Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Tech Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Oppo3 planars.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keriboi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Oppo3 planars.
    Posted: August 12 2019 at 02:15
Looking at getting these headphones for my prog. Anyone using them and can recommend? Unfortunately I cant try a pair where I live. 
Sgt Pepper View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt Pepper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2019 at 08:38
I have used them up until very recently and they are quite astonishing, but I have a pair of Sennheiser Momentum 2 that I find equaly as good IMO.
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2019 at 09:13
Go to the Cans thread, I remember these being mentioned there:
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2019 at 06:32
I’ve given up recommending headphones mostly because we all seem to hear things differently.
One thing though: the PM-3 is a planar headphone and will sound very different than your usual dynamic drivers. Planars tend to have incredibly low distortion numbers which in return gives you a crystal clear window into the music...yet some don’t like this. Personally I think it’s to do with habit. Most of us have grown up with dynamic drivers in our earbuds/headphones/speakers and aren’t used to this level of low distortion....yet we don’t really ‘hear’ this kind of distortion but more feel it. Many prefer the extra punch that comes with dynamic drivers and distortion.
Personally I absolutely love planars. The bass region in particular is to die for. Electronic music fans should do themseæves a favour and listen to a planar once in their lives and hear everything they’ve missed up until then.

Also, the PM-3 has rather small earpads so it may not be around the ear but rather a large on-ear headphone you end up with.
Best of luck:)

Edited by Guldbamsen - August 15 2019 at 06:33
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Howard the Duck View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Howard the Duck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2019 at 08:11
If you want a very decent set of cans for a pretty low price, get some Sennheiser HD 201s. Great value for a low price (possibly under $30-40 in the US), and they respond really well to EQ too imo. If you have a relatively cheap DAP like mine they actually suit those better than a more expensive set.

I listen to FLAC rips of prog (vinyl + CD) my player, and at that price you really can't go wrong in terms of the sound you get (especially compared to some other similarly-priced cans - some of the "cool" brands can be way more expensive and sound much crappier!)
MacGyver can do a super guitar solo with a broom and an elastic band. Can you do better?

Post Reply Post Reply