Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

YES - Drama (1980)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2020 at 12:35
Yes/Trevor Horn concert (2004)

Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2020 at 17:31
I have a huge respect for Jon Anderson and his vision but Tormato was just dreadful... The Live 'Yesshows' lp was an ok end-stop for the classic line-up but I was very pleasantly surprised by Drama.. I thought it was a great, full of energy and new life.

Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2020 at 14:36
Originally posted by Cosmiclawnmower Cosmiclawnmower wrote:

I have a huge respect for Jon Anderson and his vision but Tormato was just dreadful... The Live 'Yesshows' lp was an ok end-stop for the classic line-up but I was very pleasantly surprised by Drama.. I thought it was a great, full of energy and new life.
I was pleasantly surprised by the Drama album too, especially considering it was a part-Buggles, part-Yes album. Smile
I have the "Tormato" album as part of a 5-CD Yes box set, so I'll give the album another listen to see if it really is a rotten "Tormato". Wink
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2020 at 02:31
Gave Drama a 4.5/5 in the album ratings thread. I bought it somewhere in the mid-80s so had not followed the "Buggles-controversy" (if you could call it that way). And I couldn't care less.

It is sometimes difficult to compare yes albums between them and this one especially is a "stand alone" one. Great album, without any weak point, which actually led me to buy the two Buggles albums (of which I particularly like Adventures in Modern Recording).

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2020 at 02:51
Originally posted by suitkees suitkees wrote:

Gave Drama a 4.5/5 in the album ratings thread. I bought it somewhere in the mid-80s so had not followed the "Buggles-controversy" (if you could call it that way). And I couldn't care less.

It is sometimes difficult to compare yes albums between them and this one especially is a "stand alone" one. Great album, without any weak point, which actually led me to buy the two Buggles albums (of which I particularly like Adventures in Modern Recording).

It Buggles me why a small minority of unkind British audiences booed Trevor Horn at his concert performances, because I think he did a sterling job of stepping into Jon Anderson's pixie boots. Smile
iluvmarillion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote iluvmarillion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2020 at 23:49

With due respect to Rick Wakeman who's a genius, I feel he's the one who dumped on the band. Jon Anderson had some folksy love songs and one on ecology which Squire, Howe and White could have adapted, but Wakeman was only interested in another Wondrous Stories and like songs, so Tormato was never going to take off.   
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2020 at 01:02
Tormato is far from dreadful.
Future Times, Release Release , Arriving UFO , Onward and On The Silent Wings Of Freedom are all great tracks. The main problems were a few dud tracks , a general lack of flow and a terrible album cover (although they at least avoided the ELP Love Beach debacle) . It would be plain silly though for any prog fans to dismiss it entirely.
Drama was certainly better though because it had an overall vision as the band were pulling together and no real dud tracks.
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2020 at 03:38
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Future Times, Release Release , Arriving UFO , Onward and On The Silent Wings Of Freedom are all great tracks. The main problems were a few dud tracks , a general lack of flow and a terrible album cover (although they at least avoided the ELP Love Beach debacle) . It would be plain silly though for any prog fans to dismiss it entirely.
Drama was certainly better though because it had an overall vision as the band were pulling together and no real dud tracks.

I completely agree with you on this! Except that I also like the cover (maybe because I have been in the Dartmoor...).

chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2020 at 03:43

I agree, Tormato is not as bad as some people make out (but then I feel the same about Big Generator as well). I don't play it as much as the biggies but it gets a regular outing - Release Release is a favourite of mine.
I couldn't really decide between Tormato and Drama.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2020 at 03:47
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

It Buggles me why a small minority of unkind British audiences booed Trevor Horn at his concert performances, because I think he did a sterling job of stepping into Jon Anderson's pixie boots. Smile
I saw him singing with Yes at Hammy Odeon back then. To be honest I don't remember any booing but that might just be my memory, however he definitely struggled with some of the higher notes. To be fair, most people would.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2020 at 04:28

Ok, on reflection using the word 'dreadful' was bound to upset some people and of course its a purely personal view. There are some tracks which do stand out and would, if recorded in different circumstances, come across much better than they do. The atmosphere and politics around this lp are well documented and for me that really permeates the whole album. I think they were trying to record a much more 'intimate' sounding album where they all sounded physically closer in the room together, less vast and spaced apart sounding as on Going for the one and for a bunch of people who rather be anywhere but in the same room with each other it really saturates it for me. Plus Rick Wakemans Keyboards (new digital synths?) sound a bit weird and unpleasant to my ears. And that cover... I live fairly close to Dartmoor and know the Tors fairly well.. lets ferry them all up in their satin tour jackets and shades so they can all look fed up and bored in different directions.. and then splatt a Tomato over it...

I am very fond of Yes (sometimes for reasons I cant quite fathom) but they are not at the top of my favourites list so perhaps I don't give some of their lps the attention that I should. I don't consider myself 'Silly' for this and apologies if I offended anyone. I also really like Big Generator (more than 90125 which I also like) and 'The Ladder' so draw from that what you willWinkSmile

suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2020 at 04:53

...lets ferry them all up in their satin tour jackets and shades so they can all look fed up and bored in different directions.. and then splatt a Tomato over it...

You see ! They had brilliant ideas at Hipgnosis (they probably didn't like the music...). Strange thing is: only Rick seems to be really enjoying himself on that back cover...

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2020 at 05:21

...lets ferry them all up in their satin tour jackets and shades so they can all look fed up and bored in different directions.. and then splatt a Tomato over it...

You see ! They had brilliant ideas at Hipgnosis (they probably didn't like the music...). Strange thing is: only Rick seems to be really enjoying himself on that back cover...

Ah.. he'd probably had a few Shandys on routeWink And Rick lived for quite a while in Devon so genuinely liked being there. Steve Howe lives in North Devon so I believe.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2023 at 14:49
YES - The Story of Drama

Steve Wyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Steve Wyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2023 at 13:21
The only Yes albums better than Drama are Close to the Edge, Going for the One, and 90125.
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2023 at 13:52
^I would add three more: The Yes Album, Fragile and Relayer. Drama is in the range 3-3.5/5 in my book. Most songs are quite hit and miss. Does It Really Happen? and Tempus Fugit are the best tracks off this album, methinks.

But... it is obviously better than its predecessor.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12