Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Tribute Bands and Prog Radio
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Z Spring Preview of Playlists on KSFR.org

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zwordser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Z Spring Preview of Playlists on KSFR.org
    Posted: March 13 2020 at 21:03

Hey PA members:

The following is an email I recently sent to my radio fan-club (of sorts) to give a preview of themed playlists I'm wanting to put on air this Spring.  I've decided to post it here on Progarchives too!  I don't have a regular program time slot, but I'm usually asked to go on air Friday nights. I'll keep posting here throughout the Spring to announce when I'll be on air, and what the theme will be any given night.

Listening to a live program is easy online at KSFR.org, (community radio in Santa Fe, New Mexico) which has a play button on the top left of the page.  Please also feel free (as the message below mentions) to post suggestions for any of these playlists.   Thanks,

Z

Hi Folks:

I'm gearing up for some more radio DJ action this Spring!  My first show will likely air Friday, March 20 from 8-10 PM Mountain Time, on KSFR.org.

As most of you know, I usually have a theme for each program, but I haven't decided on one for next week yet (or beyond).

So, as the first air-date is still over a week away, I thought I'd give a preview of some of the playlists that are (mostly) ready to put on air. Here are the ones I've been leaning toward:

• Amazing Violin II. The Spring 2019 program of The Amazing Violin generated the most comments/suggestions (and listenership?) of any KSFR program I did. SO, how about another round with more great violin, perhaps some viola/cello in the mix as well?

• Classical Covers I. Many Progressive Rock bands have borrowed and/or entirely played great Classical pieces in their own special way. For most of these, the original classical work will be included alongside the cover for comparison.

• Childhood  Great music with the theme of childhood, including some tracks with actual children and/or children's choirs singing. (Note, may combine this with Transatlantic, below).

• <<Crescendo!<< I My first theme based on a song structure. Highlights works that begin low and soft, then build and build to a great climax/finale.

• Great Drum Solos: With the recent passing of Neil Peart--one of the greatest drummers to have played (for the band Rush)--I've decided to include this playlist as a kind of tribute to Neil and to great drumming.

• Neo-Prog Sampler I Did Progressive Rock end with the passing of the 70's? Not entirely: a new sound emerged with an 80's vibe that became known as “Neo-Prog. A sampling of the best bands of this movement from the 80's to recent.

• Poetry and Prose Musical works that include the spoken word along with the sung lyric. Narrative stories as well as Poetic passages highlighted in this show.

• Proto-Prog to 1969

• Hour 1: the roots of Progressive Rock Explored, 1965-1968 with The Beatles, Moody Blues, Black Sabbath, Procol Harem, The Nice and other foundational bands.

• Hour 2: 1969 the year in which Progressive Rock really started to sprout with initial albums of the best bands of the budding genre: King Crimson, Yes, Genesis, Jethro Tull, Renaissance, and more.

• Rock Progressivo Italiano Sampler Outside of England in the 70's there wasn't a more robust or well-developed Progressive Rock movement than in Italy. A sampling of some of the best Italian bands of the 70's til today.

• Either the Breakup of The Yardbirds or The Yes-Men (OK, maybe both, but at least one). For these, I will highlight music of the solo careers and/or other bands that members of the mentioned bands have played in, e.g., Led Zeppelin, Cream, Renaissance, Flash, etc.

• Transatlantic One of the best “supergroups” of recent years. A sampling of music from each of the four members' original bands (two from the U.S. and two from Europe), – concluding with music from Transatlantic itself, including their superb epic: Duel With The Devil (with children's choir--may combine with Childhood theme above).

Those are what I have "on deck", but I also have some alternatives including several regional sample playlists for Prog Rock from Germany, France, Quebec, Northern Europe, Eastern Europe, Latin America, and the United States.  plus topical/musical playlists: Harpsichord, Flute, Beautiful Sadness (melancholic Prog), Freedom, Friendship, Lies/hypocrisy, "Carried Away" and more. 

...All probably more than I'll get to this Spring, so I'll prioritize them at least partly based on any feedback I get. So feel free to shoot me a message for whatever looks the most interesting to you.

Hope many of you get to tune in.

Happy (almost) Springtime!

Z

Edited by zwordser - March 13 2020 at 21:23
Z
 Post Reply Post Reply