Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Welcome newbies!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Greetings all!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fazermint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Greetings all!
    Posted: October 20 2019 at 14:42
Hello there! Thought I'd introduce myself before I started posting on the forums. I'm not quite new to the site - been using it for a while - but it's high time I start hanging out here!

My music taste is decently diverse, as I listen to a lot of heavy metal (traditional, power, progressive), progressive rock obviously, but also hard rock, glam, classic rock and the likes, as well as orchestral scores and video game music. I am not as well versed in prog as I am in metal, as it is a newer fascination of mine. There's a whole bunch of music just waiting for me, and that's amazing!

I am a 28 year old guy, married, with a daughter of 9 months (my pride and joy). Currently reside in the Netherlands, though I hail from Norway and intend to go back eventually. A former colleague and good mate of mine is a fellow prog enthusiast, and we've been to a few gigs together this year. We saw The Neal Morse Band back in march, and a recent highlight was Sky Architect which we caught on the Prog Dreams festival. I did not know this band beforehand and was blown away by the slick riffs and creative song building. We're planning to see Flying Colors in December.

Looking forward to meeting new people! Contemplating starting a prog music discord server, since I have the feeling that prog people are quite easy going and nice people whereas the metal crowds I hang out with can be a bit more toxic at times. Also wondering if anyone knows a good mini blog hosting site? I like to write about music and other stuff, but I have tried things like Wordpress in the past and get too caught up in how it looks visually and fighting with the layout, and subsequently lose motivation for the writing itself...

Anyway, Cheers!
Quinino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quinino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2019 at 14:59
Hi, Welcome !
Are you also considering the writing of album reviews for PA ?
Fazermint View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fazermint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2019 at 15:16
Originally posted by Quinino Quinino wrote:

Hi, Welcome !

Thank you! I might want to do reviews in the future, but at this point I don't really feel experienced enough to bring much value to any potential readers. 
Quinino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quinino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2019 at 15:47
^ Be confident - if you can express and communicate to others your own feelings towards the music, that's the main dish in a review !

(I would risk to say everything else is only sidings, important but just a complement)
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2019 at 17:47
Nice introduction, wonderful to have you ~

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2019 at 18:13
Hello! What are some of your favorite prog artists and albums?

Edited by dougmcauliffe - October 20 2019 at 18:23
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2019 at 23:42
Originally posted by Fazermint Fazermint wrote:

Hi, Welcome !

Thank you! I might want to do reviews in the future, but at this point I don't really feel experienced enough to bring much value to any potential readers. 

Having read your original post at the top of the page and seen your very high standard of grammar, punctuation and spelling, I'm sure you would make an excellent album reviewer. Thumbs Up 
Fazermint View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fazermint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2019 at 06:21

^ Be confident - if you can express and communicate to others your own feelings towards the music, that's the main dish in a review !

(I would risk to say everything else is only sidings, important but just a complement)

Thanks for the encouragement, I will take it to heart.

Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Nice introduction, wonderful to have you ~

Cheers!

Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

Hello! What are some of your favorite prog artists and albums?

On the metal side of things, Pagan's Mind and Symphony X would be the main ones, as well as anything by Devin Townsend. Rock-wise: Rush, anything by Neal Morse, Comedy of Errors, and Novela, just to name a few. Moron Police - A Boat in the Sea is an excellent recent favorite.

Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Having read your original post at the top of the page and seen your very high standard of grammar, punctuation and spelling, I'm sure you would make an excellent album reviewer. Thumbs Up 

Thank you for the kind words! Might try my hand at it then
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2019 at 08:58
Welcome to the site.  Reviews are always welcome.

Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2019 at 09:01
Welcome

Post Reply Post Reply