Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Anderson Bruford Wakeman Howe (1989)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2020 at 05:22
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

I don’t know why I like Heaven and Earth as much as I do - maybe it’s the beautiful Dean artwork, maybe the Turquoise vinyl it’s pressed on, or Geoff Downes’ keyboards ?? Perhaps it is a light change of pace from what we all expect from Yes.

I was very impressed with Jon Davison on the Heaven & Earth album too, especially considering I'd never heard of him before. Smile
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2020 at 05:27
^ You need to listen to his tenure in Glass Hammer. What Yes should be more like.
Ghost Whistler View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ghost Whistler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2020 at 07:15
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Originally posted by Argo2112 Argo2112 wrote:

Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

I'm hearing the ABWH album for the very first time today and it was an instant hit with me, despite lacking the distinctive sound of Chris Squire's thunderous bass lines. Smile

Really? Interesting. I got the album when it was new, and it was pretty exciting at the time. I still like it a lot. It's good "B+" album. The concert was outstanding! They opened with solos in lieu of group, and I got to experience Rick Wakeman's keyboard wizardry "live without a net" for the first time ever. 

The night I saw them, Tony Levin was ill. Jeff Berlin stood in!

Me too, If your in Southern California we may have been at the same show. 
 It was either Pacific Amphitheater or Irving Meadows, I can't remember.

Greek Theatre! You were there, too, right? The show opened suddenly with Jon singing on the floor (surrounded by security, of course) as he walked toward the stage.
Singing OWNER OF A LONELY HEART! It's on Youtube
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2024 at 05:23
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

I think it's a solid album. 3.5 stars.

The DVD - Anderson Bruford Wakeman Howe An Evening of Yes Music Plus, if you can find it, is superb. Something all Yes fans should own.

Finally, over four years later.....

ABWH - An Evening of YES Music Plus

Octopus II View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Octopus II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2024 at 06:08
A very decent album, I was at the gig at Whitley Bay Ice Rink (near Newcastle) in October 89 when they toured. Smile
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2024 at 11:31
ABW&H and The Big Generator are my fifth and sixth favorite YES albums.  These are the two YES albums that my husband and I bond over.  We listen to these two albums several times a year...often back-to-back.  We played ABW&H's Quartet at our Wedding Reception. We danced. It's our song. Wink

Wakeman's keyboards on ABW&H may be my favorite EVER!  Incredibly majestic.  Bruford's drumming leaves me slack-jawed. Howe is on fire.  The melodies throughout are incredible. You go...Jon!

And YES...I love Teakbois. This summer you couldn't get it...some of you get it.

Get it? got it...good.Clap 

Edited by omphaloskepsis - January 20 2024 at 11:49
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2024 at 11:15
I don't really enjoy the album, but next to Big Generator its luminant. And like Union, the concert was fantastic compared to the album. Especially Wakeman's solo. 
mellotronwave View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mellotronwave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2024 at 15:35
A more than decent album issued during the" dark ages of prog rock"... don't forget it
Much better than subsequent Yes's production during the 1990ies

Edited by mellotronwave - January 22 2024 at 15:36
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2024 at 16:13
I personally could never get why people were saying that the ABWH album sounded like Yes. In my opinion it had absolutely no sonic connection to the Yes sound. It sounded more like an arena synth pop kinda album to my ear. And evern for '89 there were formations that did the prog thing better like Pazzo Fanfano Di Musica for instance.
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
mellotronwave View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mellotronwave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2024 at 17:47
Originally posted by Hrychu Hrychu wrote:

I personally could never get why people were saying that the ABWH album sounded like Yes. In my opinion it had absolutely no sonic connection to the Yes sound. It sounded more like an arena synth pop kinda album to my ear. And evern for '89 there were formations that did the prog thing better like Pazzo Fanfano Di Musica for instance.

an arena synth pop
Jaketejas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jaketejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2024 at 17:49
If you need a law firm, you could do worse than ABWH.
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2024 at 17:59
^

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2024 at 21:54
^ the last ever episode. Loved that show back in the day and still laugh at the early morning repeats on CH4 in the UK. BTW I totally misremembered that scene thinking it was Shelley Long's character that delivered the line not Kirstie Alley. Embarrassed
Jaketejas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaketejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2024 at 22:04
^ Perfect!
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2024 at 00:08
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

^ the last ever episode. Loved that show back in the day and still laugh at the early morning repeats on CH4 in the UK. BTW I totally misremembered that scene thinking it was Shelley Long's character that delivered the line not Kirstie Alley. Embarrassed

Ha! When I was searching for it I was sure it was Sam that said it. This is why you never open a 30 year-old cold case strictly on eyewitness accounts.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234