Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Prog Band you tried to get in to , but can't.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 131415
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2022 at 14:57
Pawn Hearts, Still Life, H To He, Who Am The Only One, Godbluff, A Grounding in Numbers, tried them all.
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2022 at 15:05
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

Pawn Hearts, Still Life, H To He, Who Am The Only One, Godbluff, A Grounding in Numbers, tried them all.
I agree with you on most of those unmemorable VDGG albums, but H to He lifts me higher than most. Smile
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2022 at 15:15
Don't get me wrong, I don't find it objectionable or anything, it just doesn't grab me like many other bands do.
There are plenty of popular bands that are like that for me. Canadian band Blue Rodeo is a good example. Very popular for a long time in the country but held no real interest for me.

Edited by JD - February 01 2022 at 15:16
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Jaketejas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaketejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2022 at 17:42
I really tried to get into Dream Theater. They are VERY solid technically. I’m a Rush fan, so I thought it was an obvious fit. But, when I listened to DT, I either detected songs that seemed like Rush spin-offs or I didn’t respond to them on an emotional level.

When I hear Freewill by Rush, I immediately feel something and - as my wife says - it’s like an invisible antenna pops out of my head. Subdivisions really digs into me and there is some connection formed. I can even relate to the lyrics. Xanadu takes me to another plane. But, Dream Theater has not done this for me. I hear a lot of instrumental wizardry, but I don’t feel anything.

I’m even afraid to listen to them and other bands like them for fear of losing the inspiration I get from listening to other forms of Prog music. I think I have DT aversion. I know that’s not fair. I should give them another chance.

I just remember … oh, this sounds like a variation of Limelight. That sounds like a new riff for Xanadu. They also use chromaticism a lot, but not in … at least, to my ears, anyway … a pleasing way. I love chromaticism in chord progressions, but as scales in solos it just either sounds like a guitar exercise or that one is searching for the notes. Some chromaticism in blues and as grace notes sounds nice. But, I don’t care for excessive chromaticism in riffs and solos. I think the issue is that I enjoy tonality (even when the root is on the run, like in some prog). But, excessive chromaticism loses tonal richness … and eventually my ears say “enough!”

I hope I haven’t offended the DT fans. As I said, they are extremely good from a technical standpoint. The music just hasn’t yet connected with me.

P.S. I also stopped listening to Rush albums after Vapor Trails because I thought they started to sound too much like DT. I think I’m stuck in the 1980s and 1970s.

Edited by Jaketejas - February 01 2022 at 17:49
Magog2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magog2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2023 at 04:45
Originally posted by progmatic progmatic wrote:

Transatlantic. Vocals aren't to my liking.

I also can't seem to get into Transatlantic, which is ironic as I am a big fan of Pete Trewavas and Roine Stolt and their respective bands.
paisanojac View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paisanojac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2023 at 11:34
Originally posted by Magog2112 Magog2112 wrote:

Originally posted by progmatic progmatic wrote:

Transatlantic. Vocals aren't to my liking.

I also can't seem to get into Transatlantic, which is ironic as I am a big fan of Pete Trewavas and Roine Stolt and their respective bands.

I'm also a fan of Trewavas, but his project with Edison's Children just didn't do anything for me. 

Edited by paisanojac - August 01 2023 at 11:36
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 131415