Topic ClosedZebra and Billy Thorpe

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Zebra and Billy Thorpe
    Posted: July 16 2004 at 22:33

OK, just putting it out there...two songs that I used to hear on the prog-friendly AOR stations while growing up. Any thoughts? (i.e., do they belong on this site?)

Zebra - Who's Behind the Door

Billy Thorpe - Children of the Sun

maani View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Founding Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2004 at 00:05

James:

As you well know, a band does not earn a place on this site simply because they wrote one or two songs that were played on "prog-friendly" stations - even if those songs were, in fact, "prog."  A band earns its place here only if the majority of their output over their entire career was composed and recorded using "progressive sensibilities" in a conscious manner.  This is why all the arguments for The Who (Tommy, Quadrophenia, a handful of other songs) and others continually fail to move the Webmasters to include them.

BTW, it's funny you should bring up Zebra.  Just the other day someone told me about them and said they were a "horrible" band.  Never heard them myself, so I don't know if it's true.

Peace.

dude View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2004 at 01:23

As a matter of interest BILY THORPE Hails from my country(Australia) Where in the early seventies he and his band THE AZTECS had a string of hits("Most People I know Think That Im Crazy",a Pseudo gospel song,and "Mama" being two of many) and succesful albums

His style was what could be termed "HARD BLUES ROCK" long guitar breaks, pounding drums in common time

In the late seventies he went to the states and recorded THE CHILDREN OF THE SUN albums(2 i think(correct me if i am wrong please)) these were concept albums totally out of character with what he had done before dealing as they did with science fiction themes of a race searching for a new home in space THEY COULD BE TERMED "progressive" and they became quite popular in the Staes in the early 80's although almost unknown here in Australia I have heard some tracks and found them interesting especially when compared to what he did before and i would like to hearmore at some stage soon!!!!!

Edited by dude
threefates View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2004 at 04:00

Well I had never heard of Zebra either until Jon Anderson's solo tour show here in NYC a few months ago, where his warm up was none other than Zebra's front man..John (somebody..)  Didn't care for him, but he seemed to have quite a few fans in the room.. who were actually big Yes fans.

Here he is now..

THIS IS ELP
dropForge View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2004 at 11:27

Zebra's guitarist/vocalist is Randy Jackson, not John Somebody.

Anyway, old Zebra's great, and new Zebra isn't half-bad. The first two albums, Zebra (1983) and No Tellin' Lies (1985) are excellent hard rock albums with seriously good guitar playing and Randy's unearthly falsetto vocal (he could really go high...in more ways than one). I've always referred to Zebra as the "American Triumph," because Zebra, like Triumph, is/was a trio, and has/had an amazing guitarist/vocalist package with an unusually good (falsetto) voice. Zebra's 1987 album, 3.V, was marred by that typically overproduced '80s sound and pretty muched sucked, except for "Making You The Fool." Zebra's a band that could have enjoyed a lot more success if it weren't for the fact their debut was roughly five or six years too late (in 1983, it was still Atlantic's fastest-selling debut, for its time).

As for Billy Thorpe, he released two concept albums, one in the late '70s, Children Of The Sun, and the second in the early '80s, 21st Century Man (he never recorded/released the 'third' album in the trilogy). CotS is the better of the two, with one side devoted to Thorpe's SF concept (the songs are great). Not quite prog, but I'd deem the material "symphonic rock." The next one has more songs continuing the storyline, and several are good, several are okay, and one additional rock & roll song (not a part of the story) was tacked on. Children Of The Sun's 1987 reissue has a bunch of different songs for the B-side, all slick and poppy (it was '86/87), and not too memorable. CotS is worth a listen, and the first five songs are seriously cool.

James Lee View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2004 at 11:34

maani- that's exactly why I put up the thread, to determine if either song was representative of their band's general sound or just a one-off sort of thing. All I knew about Zebra was that they were Zep-influenced, and I knew even less about Thorpe. Now I have a bit more info...and a completely unexpected picture ...but I know there has got to be some hardcore fan of either band out there who can tell us even more.

Whoops- I have to remember to check the thread if it takes me more than a minute to write a reply. That's exactly the kind of information I was looking for, thanks

Edited by James Lee
dropForge View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2004 at 12:09

If you need to know for certain whether Zebra is a prog band or not: Zebra is not. If you like pre-Hemispheres Rush, and Triumph, I don't see why you wouldn't like Zebra, as they've got two albums of great rockin' music. Thorpe certainly got close, but he didn't do anything particularly groundbreaking. He's a songwriter/guitarist/singer, first. Children Of The Sun is still worth owning on CD, just for the title track. Kinda Floydish, with Thorpe's expressive vocal and lots of great synth stuff. You can find the CD online for very cheap.

threefates View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2004 at 13:31
Originally posted by dropForge dropForge wrote:

Zebra's guitarist/vocalist is Randy Jackson, not John Somebody.

I guess it was all the screaming he was doing with an acoustic guitar.  I told you I wasn't paying much attention...

THIS IS ELP
maani View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Founding Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2004 at 14:59

James:

Oops.  Sorry if I was "quick to jump."    I don't usually do that.  Must have been a lack of sleep...

Peace.

James Lee View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2004 at 16:25

No worries- I've done that sort of thing too many times myself

Post Reply Post Reply