Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My "Go To" CDs

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote beholdtheman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My "Go To" CDs
    Posted: August 07 2020 at 20:43

So there will be some times, when I'm trying to find new music to like. And I may listen to several new tunes, but find nothing that I really like. If that happens for too long, then I start feeling "listening fatigue". At this point, I'll stop listening to anything new. And then I'll listen to something that I know I'm going to like. For me, those CDs make the following list..... In no particular order. What are your "Go To" CDs, when you're suffering from "Listening Fatigue"?

Reversion...............Hurt

Al Di Meola.............Kiss My Axe

Chick Corea............The Ultimate Adventure

Planet X..................Moonbabies

Alex Machacek-Matthew Garrison-Jeff Sipe...........Improvision

Porcupine Tree........In Absentia

Opeth......................Damnation

Andromeda..............II = I

Beyond Twilight.......Section X

Symphony X............V-The New Mythology Suite & The Odyssey

David Torn...............Cloud About Mercury

Robert Rich & Steve Roach............SoMa

Frank Zappa.............Apostrophe (')

The Who...................Quadrophenia

Spiral Architect..........A Sceptic's Universe

Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2020 at 00:29
AWESOME list, OP! Symphony X has been a favorite of mine for decades; I can never find other people that give them a chance (especially over Dream Theater)!

My Go-To:

Captain Beefheart - Trout Mask Replica
Yes - Close to The Edge
Gorguts - The Erosion of Sanity / Obscura
Gentle Giant - In A Glass House
King Crimson - Larks' Tongues in Aspic
Death - Individual Thought Patterns
Return to Forever - Romantic Warrior
Pestilence - Spheres
U.K. - S/T
Frank Zappa - One Size Fits All
Van Der Graaf Generator - Godbluff/Pawn Hearts/H to HE
Symphony X - The Divine Wings of Tragedy/The Odyssey

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2020 at 01:03
Anything by Santana, which I'm listening to right now. Smile
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2020 at 03:27
Any seventies Genesis or Big Big Train from the Underfall Yard onwards. It's probably more to do with laziness rather than fatigue though!
beholdtheman View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beholdtheman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2020 at 04:47

Hey Frenetic Zetetic

I know what you mean. I like Dream Theater, but LaBrie can often ruin the songs for me. I tend to think of him, as a pop singer stuck with a metal band. I would like to see what Charlie Dominici could have done, if he had continued to be their vocalist. I like what Charlie did later with his Trilogy series, for example the song "Enemies Of God". And between LaBrie and Russell Allen, I just have a much stronger liking for Allen. I think all the members of Symphony X reach a very high musical standard, and Russell's vocals fit into this beautifully. His vocal ability is a really good match to the rest of the band.

By the way. You opened your post with something I don't recognize..... "OP"; can you tell me what that means. I sometimes don't understand some of these texting shortcuts.

You mentioned some other things, that also work well for me. Which are...

Yes - Close To The Edge

Return To Forever - Romantic Warrior

Van Der Graaf Generator - Pawn Hearts

And you reminded me of some other things, that I need to revisit. That I haven't listened to for awhile. Which are...

Gentle Giant..........Free Hand & Interview

Van Der Graaf Generator - Godbluff & H To He

Symphony X - The Divine Wings Of Tragedy

I've gone for too long, without listening very often. And recently got laid off from work, for the virus season. So I've been making more time to just listen.

By the way, based on your list, I can recommend a couple things you may like. Both in the Metal category. I think Ecstatic Trance can be found on Bandcamp.

Dimension X - Implications Of A Genetic Defense

A Life Once Lost - Ecstatic Trance

Was good to see your list, and be reminded of some other things I should also be hearing again.

Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2020 at 05:05
Originally posted by beholdtheman beholdtheman wrote:

Hey Frenetic Zetetic

I know what you mean. I like Dream Theater, but LaBrie can often ruin the songs for me. I tend to think of him, as a pop singer stuck with a metal band. I would like to see what Charlie Dominici could have done, if he had continued to be their vocalist. I like what Charlie did later with his Trilogy series, for example the song "Enemies Of God". And between LaBrie and Russell Allen, I just have a much stronger liking for Allen. I think all the members of Symphony X reach a very high musical standard, and Russell's vocals fit into this beautifully. His vocal ability is a really good match to the rest of the band.

By the way. You opened your post with something I don't recognize..... "OP"; can you tell me what that means. I sometimes don't understand some of these texting shortcuts.

You mentioned some other things, that also work well for me. Which are...

Yes - Close To The Edge

Return To Forever - Romantic Warrior

Van Der Graaf Generator - Pawn Hearts

And you reminded me of some other things, that I need to revisit. That I haven't listened to for awhile. Which are...

Gentle Giant..........Free Hand & Interview

Van Der Graaf Generator - Godbluff & H To He

Symphony X - The Divine Wings Of Tragedy

I've gone for too long, without listening very often. And recently got laid off from work, for the virus season. So I've been making more time to just listen.

By the way, based on your list, I can recommend a couple things you may like. Both in the Metal category. I think Ecstatic Trance can be found on Bandcamp.

