2 [3.45%]
5 [8.62%]
2 [3.45%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iluvmarillion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2020 at 18:27
Originally posted by Intruder Intruder wrote:

Peter Green doesn't get his due....and the reason for that can be placed square in the laps of Howe and Anderson.  Even when he passed very little was said and nothing at all done.  Green was a killer on the first album and in those early BBC sessions - he and Squire really built a cool sound.  I know it wasn't "enough" for Anderson's ambitions, and the competition was starting to get further and further away from the blooze and Wes Montgomery, so Green had to go.  But that first album, man.....still a favorite of mine.  

I concede Peter banks is a highly talented guitarist, but my immediate response is look at the gap between the first two albums and The Yes Album. Yes would never have achieved their ambitions without Steve Howe.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2020 at 19:00
I voted for Big Generator. I'll never understand the hatred it gets.
Intruder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Intruder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2020 at 07:20
Of course Banks had to be replaced to attain that Yes Album sound - Anderson had his vision of what the band would be and saw that growth beyond the blues and Wes required Banks' replacement.  That doesn't mean how they handled the situation didn't suck for Banks, nor does it take away from the groovy sounds they created with Banks on guitar.  

The first album is massively underrated - they second also but it suffers from overambition.  If they'd have skipped the strings and let Banks wail like on the first album......  
I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....
Blaqua View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blaqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2020 at 15:47
I voted for Drama, one of my favorite 80s prog rock albums. With songs such as Tempus Fugit, Machine Messiah, Into the Lens etc. Yes started off the 80s on the right foot, despite Jon’s absence.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123