Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Would Lyric Appreciation YT channel interest ppl?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Would Lyric Appreciation YT channel interest ppl?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N-sz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Would Lyric Appreciation YT channel interest ppl?
    Posted: July 30 2020 at 12:30
EDIT: The first video is ready! Hope people enjoy!

I've had an idea in the back of my mind for some time, to make a YT channel of videos where I research and analyze and give extended appreciation of song lyrics. I plan to do a variety of genres, but prog rock is one of my favorites. I feel like that might interest people, but something turned up that made me want to ask for feedback:

The first one I'm trying out is Starship Trooper, which has been really fun. At first it seemed very obscure, but between some of Jon Anderson's comments and patient reflection, there turned out to be a ton to say about it. Like a lot. However, I didn't realize until I wrote up the script, edited it and recorded it (even trimmed it up) that all my thoughts together added up to 51 minutes! Now, I suppose I could just do a summary of it, but I found that everything that made it interesting required elaboration. Although I do go on tangents, they're always for a purpose and reconnect to the point of why one line or verse connects to the next. 

So if I do this then, I figure I should brand it more as a podcast of lyric appreciation rather than videos of lyric interpretation, rather than a video where people can expect a concise answer to "What is the meaning of X song lyrics?" Maybe some people would want "just the facts" (just the research on Jon's comments), so I did a section focused on that before getting to my comments. But would any of you enjoy listening to such an extended commentary, more for the joy of appreciation and chewing on it rather than getting straight to the point? I'm not so much asking whether or not you thin you will listen to it, but just wondering whether that seems like the kind of thing people would enjoy. And if so, any suggestions on how I might better go about these podcasts/videos would be appreciated. Thanks!

Edited by N-sz - August 02 2020 at 20:05
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2020 at 13:15
YES YES YES! I love this kind of stuff. It would definitely help me get better at writing lyrics.
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2020 at 14:12
Some may enjoy it, but deciphering lyrics is a gamble. Only the one who wrote them knows the true meaning.

You asked for suggestions - keep it interesting, concise, have a sense of humor, and be real. Good luck.
Sacro_Porgo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sacro_Porgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2020 at 14:48
I think that's a great idea! Post it here and I'll subscribe!
Porg for short. My love of music doesn't end with prog! Feel free to discuss all sorts of music with me. Odds are I'll give it a chance if I haven't already! :)
N-sz View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N-sz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2020 at 15:29
Hey, glad to see that sounds interesting! I guess for now I'll just post a link to the channel (with no content yet) if you want to subscribe:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8J6mQrvtnigB61ASbEU2ew

And then when my first video's ready I'll post it up here.

And thanks for your feedback! 
You're right, Grumpyprogfan, we won't be able to offer an objective interpretation, especially not with Jon Anderson's lyrics. I come from a rather different worldview from Jon, but I also think that's part of the fun. I've got some good quotes from him about the song, but aside from that I'm sure to mention it is only my subjective take. And I'm hoping in the comments others will share their takes. Hopefully I'll have kept it interesting, fun and real... and hopefully having some real content there will justify my lack of conciseness lol.
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2020 at 16:52
You should analyze some of Roine Stolt's lyrics and the recurring themes in them. That'd be fun.
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2020 at 00:21
Yes! Something slightly different than the usual is always welcome! I have a soft spot for lyrics, always.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
N-sz View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote N-sz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2020 at 11:46
Here it is! Hope people like it--I really can't tell. Thanks for giving it a try!

Edited by N-sz - August 02 2020 at 20:08
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2020 at 19:37
Hi,

I am not sure that Roy Harper will ever be listed ... one of the best of all lyricists ever ... 

Heck ... poetry ... Mike Heron and Robin Williamson were doing pure poetry in motion on record and stage, and even did it in Woodstock to a sleeping crowd, that were probably too tired to wake up ... 

Progressive folks, specially here, do not take a lot of these things seriously and go around calling many other poets and poetesses that have helped many rock folks along the way ... to make their words better and clearer ... AND, btw ... the very best is beyond description ... because no one will agree on anything! 

NP: Edgar Broughton Band ... Rocococooler ... try that one sometime for lyrics, and think that this band did not know what they were doing!

Edited by moshkito - August 02 2020 at 19:38
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2020 at 02:24
May I request Tale a Pebble? Enjoyed the vid.
N-sz View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N-sz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2020 at 07:52
^ Thanks for listening! Sure, I'll take recommendations into account, though there's a lot of songs I plan to get to. That's a good song which I haven't looked at closely for the lyrics before.

And someone mentioned Roy Harper--interesting, thanks for that. I remember there was a Led Zeppelin song named after him but I didn't know who he was.

And then someone mentioned Flower Kings. I've heard they're great, so maybe I'll have to finally give them a try.

Some of the ones in my immediate plans are Genesis, Seven Stones, and some Bjork songs.
 Post Reply Post Reply