Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - An Interview with Derek Shulman of Gentle Giant
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

An Interview with Derek Shulman of Gentle Giant

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dwill123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: An Interview with Derek Shulman of Gentle Giant
    Posted: June 19 2020 at 04:15
I apologize if this has been posted already, I did not see it.  This is a Youtube interview done about two weeks ago.  I thought fans of GG might enjoy hearing it.  It's not bad.

dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2020 at 04:45
Watched this around a week ago. Pete Pardo (Sea of Tranquility)  is far and away my favorite youtuber. I pretty much watch every video he posts, I love that he's clearly just a big music fan and rarely has anything too negative to say and when he does it's generally very fair and constructive.
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2020 at 05:09
Watched this last week as soon as it came up on my feed! Awesome interview. It's great to hear from Derek in 2020!

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2020 at 05:16
Also, lets not ignore the fact that Gentle Giant are briefly reuniting for the proclamation fan video they're working on! That makes up for all the terrible things that have happened in 2020 LOL
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2020 at 05:21
Sea of Tranquility is just awesome. I wish he would interview Roine Stolt one day. xD
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2020 at 13:34
Hi,

Nice ... I wish he had been able to talk about the albums a bit more ... but I'm OK with what came out. Sadly, that box is beyond me and nickels and dimes don't fall from heaven!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2020 at 15:51
Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

Also, lets not ignore the fact that Gentle Giant are briefly reuniting for the proclamation fan video they're working on! That makes up for all the terrible things that have happened in 2020 LOL

Yes, it's a semi reunion or a "virtual" reunion but it's extremely unlikely that it will lead to anything substantial(ie an album or a tour). 

Anyway, yes Peter Pardo does a great job. He's very knowledgable and very passionate about the music. I even knew him personally at one point(although I have since lost touch). I never met Derek but have met Gary Green on a few occasions. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2020 at 15:53
Originally posted by Hrychu Hrychu wrote:

Sea of Tranquility is just awesome. I wish he would interview Roine Stolt one day. xD

Peter doesn't do this full time. He has a job in business or communications or something that is totally unrelated to music. Music is his passion and his part time gig from home. 
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2020 at 07:33
Here's the reunion video

Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Gentle and Giant View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gentle and Giant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2020 at 08:15
^ Brilliant, thanks for that.
Oh, for the wings of any bird, other than a battery hen
dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwill123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2020 at 10:39
Excellent!!!  I'd like to start a collection to get them to do the rest of the album.
CarbonCassette View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CarbonCassette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2020 at 11:30
If only they'd reunite to record some new material! Also, that was a great interview. Going to have to check out Spirit.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2020 at 16:45
I think they’d still have it in them to craft another fine album for the ages.
Spectacular band.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2020 at 18:45
That video was really cool. I actually think that's one of their best songs. 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - July 17 2020 at 18:48
FatherChristmas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FatherChristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2020 at 05:30
Reminds me of The Gates of Delirium, in Yes's symphonic/jazz phase.
"Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence" - Robert Fripp
"I am an anti-Christ" - Johnny Rotten
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2020 at 06:15
Originally posted by FatherChristmas FatherChristmas wrote:

Reminds me of The Gates of Delirium, in Yes's symphonic/jazz phase.

Are you new to Gentle Giant? If so Octopus is a good one to start with.
FatherChristmas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FatherChristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2020 at 12:23
Thanks.Beer
"Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence" - Robert Fripp
"I am an anti-Christ" - Johnny Rotten
iluvmarillion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iluvmarillion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2020 at 23:00
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Originally posted by Hrychu Hrychu wrote:

Peter doesn't do this full time. He has a job in business or communications or something that is totally unrelated to music. Music is his passion and his part time gig from home. 

Gee he's good. He does an excellent job at interviewing and has a good overview of the music. 
 Post Reply Post Reply