Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

PA's Top Albums from the 60s & 70s

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2020 at 08:02
Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

AInstead too many Italian prog albums to my personal opinion

But there are not nearly as many Italian prog albums as there are British albums. I counted:

21 British albums (out of which 15 make the entire top 15)
4 Italian albums
3 Canadian albums
2 US albums

Edited by The Anders - May 31 2020 at 08:03
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2020 at 12:55
First of all: There have been so many great albums over the years that having more than one from a certain artist can be called nothing but fan-boyism/girlism

In no specific order, and I will include the Big Six though they are by no means my Big Six:

Can - Tago Mago
Tangerine Dream - Rubycon
Van der Graaf Generator - Pawn Hearts
Mother Gong - Fairy Tales
Gong - You
Hawkwind - Warrior on the Edge of Time
Amon Düül II - Tanz der Lemminge
Embryo - Rocksession
Nektar - Recycled
King Crimson - Lizard
Magma - Mëkanïk Dëstruktïẁ Kömmandöh
Emerson, Lake & Palmer - Trilogy
Genesis - The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway *
Yes - Relayer
Jethro Tull - Thick as a Bridge
Gentle Giant - Octopus
Pink Floyd - Meddle
Peter Hammill - The Fall of the House of Usher (1999 version)
Henry Cow - Western Culture
Gryphon - Red Queen to Gryphon Three

* If the private version of Jean and me of Nursery Cryme including the tracks "Happy the Man" and Twilight Alehouse" as track 8 and 9 would count this would replace "The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway". This list could change at any time, but some albums would always stay on it. And most of the so-called Big Six would usually not appear on my list at all.

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2020 at 15:04
Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

First of all: There have been so many great albums over the years that having more than one from a certain artist can be called nothing but fan-boyism/girlism

This kind of remark pops up about lists again and again. If you want to make a list that has every artist just once you are free to do that, and I see why one wants to do that.

But if I just want to list the best albums without any side conditions or any eye on recommending more artists to anyone or whatever consideration that is different from "what are the best albums"... there is no reason not to have two by the same artist, if you just think they're that good. I won't have anyone make me feel bad about doing such a thing on a best albums list.  (And yes, I do think Art Zoyd have three in the best 30 of the 2000s!)

Edited by Lewian - May 31 2020 at 15:06
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2020 at 15:45
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

This kind of remark pops up about lists again and again. If you want to make a list that has every artist just once you are free to do that, and I see why one wants to do that.

But if I just want to list the best albums without any side conditions or any eye on recommending more artists to anyone or whatever consideration that is different from "what are the best albums"... there is no reason not to have two by the same artist, if you just think they're that good. I won't have anyone make me feel bad about doing such a thing on a best albums list.  (And yes, I do think Art Zoyd have three in the best 30 of the 2000s!)

Since there are in my opinion so many albums that I consider to be on par and as good as they come (I could pick about 200 that I would consider to be worthy of the top spot) I see absolutely no reason to list an artist twice.

Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2020 at 16:07

Since there are in my opinion so many albums that I consider to be on par and as good as they come (I could pick about 200 that I would consider to be worthy of the top spot) I see absolutely no reason to list an artist twice.

Drew's list is strictly the PA weighted rankings for the decades in question, not his or anyone else's personal rankings. And like I said, so much of how these rankings fall into place has to do with exposure. Magic Power Mako's Magical Power or Images' self-titled release, or even the next teir up, Pulsar's Halloween are never going to make the list over the 3rd or 4th ranked album from the big 5 because they just don't have the exposure, no matter how good they are.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2020 at 16:15
Originally posted by Tapfret Tapfret wrote:

Drew's list is strictly the PA weighted rankings for the decades in question, not his or anyone else's personal rankings. And like I said, so much of how these rankings fall into place has to do with exposure. Magic Power Mako's Magical Power or Images' self-titled release, or even the next teir up, Pulsar's Halloween are never going to make the list over the 3rd or 4th ranked album from the big 5 because they just don't have the exposure, no matter how good they are.

Yes, but he explicitly asked for personal rankings in the original post.

Exposure definitely has to do with it. Everyone knows "Close to the Edge" by Yes. Hardly anyone knows "Fairy Tales" by Mother Gong.

Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2020 at 16:42

I'm not criticising your list, but sl*g.ing off everyone who does it differently in a side remark wasn't exactly necessary.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2020 at 07:14

Hi,

Thank you. I know for sure I was not the only one to say it!

And that it does not belong with "progressive music" or "prog"!

