as i feel his influence overall is positive.
Not really a level playing field in my view and of course FZ (if only for 'Inca Roads'!!!) wins hands down

stewe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stewe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2017 at 19:12
Steven Wilson's work has larger impact on me from emotional standpoint, not because it is just sad music. I am impressed in the same way by Rush or King Crimson which aren't "sad" bands... Frank Zappa just leaves me largely cold from this standpoint. I must admit I didn't hear most of his excessive discography. I heard about six-seven albums and I tried to get into three of them (Hot Rats, Sheik Yerbouti, Zoot Allures), with a little success. For me, a subjective emotional impact is the most decisive criteria, above pure originality, creativity, technicality etc. despite these factors are very influential for a total impression.

<a href="http://steveer.ic.cz" rel="nofollow"
Larkstongue41 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larkstongue41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2017 at 19:18
Thumbs Up
"Larks' tongues. Wrens' livers. Chaffinch brains. Jaguars' earlobes. Wolf nipple chips. Get 'em while they're hot. They're lovely. Dromedary pretzels, only half a denar."
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2017 at 02:31
Originally posted by stewe stewe wrote:

Steven Wilson's work has larger impact on me from emotional standpoint, not because it is just sad music. I am impressed in the same way by Rush or King Crimson which aren't "sad" bands... Frank Zappa just leaves me largely cold from this standpoint. I must admit I didn't hear most of his excessive discography. I heard about six-seven albums and I tried to get into three of them (Hot Rats, Sheik Yerbouti, Zoot Allures), with a little success. For me, a subjective emotional impact is the most decisive criteria, above pure originality, creativity, technicality etc. despite these factors are very influential for a total impression.

The key word is 'subjective'. Some of us derive that emotional impact from said technicality and creativity.
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2017 at 03:40
My own Zappa impressions. 

Résultat de recherche dimages pour &quot;heart and head&quot;

Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2017 at 03:58
Yet another vote for Steven. I listened to Transmission IV and Up The Downstair yesterday and loved every psychedelically tinged moment. 
Think I'll spin Waka Jawaka today and change my mind.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
mlkpad14 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlkpad14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2017 at 05:40
Originally posted by Larkstongue41 Larkstongue41 wrote:

Originally posted by mlkpad14 mlkpad14 wrote:

He's got tons of dedicated fans, and they aren't commenting. It is that simple.

Guy's completely awesome; I don't know what you have against him...?
Nothing at all against him. Now, you do realize we are talking about an average to good musician and a guy who had a greater impact on 20th century music than you and I can possibly imagine. I mean I do kinda like SWilson but he writes his music based on all the big names of prog and guys like FZ; not too much originality in his work. Personally he's one of the composers with the tiniest range of emotional variety I have yet heard and some of his music sounds uninspired and artificial to me. His most popular stuff in my ears sounds like it's designed for depressive teenage boys. I can understand being reached more easily by SW, his music is overtly emotional but Zappa can be that and so much more.

SWilson is cool, I guess he's partly responsible for the "prog revival" of the 90's or so and I think he is one of the rare remaining successful artist who stay true to themselves, I admire that.

That being said I believe it's a shame the two names could be compared without Frank having AT LEAST twice more votes than SWilson. I'm sure SWilson himself would agree with me on that one.

No hate here, we still probably have more in common taste-wise musically than most people. I respect all of you guys' opinion and would actually be interested in hearing from SWilson fans who are also familiar enough with FZ as to why you could possibly prefer him to Zappa Thumbs Up.

Steven Wilson is one of the few progressive musicians that I don't go into depth about when listening to their music. However, it has sounded and still sounds absolutely awesome to my ears. From the point of influence, Zappa is way bigger obviously... However Wilson sounds better in my opinion... He works really hard, too, so I guess he kind of deserves the votes he has been getting.
https://gamecrazyprofessional.weebly.com/
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2018 at 17:26
Zappa

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2018 at 02:08
No contest, Zappa.
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2018 at 02:26
Originally posted by Tapfret Tapfret wrote:

I did notice the new SW album already has a 1 star rating it's first day posted. That being said, I have witnessed no abuse of SW fans for simply being SW fans.

Now, us ultra-complexity fans have to wear paper bags on our heads.

Typical pretentious RIO fan, trying so hard to be different and 'alienated' with his paper bag on his head! What's wrong with wearing a baseball cap like everyone else....?

LOL
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2018 at 02:46
I vote Zappa, even though I don't find many of his humorous lyrics amusing and basically wish he'd done more instrumental music. Having said that, he's got lots of purely musical moments that make me smile or even chuckle, so I wouldn't say his sense of humour was completely wasted on me. An absolutely brilliant composer, player and curator of albums. And, of course, an 'original' who was vastly influential in the development of avant-rock.

I've nothing against Wilson but he's not really my thing.

Edited by Mascodagama - May 08 2018 at 03:41
Bandcamp Profile
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2018 at 03:31
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

As for "He's got tons of dedicated fans, and they aren't commenting. It is that simple." It's not that simple for those of us who are interested in "why". There are always more dimensions to explore, and sometimes I over-complicate things with my thinking, and one could argue that many of us in the interest of having something to discuss overanalize things that are not important, but philosophically I object to such statements and consider it an oversimplification. Why does he so often have phantom voters would the natural extension, and are we right to see a pattern in this? That's the other thing, people always look for patterns, and sometimes those patterns are exaggerated or don't really exist, but our brains are always looking for meaning in sometimes pretty random things.
I hadn't noticed the phenomenon - assuming it is one - prior to this poll. But in the context of the poll I can see why people voting for SW might not want to post. After all this has their man going up against one of the grand wazoos of progressive music, viewed as little short of a deity by many. Popping up to say you think SW is way better could be seen as leading with your chin...

Edited by Mascodagama - May 08 2018 at 03:32
Bandcamp Profile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123