4 [40.00%]
2 [20.00%]
1 [10.00%]
3 [30.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Interesting Instrumentals
    Posted: August 22 2020 at 08:28
Give em a listen and leave some feedback.

Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2020 at 17:57
Tauk > Owane > Polyphia > Body Hound
Instrumentals are always a good theme because the voice is the weak point of much music in my view. These are all good in their own way with occasionally some exaggeration of different parts/signatures for the sake of it (meaning that I don't always get the "musical logic"of it). Owane is very good with very strong parts though lacking cohesion occasionally. I voted Tauk because this is actually most straight and consistent and I like it a lot, although some may say it is less "prog" than the others. The Polyphia one isn't bad but didn't leave as much an impression as the best two, and Body Hound passes me by. 
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2020 at 19:11
^Thanks for the feedback. The Body Hound has a lot of similarities to KC Red era. Heavy, brutal, and dissonant.
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2020 at 01:43
Thanks! Didn't know any of these bands and it is quite a nice listen.
Owane is maybe the most accessible of the four, a pleasant listen, but it doesn't leave a big trace. I have a similar impression as Lewian regarding Body Hound: it is clear these are very good musicians, but to me this is more a showcase of talents than a real coherent piece - it doesn't really go anywhere. Tauk is nice too, but just a little bit to straight forward. My first impression regarding Polyphia was it to be another showcase track, but upon second listen it has an intriguing build-up in it, while remaining accessible. They get my vote.

Edited by suitkees - August 23 2020 at 03:54

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2020 at 03:36
Nice listen, very good artists and quite entertaining. Polyphia gets my vote.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2020 at 03:40
Owane - Saturday Ends
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2020 at 10:11
I wasn't familiar with any of these and enjoyed them all.  I could probably have voted for any of them, but decided on voting for Polyphia.  
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2020 at 11:30
Thanks for all the comments.

Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

I wasn't familiar with any of these and enjoyed them all.  I could probably have voted for any of them, but decided on voting for Polyphia.  
I can't believe I stumped you. You have introduced me to many new artists in your Covid-19 polls. So far, six CD'S purchased.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2020 at 05:40
Here's a bit of an older one for you.  Not sure if you may have heard of this band, but our PA bio recommends them for fans of Allan Holdsworth.

Boboulo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boboulo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2020 at 12:37
Owane - "Saturday Ends"
 Post Reply Post Reply