Dimension X - Implications Of A Genetic Defense

A Life Once Lost - Ecstatic Trance

Was good to see your list, and be reminded of some other things I should also be hearing again.

OP = Original Poster!

Agreed completely on DT/SX vocals. 

GG TPATG is another favorite.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2020 at 05:37
Great topic and there are so many to list, I'm sure I'll forget some. BTW "OP" = Original Post

In no order

National Health - Complete
The Aristocrats - Culture Clash
Jethro Tull - Thick as a Brick
Thank You Scientist - Maps of Non-Existent Places
Hiromi - Spark
Allan Holdsworth - I.O.U.
Steely Dan - Aja
Lee Morgan - The Sidewinder
Mike Keneally - Sluggo!
The Bears - The Bears
Kansas - Leftoverture
Marco Minnemann - Broken Orange
Rush - 2112
Spock's Beard - V
Pat Metheny - The Road to You
Freak Kitchen - Cooking with Pagans
Chick Corea Elektric Band - Beneath the Mask
Bill Bruford - One of a Kind
Todd Rundgren - Hermit of Mink Hollow
Gentle Giant - Freehand
Sanguine Hum - Now we Have Light
Haken - Visions
Bubblemath - Edit Peptide
Zappa - One Size Fits All
Dream Theater - Scenes from a Memory
Izz - Don't Panic
Echolyn - The End Is Beautiful
Jellyfish - Bellybutton
Thieves' Kitchen - The Clockwork Universe
King Crimson - Red
Frost* - Milliontown
Big Big Train - English Electric Part I

And tons of jazz... Woody Shaw, McCoy Tyner, Joe Henderson, Wynton Marsalis, Art Blakey, Jackie McLean, Miles, Parker, etc.

Edited by Grumpyprogfan - August 08 2020 at 05:41
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2020 at 07:09
Hi,

I have many ... go back to ... things ... and the two that take the cake the most are TANGERINE DREAM and AMON DUUL 2.

There are several other things that are for different situations ... but I'm not sure that they are something that most folks like to check ... for example ... Peter Hammill, I always find myself in THE SILENT CORNER AND EMPTY STAGE ... or the album SKIN ... that most people don't seem to like, because something else is always better. I disagree. 

After this, one album that I can not get enough of, is an album that most don't like, and they think it is not a clear one ... EARTH SPAN by The Incredible String Band ... the musicality in that thing is so far out and out of town, that "progressive" is just a meaningless word by the time you hear it! Both vocally and musically ... it is an incredible album.

There are a couple of others ... I always seem to find my way to HEADQUARTERS by Roy Harper even if it is to get my ear wax removed by that one monster piece of music (Playing the Game Pts 1-5), and several things from JUGULA +4 ... whereas most folks seem to like STORMCOCK way better. 

After that ... car radio tripping!

GURU GURU - Dance of the Flames
Grobbschnit - Solar Music Live (specially the remastered one)
Kayak - See See The Sun
Focus - Hamburger Concerto
Ange - Au Dela Du Delire
Jefferson Airplane - A mix that I put together that featured ... Have you seen the saucers? ... Ride the Tiger ... and a lot of their mid period and solo albums from Kantner/Slick.
The Doors - A mix of all the long cuts.
Frank Zappa - A mix of selected pieces.
Ozric Tentacles - From Pungent Effulgent the next 5 albums or so.
Djam Karet - the first 5 or 6 albums ... but these are NOT for the drive ... these are for later at night with a bonfire at the lake with wonderful weather and a glass of wine maybe ... and just phase out properly.
Ash Ra Tempel - A lot of the early stuff.
PFM - The first 5 albums
Banco - The first 5 or 6 albums
Carmen - All three albums

In all honesty, some of the "better" known bands, do not feature in my lists a whole lot ... they just did not seem to be as important to me as a lot of European stuff. 

Edited by moshkito - August 08 2020 at 07:13
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2020 at 13:59
Sometimes I just put on one of those posthumous Zappa releases that has one whole concert. They're all on Spotify, WOOPEE! There's also plenty of bootleg concerts on YouTube.
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2020 at 10:56
Some of my go-to albums in times of listener fatigue, indecisiveness, and/or stress:

Michael Hoenig | Departure from the Northern Wasteland
Anything by Can
Camel | Breathless, House, or Nude
The Faust Tapes
Zappa | 200 Motels
McDonald & Giles | s/t
Franco Battiato | Clic
Djam Karet | Suspension & Displacement

Edited by HolyMoly - August 16 2020 at 10:57
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2020 at 12:31
The ones I can think of now:
- Wish you were Here from Pink Floyd.
- Animals from Pink Floyd.
- The Division Bell, from Pink Floyd.
- Live at Pompeii, from Pink Floyd.
- Fragile, from Yes.
- Close to the Edge, from Yes.
- Six Wives of Henry the VIII, from Rick Wakeman.
- Myths and Legends of King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table, from Rick Wakeman.
- Out There, from Rick Wakeman.
- Tubular Bells, from Mike Oldfield.
- Ommadawn, from Mike Oldfield.
- Hamburger Concerto, from Focus.
And well, there must be several others that can come up to me at cerain points.
 Post Reply Post Reply