Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

I want to like Hawkwind, but

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2020 at 23:20
Over the weekend I played astounding sounds amazing music. It's a good album with a few stand out moments. I need to hear more of their stuff though.
Ghost Whistler View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ghost Whistler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2020 at 11:13
Yeah, I don't think Hawkwind are for me. I like some of their stuff, but it's ultimately not satisfying. Like prog rock junk food :D

Could do with some new stuff to listen to
flyingveepixie View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyingveepixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2020 at 11:51
Originally posted by Ghost Whistler Ghost Whistler wrote:

I was listening to Astounding Sounds, Amazing Music album and there were two really standout instrumentals.

Hawkwind are a band I struggle with. The listener doesn't want for content, but so much of it is, tbf, pretty disposable. Levitation I really like, but it seems an outlier in terms of quality.

I would love to find more music like those two instrumentals: City of Lagoon, and, Chronoglide Skyway.

If Hawkwind can't cut it, who can?

As someone else already said : if you don't like something there's no need to feel guilty about it.  Personally I tried very hard to like Porcupine Tree, and Steven Wilson after that, but after much perseverance and deliberation I think both the guy and his band are just an over rated bunch of complete crap and a total fraud.  I don't feel guilty about the fact that many will undoubtedly disagree with me on that.  It's all just down to personal taste you see..  One mans bunch of ear aching crap is another mans aural delight.

I very much like 1970s Hawkwind myself but yes, they do have a lot of filler material.  I like them for the high points - like Sonic Attack on Space Ritual for example - truly soaring moments which are so often offset by the poor filler material which tends to plague most of their albums and is very much throwaway material.  Warrior on the edge of time is the best Hawkwind album IMHO but all their early albums up to and including Warrior are great if you like the psychadelic 70s kind of thing..   Just bypass the filler tracks and you might eventually come to appreciate them, but don't feel guilty if you never do !.

Edited by flyingveepixie - August 18 2020 at 11:57
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2020 at 12:50
Wow, I never heard Steven Wilson called a fraud before. LOL I don't see how he's ripping anyone off or doing anything disingenuous so yeah I have to disagree with that. As for his band I'm not sure what band you are referring to. Porcupine Tree hasn't been active in ten years. ;) They are officially done. Something that I'm sure you won't lose any sleep over. LOL

As for Hawkwind I like most of what I have heard but am far from an expert. I typically just like a spacey sound sometimes so they scratch that itch when I need it. 

Originally posted by Ghost Whistler Ghost Whistler wrote:

Yeah, I don't think Hawkwind are for me. I like some of their stuff, but it's ultimately not satisfying. Like prog rock junk food :D

Could do with some new stuff to listen to

For something else to look into I recommend Ozric Tentacles. There is a Hawkwind influence but they are much closer to being virtuosos and are more musical. They are basically pure instrumental though so no vocals except for maybe a tiny bit here and there on their earlier stuff. Also, you might want to check out Eloy or Gong. 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - August 18 2020 at 12:57
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2020 at 14:32
Hawkwind are definitely an acquired taste; back years ago mates of mine who were into Gong and Hillage, Henry cow and Hatfields didn't like Hawkwind because it was just too loud and noisy for them.. and I get that.. but like the Grateful Dead (who really have nothing in common music wise) or Van Der Graaf Generator for that matter they could be brilliant live or truly awful.. but somehow it was when that spark ignited, it just flared up.. 

The Ozrics follow a more Gong like ethic where there's a lot more depth and intricacy to whats going on musically but that's not to put Hawkwind down in any way.. as Gene Simmons (of Kiss) said about Rush.. 'What kind of music is Rush?.. Its 'Rush'!!' the same applies to Hawkwind, they are just what they are and they do what they do and if you dig it, great and if not, no worries!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12