Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSEBTP’s best song

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Poll Question: What’s your fav from SEBTP?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
17 [19.10%]
2 [2.25%]
29 [32.58%]
3 [3.37%]
6 [6.74%]
1 [1.12%]
29 [32.58%]
2 [2.25%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2008 at 08:58
I love the entire album (that's right, even the much-maligned More Fool Me), and Firth of Fifth perhaps defines "progressive rock," but Cinema Show is simply epic, moving, and BEAUTIFUL! Heart

A desert island disk, for sure! I almost always listen to it in full, and I listen to it often.StarStarStarStarStar

Edited by Peter - May 08 2008 at 08:58
"And, has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
He chortled in his joy.
muddoctor View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2008 at 09:29

even though all the song in SEBTP is great...

i preffered to choose the battle of epping forrest !!!

StarStarStarStarStar

boo boo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2008 at 10:47
The Cinema Show, pretty much my favorite song from Genesis.
Equality 7-2521 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2008 at 11:57
Always felt that FoF and Cinema Show were overrated.

Dancing with the Moonlit Knight has always sealed the deal for me.
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2008 at 12:26
Originally posted by Peter Peter wrote:

I love the entire album (that's right, even the much-maligned More Fool Me), and Firth of Fifth perhaps defines "progressive rock," but Cinema Show is simply epic, moving, and BEAUTIFUL! Heart

Count me in on this sentiment.  I enjoy every song on this album.  As I've said before, the keyboard solo in "Cinema Show" is Banks' best, I get choked up every time I hear it.
MovingPictures07 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2008 at 12:29
I'm not sure if I have one favorite and it depends on my mood, but I went for the extremely underrated "Battle of Epping Forest". Great song! Clap
Nowhere Man View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2008 at 13:02
Well, I called The Cinema Show one of the best moments in prog history in my review for SEBTP, so I guess I'll go with that. Big%20smile

Edited by Nowhere Man - May 08 2008 at 13:03
The Quiet One View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2008 at 16:43
Need much more listens what I have done, but for now it's between Dancing.. and Firth or Fifth.
The 11 min songs I still need to acknowledge them since at first listen haven't really impressed me as Foxtrot or Lamb did. Let's give the album more listens but for now, and I'm going to vote is Firth of Fifth.
I do love the short songs, as the ones from Nursery Cryme.
MusicalSalmacis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2008 at 05:16
Dancing for me. Firth of Fifth is great but has a bit too much repetition. cinema show is also great but a bit slow at times. To me, Dancing with the Moonlit Knight is a song that pretty much defines symphonic prog, and there are only two other genesis songs that rival it, The Musical Box and Supper's Ready.
Zargus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2008 at 05:27
Dancing With The Moonlight Knight was the first gabreil era Genesis song i heard and its still one of my favorites and no doubt my favorite from this album.
Peter View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2008 at 08:31
 Unhappy ^ As others have pointed out, it's "MoonLIT Knight."

GeekThe title is a play on words, as in 'it was a beautiful moonlit night" -- moonLIGHT Knight does not work.

Get it write! Angry

Rite? Confused

Edited by Peter - May 09 2008 at 08:38
"And, has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
He chortled in his joy.
The Pessimist View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2008 at 17:41
Firth, hands down
"Market value is irrelevant to intrinsic value."

Arnold Schoenberg
Dr. Prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2008 at 18:41
very tough choice, but if you put a gun to my head......

1. Firth of Fifth---in many ways, the archetypal Genesis composition, clearly reflecting the classical influences, nicely structured, with both a definitive guitar and keyboard solo in the same tune. Majestic, melodic, beautifully composed and played. Hard to top. Arguably the best Genesis tune ever, certainly a top 5 no matter what.

2. Cinema Show--a very close second, primarily due to the sublime closing instrumental section where you hear why Genesis worked as a three man band years later-----Banks, Collins and Rutherford really take over this piece, and live it is even more impressive (ie Seconds Out)

3. Dancing With the Moonlit Knight--what a great opening song, full of power, showed that Genesis could rock and drive. One of Gabriel's best vocals.

4. I Know What I Like---their first 'single', a clear attempt at hitting the charts years before Collins wrote songs, its catchy, melodic, humorous, and is a great concert song, that ironically Genesis used to extend out to about 11 minutes when it became their closing number (ie, the Duke tour). A great example of Genesis lyrically doing what Yes never really could do---tell a funny humorous "real life" story that was much more streetwise than Yes material.

those are the essential tunes. I never did like More Fool Me very much---Collins trying to find his voice still as a singer (sounded better on Absent Friends imo); Epping Forest was too wordy and busy, and failure of Gabriel to self edit, but the music is not bad and the song certainly fortells themes that Gabriel would explore more fully on the Lamb (which is why the Lamb is not that radical a move if you consider the subject matter and visual presentation of Epping Forest as Gabriel performed it in concert).
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2008 at 21:04
Originally posted by Dr. Prog Dr. Prog wrote:

very tough choice, but if you put a gun to my head......

1. Firth of Fifth---in many ways, the archetypal Genesis composition, clearly reflecting the classical influences, nicely structured, with both a definitive guitar and keyboard solo in the same tune. Majestic, melodic, beautifully composed and played. Hard to top. Arguably the best Genesis tune ever, certainly a top 5 no matter what.

2. Cinema Show--a very close second, primarily due to the sublime closing instrumental section where you hear why Genesis worked as a three man band years later-----Banks, Collins and Rutherford really take over this piece, and live it is even more impressive (ie Seconds Out)

3. Dancing With the Moonlit Knight--what a great opening song, full of power, showed that Genesis could rock and drive. One of Gabriel's best vocals.

4. I Know What I Like---their first 'single', a clear attempt at hitting the charts years before Collins wrote songs, its catchy, melodic, humorous, and is a great concert song, that ironically Genesis used to extend out to about 11 minutes when it became their closing number (ie, the Duke tour). A great example of Genesis lyrically doing what Yes never really could do---tell a funny humorous "real life" story that was much more streetwise than Yes material.

those are the essential tunes. I never did like More Fool Me very much---Collins trying to find his voice still as a singer (sounded better on Absent Friends imo); Epping Forest was too wordy and busy, and failure of Gabriel to self edit, but the music is not bad and the song certainly fortells themes that Gabriel would explore more fully on the Lamb (which is why the Lamb is not that radical a move if you consider the subject matter and visual presentation of Epping Forest as Gabriel performed it in concert).

I agree 90% with the Doc here... I would change the order of number two and three, as I think Cinema is inferior to Moonlit but by a hair.... I also like the "poppy" sound of I Know.... But of course, the gem and best Genesis song ever is Firth... the way it's structured, the monumental piano intro, the tension, the drama, the little solo by Gabriel on flute and then the emotional explosion when Hackett makes his guitar cry and repeats the melody... AMAZING... the intrumental part of this song is one of my top 10 moments in all prog.,.. maybe one of my top 5... maybe one of my top 2............
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123