Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

YES - 90125 (1983)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote grantman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2020 at 11:24
hearts love the drums in that song.
grantman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote grantman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2020 at 11:26
love the drums on it can happen and sitar sound on that song
grantman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote grantman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2020 at 11:28
anderson vocals are wonderful on changes .
grantman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote grantman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2020 at 11:31
tony kaye keys on our song are wild.
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2024 at 02:17
YES - 90125  Live in Dortmund, Germany 1984

Boojieboy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Boojieboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2024 at 17:43
I especially like the chorus to "It Can Happen". Kind of a empowered marching sort of beat. I visualize the band with their instruments unplugged and walking forward together in formation on some road while singing. Trickier for drums, but maybe a drum platform that moves! LOL
Valdez1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Valdez1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2024 at 16:56
It definitely brought YES to the Great unwashed masses.  Some certifiable "Hits" for good reason.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2024 at 19:44
I'm one of those rare weirdos who first got into prog in the 80s. As such this was the first Yes album I bought. My dad had The Yes Album and I heard that first but 90125 was the first I really got into which might have had something to do with the fact that it was sort of arena rock sounding and I was already into stuff like Journey, Styx and Foreigner. Many years later I probably don't think of as highly of it as I used to but it's still a very good album with what it tries to be and I have to give it credit for helping me get into the band Yes. If it wasn't for this release I probably would still think of Yes as just another weird band from my dad's record collection (I think TYA is the only one he had that could be considered prog). 
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2024 at 19:46
Originally posted by Valdez1 Valdez1 wrote:

It definitely brought YES to the Great unwashed masses.  Some certifiable "Hits" for good reason.

Yeah, briefly it did. Today it seems like most hardcore Yes fans are those who first got into them in the 70s though. Those who heard this at the time probably got scared when they heard their earlier material. LOL
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2024 at 23:20
^ quite honestly I have never understood this view of Yes. I've seen similar views ventured about the Emerson, Lake and Powell album that was also painful to my ears while 90125 is very souless and lacking any real 'feel' IMO. As soon as I heard Fragile (in the 80's because I was also late to the party) I was sold. The problem was that a lot of musicians bought into the idea that the 70's was a dead duck and the 80's was the decade that was going to put everything right. It took a while before the overproduced and under creative nature of that decade was left in the rear view mirror. 
Caveat- I am reasoning from a prog perspective. I get that there were excellent artists like Kate Bush, Peter Gabriel and Talk Talk around at that time but many of the most vaunted prog musicians struggled to do anything meaningful.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2024 at 02:19
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Yeah, briefly it did. Today it seems like most hardcore Yes fans are those who first got into them in the 70s though. Those who heard this at the time probably got scared when they heard their earlier material. LOL
90125 was the first YES album I ever bought back in 1983, and other than the Classic YES compilation, I didn't buy another YES album for nearly thirty years. Ironically, it was the Relayer album that scared me away from YES in the 1970's, but I love it now. Embarrassed
Valdez1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Valdez1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2024 at 11:01
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

90125 was the first YES album I ever bought back in 1983, and other than the Classic YES compilation, I didn't buy another YES album for nearly thirty years. Ironically, it was the Relayer album that scared me away from YES in the 1970's, but I love it now. Embarrassed

AaaaH RELAYER.... My personal favorite. 
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2024 at 11:15

Ironically, it was the Relayer album that scared me away from YES in the 1970's, but I love it now. Embarrassed

Going for the One didn't reel you back in?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2024 at 11:58
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Ironically, it was the Relayer album that scared me away from YES in the 1970's, but I love it now. Embarrassed

Going for the One didn't reel you back in?

It did, Yes, but only about 35 years later after hearing Going for the One for the first time on the Internet around 2012. Embarrassed
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234