Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Tech Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Why do you use headphones at home?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zeph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2020 at 08:12
Small apartment, had a baby, sold speakers. I'm thinking about buying a stereo again, but I'm happy with IEMs at this point. One reason being that I often spend time in the kitchen or elsewhere. If I had a stereo for music in the living room, I'd have to stay there.

I usually play too loud, but neighbours on four sides also has something to do with it.
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2020 at 08:58
Simple answer, sometimes I just wanna hear a single song or put something on conveniently and easily without throwing a record or CD on, which I do plenty of as well!
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
Earl of Mar View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earl of Mar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2020 at 09:17
In the evening I sometimes just use my A&R AR25 with Meze Classics, cant be bothered firing up the main system. If I'm ready for a session I still have to think of others, so I will probably still use headphones ( I have a pair of stax lamda on the main hi fi).
When everyone is out though, its speakers all,the way.
A Crimson Mellotron View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Crimson Mellotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2020 at 11:36
Because I can get the most out of the sound... and why not?
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2020 at 12:56
^ Absolutely--   the music not only sounds better, you get that kitsch stereo split signal !

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2020 at 13:25
^No doubt..headphones sound great....I use them upstairs so as not to bother the wife...down in the stereo room... speakers are blasting.
Thumbs Up
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2020 at 20:07
Hi,

Originally posted by LAM-SGC LAM-SGC wrote:

A question concerning home listening only.
I'm interested to know why people use headphones at home:

That one is easy ... I decided I didn't want anyone from PA hearing it!

Besides, they wouldn't be interested in music, anyway, just songs, right? Wink

Big smile
Embarrassed
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vompatti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2020 at 20:55
My main amp doesn't even have a proper headphone output.
triptych View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote triptych Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2020 at 01:22

WinkBig smile
Because when I listen to hard prog rock bands ON LOUD MODE on my Sony 1200 W stereo system, my neighbours do too Thumbs Up
operationStone View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote operationStone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2022 at 09:16
I use headphones at home firstly because I don't live alone, and noise cancellation is a must. Also, I don't want to disturb my family members with the music I am listening to. It's important to add it gives me some more privacy.
I don't have my own room and putting on the headphones becomes a sign of my personal space that cannot and should not be violated by anyone. I chose my headphones on productz.com solely for noise cancellation and privacy. And I also think the sound is better this way, and I can hear more details than if I used a speaker or any other loud device.

Edited by operationStone - October 30 2022 at 17:44
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2022 at 09:51
I mostly use headphones when.
1. When I’m the only one who is awake.
2, When I’m listening to Ambient Music.
3. Heavy Prog
4. Whenever I won’t to be able to be alone.
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2022 at 11:08
Hi,

In general, the issue is that these days listening to music on speakers, is not as good an experience as it was in the old days. I think there is something "synthetic" about the headphones, and the CD's that have taken some liveliness out of the original LP's ... and that is not to say that it does not sound cool, or great on the headset and CD's but I remember the power and the incredible surge of energy from "Wolf City", from "Tago Mago", from "Black Dance", from "Stratosfear" that the CD's are not delivering, and the many "remasters" made, for me, made it worse, by separating things that were not there before ... not that different positioning is not a good idea (it works great in orchestras to get some better moments) but it ate apart what appeared to be an incredible cohesiveness in the originals that do not appear in the CD's.

About the only one group I can see the difference, is the redone material that EROC did for GROBSCHNITT and how amazing it sounds, and still very together, as the original. Even hearing several versions of "Solar Music", is incredible, and you end up feeling that you definitely would want to be at that show!

It's possible that my ears and imagination are seeing more into this than is really there, but somehow, putting on a CD on the big stereo is not as nice, and great as it once felt. I once blew out "Deadwing" on the speakers and it sounded nice, but for some bizarre notion, it seems to sound better on the earphones ... I've never figured that out, but I think the stylus/needle in the turntable is likely the culprit that made the music more alive and the way it is done on CD, is not as well mixed and designed as it was for the LP.

Something like that. 

Makes me hope that in the next 50 years you go to a concert with headphones, not to see a band!

How's that for weird? At least you would hear something "better" than the horrible mixes for most bands in so many live shows, of which many bands I have seen have suffered in the quality!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2022 at 15:35
Many reasons, but mainly because I get absolutely killer elite sound without disturbing the peace. :)
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12