Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Return to Fantasy

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Return to Fantasy
    Posted: July 28 2020 at 01:03
FANTASY: an English band from Gravesend in Kent. I've been returning to the fantastic music of Fantasy recently, a perennial Symphonic Prog favourite of mine, ever since I discovered them on ProgArchives several years ago. Fantasy only released one studio album during their brief lunchtime in the spotlight: the superb PAINT A PICTURE (1973), but there were also two equally good archival releases, BEYOND THE BEYOND (1974) and VIVARIATUM (1994). The dramatic music of Fantasy features beautiful symphonic soundscapes of ethereal Mellotron magic, which are so uplifting and inspirational to listen to that their albums could almost belong in the religious section of a record store. Smile

My apologies if I misled anyone into thinking this thread was going to be a Uriah Heep album tribute. Wink

Paint a Picture (1973)

Beyond the Beyond (1974)

Vivariatum (1994)

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - August 19 2020 at 12:19
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2020 at 06:05
There was also an American Prog-Rock band going by the same name of Fantasy who released this self-titled album in 1970.....

dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2020 at 12:44
Love the Brit band.....have both on cd....Alanderie from Beyond is a killer track.

Smile

Edited by dr wu23 - July 28 2020 at 12:44
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2020 at 12:47
mediocre IMO, but mostly harmless Tongue
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2020 at 13:28
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Love the Brit band.....have both on cd....Alanderie from Beyond is a killer track.

Smile
It seemed like the ideal time for a Return to Fantasy, while all three of their superb albums are still available on YouTube. I wanted to go Beyond the Beyond of Yes and Genesis and Paint a Picture of what a fantastic band Fantasy are. After all, they're one of the lesser-known bands here in the progosphere, and they completely passed me during the proggy 1970's years, just like many other long-lost album treasures of the era, which I've since re-discovered on PA. You could say that ProgArchives is a "Vivariatum" - a natural habitat for prog lovers. Smile

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - July 28 2020 at 14:56
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2020 at 19:58
I thought this was going to be about the Uriah Heep album. :P ANyway, I have heard of this band. They are apparently somewhat similar to the Moody Blues. I'll have to check them out at some point.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2020 at 23:30
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

I thought this was going to be about the Uriah Heep album. :P ANyway, I have heard of this band. They are apparently somewhat similar to the Moody Blues. I'll have to check them out at some point.
Maybe I WILL do a Ken Hensley & Uriah Heep tribute thread at some point in the not too distant future, just as soon as I've written the album titles intro. Smile
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2020 at 01:12
I also thought this would be an Uriah Heep thread LOL

Decent ok band, I listened to the first two albums.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2020 at 01:39
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

I will have a Ken Hensley & Uriah Heep tribute thread coming soon, although it won't be titled "Return to Fantasy". It'll be titled "Ken Hensley & Uriah Heep" because I wouldn't want to mislead anyone. Wink

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - July 31 2020 at 01:40
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2020 at 01:46
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

I will have a Ken Hensley & Uriah Heep tribute thread coming soon, although it won't be titled "Return to Fantasy". It'll be titled "Ken Hensley & Uriah Heep" because I wouldn't want to mislead anyone. Wink

just name it Uriah Heep, Ken left the band in the early 80s.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2020 at 02:04

I'm planning to feature Ken's solo albums too, hence the title, "Ken Hensley & Uriah Heep". Ken Hensley will ALWAYS be the sound of Uriah Heep to me though, even though he left his band in the 1980's. Smile
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2020 at 02:07

I'm planning to feature Ken's solo albums too, hence the title, "Ken Hensley & Uriah Heep". Ken Hensley will ALWAYS be the sound of Uriah Heep to me though, even though he left his band in the 1980's. Smile

Uriah Heep made a lot of music without Hensley. So you will leave those albums out... Confused
How many Heep albums have you listened to? 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2020 at 02:18

Uriah Heep made a lot of music without Hensley. So you will leave those albums out... Confused
Yes, that's absolutely right. I'm only planning to feature the classic Uriah Heep albums with Ken Hensley in my tribute thread, and you'll be happy to hear that I have ALL of Ken Hensley's Uriah Heep albums on CD. Smile
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2020 at 02:27

Yes, that's absolutely right. I'm only planning to feature the classic Uriah Heep albums with Ken Hensley in my tribute thread, and you'll be happy to hear that I have ALL of Ken Hensley's Uriah Heep albums on CD. Smile

everything Heep did starting 2008 is just as good as classic 70s Heep if you ask me, so if you haven't listened to those albums, you are missing out. Big smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2020 at 02:33
^ Thanks, although I can't see how the modern Uriah Heep could possibly match the glory of the classic David Byron and Ken Hensley years. Smile

This thread is already looking like a Ken Hensley & Uriah Heep tribute thread. Tongue

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - July 31 2020 at 02:35
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2020 at 02:35

^ Thanks, although I can't see how the modern Uriah Heep could possibly match the glory of the classic David Byron and Ken Hensley years. Smile

give those albums a chance and decide for yourself. 
Later day Heep (and Purple) is great quality music if you ask me. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2020 at 02:39

It's just a question of finding the time to listen to them all. I still have all of the more recent albums by Yes to listen to first, as well as a hundred or more other bands. Smile
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2020 at 02:49

It's just a question of finding the time to listen to them all. I still have all of the more recent albums by Yes to listen to first, as well as a hundred or more other bands. Smile

you always dismiss any music I suggest to you, so I don't know why I naively suggest more. Ermm
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2020 at 02:58
^ I wasn't dismissing your suggestions at all. I was just saying it's all a matter of finding the time to listen to everything. Smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2021 at 06:22

I've now given those more recent albums a chance by listening to the entire discography of both Deep Purple and Uriah Heep, and I STILL believe that their early albums are by far the best in both cases. Thumbs Up
 Post Reply Post Reply