Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2005 at 17:54
Apocolypse in 9/8
As Sure As Eggs Is Eggs

Whole song is really great tho.
Harmonium View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2005 at 17:55

Mine is ''Ikhnaton And Itsacon And Their Band Of Merry Men'', Hackett's solo gives me shivers everytime !

And talking about Supper's Ready, this weekend, I invited some of my freinds at my house and they saw some genesis paintings on my wall ( my father painted them some years ago: there's Peter in is Watcher of the sky costume, the little girl from nursery crymes and a bunch of characters from Trick of The Tail cover ). So they asked me what it was and I started to explain to them wkat was Prog.

They said I sounded really passionate about it, so they asked me to make them listen to it. It was like 2:00 am, and I put in me CD player the album Foxtrot and directly go to Supper's Ready. I told them taht it was a 22 minute song.

I thought they were going to be scared or to find it boring but no, the exact opposite happened. We sat on my bed and I saw them, there eyes popping out of there skull and there jaw wide open, telling me every five minute how incredible it was. It was a type of music, something new, that they never experienced before and they kliked it. I'm glad to have open-minded freinds like that :)

( and by the way, one of my freind was a girl, so, here you go, another female prog fan  )

Have you ever experienced such a thing ??

- Comme Un Fou, Tout Est Si Clair -
el böthy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2005 at 18:29

I see it as a whole...cant say this oe or that one!

ITS ALL SUPERB

"You want me to play what, Robert?"
uriah561 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2005 at 19:26
I have to say either Willow's Farm or Apocalypse in 9/8, but I still think the whole song is the highlight.  Rock on, Genesis!
Robert G.
Chicago, Illinois
anotherbrick View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2005 at 00:48
Not only do I not remember the names of each section, but I love the whole thing together. Just having sections of the song would not be cool. Gotta love the whole thing! But, the part that sticks out to me the most I think is Apocalypse in 9/8, if I'm thinking of the right part.
Steve View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2005 at 13:48
The whole thing is just awsome.  You got to programme the cd to play Horizion's first and again at the end.  Outstanding
See The Swan Fly High
Fearless View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2005 at 17:43
Originally posted by lunaticviolist lunaticviolist wrote:

Originally posted by gdub411 gdub411 wrote:

Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

Originally posted by Fearless Fearless wrote:

Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

mine is "Apocalypse in 9/8". strangely it is also the most disappointing part at the same time. how can that be? simple: in the live version of "Supper's Ready" on "Seconds Out" Tony Banks repeats the studio version of his solo in the "Apocalypse" part note for note. this is highly disappointing; that part calls for a real wild keyboard attack live, with lots of improvisation. how very boring. sit, Banks, and write "I shall not repat my solos live" 500 times

That's not Tony's style...he is classically trained and is a perfectionist.  He never showed off or tryed to steal the show, that's why he repeats the solo note for note-- it serves a purpose in the song.  No reason to change this section's role in the album.

I disagree; when I go to a concert, I don't want solos to be repeated note for note; I could listen to the band at home then

Agreed. I have some Genesis live material and I keep waiting for something special to be added to the songs and they repeat them verbatim. That pisses me off and just like you, I would rather sit in the comforts of my home and spin the studio lp then see them repeat it live.

PS....Willow Farm for me.

That makes three of us.  Why go to a concert if it's going to be note for note?

I agree also.  What I was saying in the first place is that this particular part (9/8 solo) doesn't need to be changed.  A fast, uncoordinated solo would be pointless and pretensious.  A song such as Supper's Ready has certain sections that hold it together, the Apocalypse solo being one of them.  This section of the song would, in a way, lose its identity if altered too much.

If you don't stand up
You don't stand a chance!
Biggles View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2005 at 18:06

"Willow Farm" for sure.

The crux of the biscuit is the apostrophe.

Bern View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2005 at 21:46

I don't know... the whole song is superb!!

But Willow Farm is the part I have the most fun to sing along.

Musically, I prefer the solos in The band of Merry Men and in Apocalypse in 9/8. That drum beat and that keyboard solos are... GREAT!!!

Anyway, I always listen to the whole thing since it's such a great song!

Let's put it on right now!!

RIP in bossa nova heaven.
porter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2005 at 10:40
Ikhnaton and Itsacon for me...one of Hacketts' greatest solos ever especially the tapping part at the end (I guess many guitarists here will agree)
"my kingdom for a horse!" (W. Shakespeare, "Richard III")
el_Sethro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2005 at 16:52
1.Willow Farm
2.Guaranteed Eternal Sanctuary Man
3. Ikhnaton and Itsacon and Their Band of Merry Men

but the whole song's absolutely incredible. one of my favorites, for sure
Who you gonna call?
FragileDT View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2005 at 17:12
Its gotta be Willow Farm for me. Apocalypse is close but Willow Farm will
ever remain as my favorite.
One likes to believe
In the freedom of music
But glittering prizes
And endless Compromises
Shatter the illusion
Of integrity
The Wizard View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2005 at 16:17

Itsacon and Itacon and their band of merry men

I'm suprised not as many people love this one, with it's great guitar solo.

eduardossc View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2005 at 17:01

I think every single note, tone and mood on "Supperīs ready" is just accurate and full of creativity, passion and conviction. I could hardly find a match for this song. Excuse me for comparing this to others. But I really feel there is not enough justice among critics when judging this song. "Supperīs ready" has way more musical ideas, atmospheres, images and creativity than "Close to the edge", which is nothing but a Prog-pop song that relies on repetitive vocal hooks throughout. Great and entertaining hooks but repetitive nonetheless. "Tarkus" could be a great match but there is always that feeling of "loss of direction" on this song. This one sounds like a dozen of songs mixed together very badly. They are all entertaining and the playing is great and impressive, it really is good and I love it. I could say "Supperīs ready" is better for the theatrical aspect. Genesis delivers way more feelings, moods and textures than EL&P in "Tarkus". While "Tarkus" is somewhat impersonal...Damn ĄĄ, I really like "Tarkus", but after listening "Supperīs " I know imagination and creativity is on Genesisīside.

"Atom heart mother", "Echoes" and "Dogs", by Floyd are all written on no more than 3 ideas each. The songwritting, imagination and creativity is poor. They sure deliver apealing moods and feelings, but simplier songs can do that too. Also, this songs always repeat the main melodies somewhere after the horrible-time-consuming-middle sections. "Shine" is wonderful. Itīs IMO the moodiest and most inspired long-side-song. Still, "Supperīs" doesnīt lose a single second out of itīs 23 minutes and fills every single one with images and originality. Creativity is a factor I really value and "Supperīs" has way more of it than "Shine".

"Thick as a brick I" is marvelous. ...Itīs full of images, imagination, moods and evrything....I donīt know, itīs also very entertaining and greatly played. "Supperīs" is better because it shows a wider range of textures, moods and images.

"Lizard"....No arguments.

By the way. Apocalyse in 9/8 is an overlooked piece of music among Genesisī output. Had any other band played it, would be considered the top of itīs cataloge. Genesis was just too creative to look at all they wrote. While others with much less imagination like YES receive more credit for Prog-pop songs like "Close to the edge".

Bottom line, "9/8".

Pr@gmatic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2005 at 21:11
"If you go down to Willow Farm, to look for butterflies, flutterbyes, gutterflies..."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123