BTW, excellent list and probably closer to mine if I were to make one ... 

Exposure definitely has to do with it. Everyone knows "Close to the Edge" by Yes. Hardly anyone knows "Fairy Tales" by Mother Gong.

And worse ... many of these folks will make harsh comments and will never bother to listen to it ... same thing for the Robot Woman album ... because it hits them where it hurts?

Edited by moshkito - June 01 2020 at 07:22
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2020 at 07:20
Originally posted by Tapfret Tapfret wrote:

And like I said, so much of how these rankings fall into place has to do with exposure. Magic Power Mako's Magical Power or Images' self-titled release, or even the next teir up, Pulsar's Halloween are never going to make the list over the 3rd or 4th ranked album from the big 5 because they just don't have the exposure, no matter how good they are.

Hi,

Tap .... and PA could use its many admins and honored folks to help that ... but when many of these folks spend their time posting in fanboy threads, and then not respecting folks that think differently ... it makes it impossible to be fair about all the music out there!

The criticism about the "differences" ... is really harsh ... and gets worse when the attitude starts justifying a popcorn and candy poll ... with duplicates.

Please, all I ask is ... where do you stand in terms of "progressive music"? ... with all of it, or just the favorite top of the morning yawn?
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2020 at 00:39
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

after that it's a lot of keyboard/symphonic prog really that is good but not as good as ELP , Rick Wakeman, Trace and a good few others in my opinion although a lot of it is decent neverthless. 
Btw have you heard the Aphrodite's Child album 666?  I do feel that album is too often overlooked and for the life of my I'll never understand why.

Hi,

It is a nice list, but I think part of the problem with it is exactly what you mention ... "not as good as..." which tends to suggest that no one can create music like those folks did ... of course not ... but the instruments are pretty much the same the world over, so some sounds will also appear elsewhere! This is the main reason why I do not compare anyone to RW of KE, or any other keyboard player out there ... it doesn't say anything about the creativity that some of these other folks put together!

AC ... my sisters had been in Europe in 1968 and such, and they brought home the two AC albums, and I had already heard and knew well (even before the 666 album ... which sent me after all the Irene Pappas films I could find!!!) way before I got into the music that became known as "progressive" ... around 1972 and a half or so ... when in one day, I ended up hearing over 10 bands (mostly on the Harvest label, btw) and a year later the same label had stuff out from Europe just as good and great!

So for me, I had already seen the Beatles and Rolling Stones fame thing, and I didn't like it ... it was like they could do anything they wanted and everyone would think it was great ... and some of it wasn't, specially the RS. And when a couple of band hit it big in America ... gads ... I already had YES's first 2 albums, I already had The Nice's albums ... and the new things ... were just that ... the new things! To me, it was a natural progression for those artists ... not some sort of seminal artistic this and that ... because I could not compare a lot of this music to 40K books and history of Portuguese, Brazilian and Spanish Literature ... and its' like saying that only Don Quixote is worth it, and the rest is just merde ... and it is not true at all, and all one is saying is ... they don't know anything about the rest!

And I, don't like to use that parallel with folks here, because they have a lot of knowledge in a lot of music, that even you and I don't. But the cookie cutter thing, really hurts what "progressive music" is meant to be, specially for us elders ... we should not be saying ... sounds like ... 

Going back to the Italian Prog thing , I am pretty ignorant about these bands although I enjoy the more popular ones PFM , Le Orme and Banco of course. In general I will always tend to gravitate towards symphonic keyboard based prog . If I only one piece of music from prog as a genre that I was allowed to listen to then it would be ELP- Tarkus.

Music needs to be inspired for me and it can be pretentious and bombastic. This is the real nub of why so many don't like ELP imo but that is fine.

Rick Wakeman was also (like Emerson) too much of a character to just dryly compose 'nice' music. Was there ever a more 'classically trained' keyboard player than him yet he also had a personality and that is important to me at least as it comes across in the music. Personality is something that is too often sorely missing. The pioneers did it. Those that came later copied to some extent but made nice listenable records. However to my ears, PFM early albums summed up everything beautifully and ELP noticed! 

