Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Covid-19 Invitational Tourn-Heavy Hitters Round 2
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Covid-19 Invitational Tourn-Heavy Hitters Round 2

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Which of these heavy hitters will move on to the finals?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
2 [11.11%]
9 [50.00%]
1 [5.56%]
2 [11.11%]
4 [22.22%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Covid-19 Invitational Tourn-Heavy Hitters Round 2
    Posted: September 03 2020 at 07:43
For those that participated in the first round, you know what is going on, and here is the second round of the Heavy Hitters as chosen by you.  For those who are new to this tournament, all of these songs have been released within the last three years and the goal is to choose the song created by a prog artist that has the best chance to attain some mainstream success.  While we all know that mainstream success for prog artists is virtually unobtainable, there was once a time, and in my alternative reality fantasy world, that time again is now.  Give these songs a listen and choose the one that you think could have some mainstream success...barring that, just choose your favorite. 

Boboulo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boboulo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2020 at 08:26
Voted Big Big Train.
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2020 at 08:30
Phideaux.
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2020 at 08:39
Deep Purple. This is a great song, showing that the band is still one of the great ones, and with a lot of progressive influences in their music.
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Easy Money Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2020 at 08:48
Thats one of Deep Purple's best songs ever, love the lyrics.
Help the victims of the russian invasion:
http://www.jazzmusicarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=28523&PID=130446&title=various-ways-you-can-help-ukraine#130446
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2020 at 10:02
I dig Alive.
Welcome to the middle of the film.
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2020 at 11:03
This is the first time I have taken the time to check out the tunes. I can't say I cared for all of them but there is some cool music here. As to which might achieve mainstream success, I cannot say. It has been decades since I paid attention to the charts, but I will say that all of these deserve that success.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2020 at 13:22
Kansas has had mainstream success, so it feels easier to vote for them to get it again. 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2020 at 04:52
Well, this is a nice selection and a pleasant listen but at the same time these songs represent my problem with most modern prog: the sheer lack of originality. Of these five, for me the stand out is Big Big Train (wasn't this a minor hit in the UK?)

Anyway, your polls are much more interesting than all those dinosaur polls that flourish on PA at the moment. Thanks to your polls I made some good discoveries!

(the Deep Purple tube didn't work for me, this one does)

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2020 at 05:57
Thank you!  I enjoyed putting this together.  I think it makes the forum a little more interesting to try and talk about artists other than the 6 or 7 bands that are always talked about and compared.  I appreciate the feedback and some of the other recommendations that I have received.  
mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2020 at 07:35
My vote went to Deep Purple. Amazing that the band in some way has been around for over 50 years. Paice is the only original member, right? 

All of these could've been mainstream in the 80's I think. I really can't say what constitutes mainstream these days.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2020 at 08:31
Ian Paice is the only original member, but Roger Glover and Ian Gillian are both from their classic period and have been there on and off since 1969.  

I'm pretty sure none of these could be mainstream today as today is mostly rap/hip-hop, vocoders, boy bands, and pretty girls.  My general idea is that there was once a period of time in a galaxy far, far away, when prog music was actually popular, and at least some of the people who once found this music popular are still out there...they just don't realize that the music that they used to like is still out there and to a certain extent is still being made. 

If Smoke on the Water were made and released today, it would fall on deaf ears...but because it was made when it was made it was a huge hit and today it is considered a classic.  The audience that made it a classic is still out there somewhere (at least those that are fortunate enough to still be living).  The radio powers that be just aren't catering to them.  But if they were could one of these songs be the song that became a big hit!!!  I know that the answer is a giant "Who Knows???" but that is the fun of imagining this alternative reality fantasy world to which I keep referring.  
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Easy Money Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2020 at 09:01
Yes, Ian Paice was in the original Purple, and Gillan and Glover have been in most incarnations of the band over the years.
I've been a fan of the band since their first album, and this new album is one of their best ever. They actually write good lyrics now, something they never did in the past.
Help the victims of the russian invasion:
http://www.jazzmusicarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=28523&PID=130446&title=various-ways-you-can-help-ukraine#130446
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2020 at 09:48
Giving these all one more bump.  I will be posting the finals tomorrow.  Come one come all...vote for the song that you think could have the best chance at mainstream success.
A Crimson Mellotron View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Crimson Mellotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2020 at 10:33
Pendragon
iluvmarillion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iluvmarillion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2020 at 17:49
Big Big Train (just) over the Deep Purple.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2020 at 02:44
Deep Purple - Nothing at All
 Post Reply Post Reply