Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - The Who albums vs The Jimi Hendrix Experience albu
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Who albums vs The Jimi Hendrix Experience albu

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Poll Question: Which are yr favorite?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
34 [53.97%]
29 [46.03%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2020 at 01:31
Tommy I can take or leave beyond the odd track here and there - but either of Who's Next and Quadrophenia alone gives The Who my vote.
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
socrates17 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote socrates17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2020 at 17:48
If you'd have included the 1st 3 Who albums rather than the ones that you did, I would have voted for The Who over The Experience.  But the last Who album that I really love is Sell Out.
Intruder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Intruder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2020 at 20:31
Hendrix was a wicked talent but never was able to harness his energy into making a great rock album.....he was just getting interesting beyond the gimmicks and flash when he died.  Rainbow Bridge and Band of Gypsies are, to me, his most listenable albums - both made just before he passed.  
I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2020 at 23:56
^Each of his own, but I think three first Experience albums are all time greatest albums, as also Who´s Sell Out, Tommy & Quadrophenia. To me Hendrix was at first great composer and arranger.
AZF View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AZF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2020 at 05:24
Originally posted by Intruder Intruder wrote:

Hendrix was a wicked talent but never was able to harness his energy into making a great rock album.....he was just getting interesting beyond the gimmicks and flash when he died.  Rainbow Bridge and Band of Gypsies are, to me, his most listenable albums - both made just before he passed.  

You'll enjoy First Rays of the New Rising Sun. I really want to get the live box set of his Band of Gypsies shows. The second night he apparently plays his guitar clean.
Surprised there hasn't been a documentary about Mike Jeffrey breaking up both The Experience and Band of Gypsies. I feel they should have had an actual studio album. But live they were the peak Hendrix ticket. Many guitarists since play as well or even faster than Hendrix. But they just don't seem to have the heart or mindset of Jimi.
This poll is heartbreaking and first three Experience albums against the actual first three albums from The Who, Beatles,Pink Floyd or Genesis would be bloodshed!
Spacegod87 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spacegod87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2020 at 06:05
I listen to the Who far more than Hendrix. Not to say I don't like hendrix because I do, but The Who is more entertaining for me.
Levitating downwards,
atomic feedback scream.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2020 at 07:12
Originally posted by AZF AZF wrote:

Originally posted by Intruder Intruder wrote:

This poll is heartbreaking and first three Experience albums against the actual first three albums from The Who, Beatles,Pink Floyd or Genesis would be bloodshed!
I believe you´re right with the Beatles (haha) & the Who, but not so sure about Floyd´s & Genesis three first. There are fans of Piper, Saucerful & More, also second & third album of Genesis are in big favour of many. Hendrix really isn´t the big one here excluding few exceptions. As you can also read from the Intruder´s comment.
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uduwudu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2020 at 05:23
RUX = Sell Out. Electric Ladyland > Tommy. Axis > A Quick One.

I suppose if the Who classic were paired against the JH albums Alan Douglas immortalised ...

Quadrophenia and Who's Next smoke the rest... Although Cry Of Love fitted in just nicely thank you very much. And Rainbow Bridge..

Band of Gypsys vs Live At Leeds..? Not much tops Machine Gun... not even on that Who album...

Boboulo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boboulo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2020 at 05:42
Voted The Who.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2020 at 09:11
Originally posted by Squonk19 Squonk19 wrote:

Tommy I can take or leave beyond the odd track here and there - but either of Who's Next and Quadrophenia alone gives The Who my vote.

Hi,

TOMMY makes sense for the time it came up ... it might not be as valuable or as great today, but it did bring with it some songs that are remembered quite well ... the moment in the Woodstock film, being one of the great memorable seconds in that film.

Jimi is very valuable, and his interpretation of many pieces is excellent, but as a music "innovator", I would say that Jimi had more to give and show than THE WHO did ... and that's not to say that THE WHO were not a great band ... they were.

Tough poll, but Jimi gets my vote. It's hard to disagree with the guitar playing in things like Purple Haze, and All Along the Watchtower ... it's monstrous in their conception alone!

Edited by moshkito - September 20 2020 at 09:11
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2020 at 10:37
Seems some feel as I do about Tommy........when I was a teen that album just seemed so strange to me. Of course the movie was a chore to watch, still today. But the album is one of those if I don't play it ever, I'd be fine with it.

Jimi on the other hand......I spin everything by Jimi.
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2020 at 00:53
Both musicians have there place in the historical elements of changing how music was created and i like both but because of the sheer iconic three albums its the The Who 
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2020 at 09:39
The Who especially for Quadrophenia
"Happiness is real only when shared"
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2022 at 05:29
Hendrix
I've always listened to him more than The Who. 
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2022 at 08:21
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

I often thought considering the massive massive MASSIVE influence of Sly Stone on what came musically in the 70's.. I think that is the direction he would have moved in..  hell.. nearly everyone else did. 

Hi,

The only influence I will credit Sly and the Family Stone for is his helping me get my head bashed in Chicago, when his band did not show up and the fans got restless! It pretty much destroyed the whole idea/thing he did in Woodstock, as just a stoned infectious disease.

Sorry ... 

The poll itself, I think that Jimi was a much stronger influence all around. In many ways The Who became the "darlings" in the English media to make sure the Americans did not get better/top billing! But I do think that THE HOW had a lot of very nice things, and Tommy was something I enjoyed a lot, but later, and help me lead to the European progressive music scene that was far more interesting to listen to than just "hits" all around.

Edited by moshkito - January 17 2022 at 08:23
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Hiram View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2022 at 09:06
Hendrix by far. I've never cared for the Who and believe me I've tried. 
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2022 at 09:30
Everything about Jimi Hendrix excites me more than The Who - including his singing and songwriting skills. The Who is nice but I think Jimi belongs on another artistic level.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2022 at 11:03
Originally posted by Squonk19 Squonk19 wrote:

I can't remember what I've voted (see below)....
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Extremely difficult choice

the weaker albums are Tommy and Axis . The only two albums I still listen to are Ladyland and Quadrophenia.

but it's still very difficult
I prefer RUXp to Tommy, and I prefer Next to Axis. so it's tied or on par
So it's down to Quadro and LadylandLOL
I'm really tempted to say JHE, but I can't be sure what I voted back in autumn.

let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
Machinemessiah View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Machinemessiah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2022 at 16:03

^^ same here..  Clap

Not really much into The Who..

On the other hand, I'm a great Jimi fan, play guitar since long (even at one time in school with a couple guys we kind of covered his amazing rendition of 'Born Under a Bad Sign' from the Blues album for some activity).

Tons of love for Jimi around here; some friend introduced us back then (mid 90's) to Band of Gypsies and that also was a milestone.. it blew us away.

Another favorite is 'First Rays of the New Rising Sun'.

About the three mentioned, I like them all; recently with a bias toward Electric Ladyland. Then it would come the great Axis and then AYE, both of which I have on cd.

Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2022 at 16:14
It's like comparing the greatest street food you've ever had to a six-course gourmet meal.

Edited by Atavachron - February 04 2022 at 16:15
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123