M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2020 at 05:51
^ Wakeman has produced some complete sh*te...especially his god bothering stuff..ELP produced a lot of godawful stuff after works vol 1...I do know that you place a lot of vañue on the perceived flow of an album....but I still don't see any value in Genesis after 1977 when Hackett left..nor Rush after MP...Do you prefer these to say Flowerpower or Stardust we are by the Flower kings? I think that may be where our musical tastes diverge....
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2020 at 06:35
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

^ Wakeman has produced some complete sh*te...especially his god bothering stuff..ELP produced a lot of godawful stuff after works vol 1...I do know that you place a lot of vañue on the perceived flow of an album....but I still don't see any value in Genesis after 1977 when Hackett left..nor Rush after MP...Do you prefer these to say Flowerpower or Stardust we are by the Flower kings? I think that may be where our musical tastes diverge....

Hi,

I don't like to say bad things about keyboard players ... to me, is the keyboard integrated into the completeness of the music, or is it flying on its own ... and it gets really easy to see which ones are just solo'ing and which ones are playing with the group. I don't think, for example, that many of us would say that Rich Wright did a bunch of solos, since so much of it is an important part of the song/piece itself, and that is what I mean ... the same for the AD2 keyboard player in the early days ... you never heard anything that sounded like a solo ... and that means it was all about the completeness of the music ... and to me, just like classical music, we don't sit here (or anywhere else) and say that the violin was not needed, and those strings were a waste and whatever other silly comment.

RW is a very good "technician", and he knows his keyboards really well ... no doubt there. But to my ears he is playing the same bits and pieces on a different machine with a different sound ... just a couple of note changes and this little solo over there, then we move over here kind of thing, and for this reason, I never really found RW's solo albums that great ... I would like to see less "solo" bits and pieces and more music and specially a cohesiveness of sound with each bit and piece fitting the total music, not standing out as just a solo!

It's a personal taste I guess, but when you compare KE, in their early days, I never felt that TARKUS or THE ENDLESS ENIGMA ... were all solo ... it was beautifully designed into the completeness of the piece of music, and then when you hear Rachel Flower do this on piano, you know right away, how great the composition itself was ... a shame that academia can not appreciate that greatness!
www.pedrosena.com
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2020 at 02:19
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

Hi,

I don't like to say bad things about keyboard players ... to me, is the keyboard integrated into the completeness of the music, or is it flying on its own ... and it gets really easy to see which ones are just solo'ing and which ones are playing with the group. I don't think, for example, that many of us would say that Rich Wright did a bunch of solos, since so much of it is an important part of the song/piece itself, and that is what I mean ... the same for the AD2 keyboard player in the early days ... you never heard anything that sounded like a solo ... and that means it was all about the completeness of the music ... and to me, just like classical music, we don't sit here (or anywhere else) and say that the violin was not needed, and those strings were a waste and whatever other silly comment.

RW is a very good "technician", and he knows his keyboards really well ... no doubt there. But to my ears he is playing the same bits and pieces on a different machine with a different sound ... just a couple of note changes and this little solo over there, then we move over here kind of thing, and for this reason, I never really found RW's solo albums that great ... I would like to see less "solo" bits and pieces and more music and specially a cohesiveness of sound with each bit and piece fitting the total music, not standing out as just a solo!

It's a personal taste I guess, but when you compare KE, in their early days, I never felt that TARKUS or THE ENDLESS ENIGMA ... were all solo ... it was beautifully designed into the completeness of the piece of music, and then when you hear Rachel Flower do this on piano, you know right away, how great the composition itself was ... a shame that academia can not appreciate that greatness!

This is interesting

I do think that Keith was more constrained by the demands of ELP and especially the sizeable ego of Greg Lake! Rick W did fly a bit more because he was able to do what he wanted on his solo albums which probably sold as much as ELP at the time. That said Judas Iscariot is an absolutely stunning piece from a compositional point of view that Wakeman should be very proud of (Criminal Record only spoilt by the dreaded 'fun track' The Breathalyser) . Both Emerson and Wakeman were very capable composers but the rock star antics and every increasing keyboard stacks were something of a distraction I suspect in terms of how they were viewed (and still are).

Rick Wright on the other hand is a completely different animal and was content to add atmosphere and blend the keyboards a bit more into the music. He was a very quiet man and like Jon Lord decided that the 'rock star' thing was not for him. I believe with keyboards , you have to consider the personality of the guy and not just technical skill. Who wants to blend into the background and who wants to be at the front of the stage. 
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2020 at 09:27
^ Wright did some nice VCS3 work on SOYCD...but I reckon king of the laid back style was Badens...and he also had the chops with his synth and organ solos...and Greenslade and Lawson were both superior keys men...DG is always overlooked despite the brilliant hammond solo in drum folk. Which is best ever in terms of feel..IMHO

Edited by M27Barney - June 03 2020 at 09:29
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123