Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

So, Who Exactly is a Member of the Big Six?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 111213
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2022 at 17:33
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

17. Dream Theater
Never knew Dream Theater was neo.
essexboyinwales View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote essexboyinwales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2022 at 04:53
P Tree and DT neo prog?!! And Transatlantic?!!!!!
Heaven is waiting but waiting is Hell
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2022 at 05:10
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

17. Dream Theater
Never knew Dream Theater was neo.

It's almost as bizarre as Jethro Tull being classed as a Heavy Metal band at the Grammy Awards, although 53% of people on Ranker agreed with Dream Theater being classed as Neo Prog. Tongue
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2022 at 05:14
Originally posted by essexboyinwales essexboyinwales wrote:

P Tree and DT neo prog?!! And Transatlantic?!!!!!

I have no problem with Porcupine Tree and Transatlantic being included in Ranker's Neo Prog Top 30, but I'm guessing those who voted for Dream Theater assumed Neo Prog was short for 
Neo Progressive Metal. Tongue

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - October 29 2022 at 05:15
LAM-SGC View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote LAM-SGC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2022 at 13:20
Back in the 90s, in the UK anyway, PT was SW's indie-psych-space-rock studio outfit. Nothing at all to do with prog or neo prog. Then HE made two albums that sounded like Floyd, then he created a band playing indie prog rock, there is zero in PT's music that can be linked to neo.      

Edited by LAM-SGC - October 29 2022 at 13:27
LAM-SGC View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LAM-SGC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2022 at 13:26
Super  Seven

Arena
Jadis
Threshold
IQ
Marilion (Fish era)
Shadowland
Twelfth Night
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2022 at 13:27
Originally posted by LAM-SGC LAM-SGC wrote:

Back in the 90s, in the UK anyway, PT was SW's  indie-psych-space-rock studio outfit. Nothing at all to do with prog or neo prog. Then HE made two albums that sounded like Floyd, then he created a band playing indie prog rock, there is zero in PT music that can be linked to neo.      

There were Pink Floyd influences even on the debut album, especially Radioactive Toy. 
The music was progressive from the start, like you say, indie-psychedelia-space rock. Someone mixing genres like that, sounds like prog to me. Tongue
True, nothing to do with neo-prog. 
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2022 at 02:24

Super  Five

Arena
Jadis
Threshold
IQ
Marilion (Fish era)
Shadowland
Twelfth Night

I would add Pendragon instead of Shadowland to make a 6 while the Threshold I know are Prog metal and nothing to do with Neo.
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2022 at 02:43
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

I would add Pendragon instead of Shadowland to make a 6 while the Threshold I know are Prog metal and nothing to do with Neo.

Back in the early noughties, I used to personally refer to these as the 'Big 6' of the UK Neo scene..

Marillion - IQ - Pendragon - Arena - Jadis - Pallas

I doubt whether that would have meant anything to anyone else however, as Marillion had partly moved away in style and I'm sure other bands such as Landmarq, Galahad and Grey Lady Down might have had something to say on the matter... Smile
rdtprog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Heavy, RPI, Symph, JR/F Canterbury Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rdtprog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2022 at 05:27
Marillion, IQ and Arena first 3 for sure, but Galahad next. Pendragon and Jadis is what I don't like about Neo Prog.
Music is the refuge of souls ulcerated by happiness.

Emile M. Cioran

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2022 at 05:53
Originally posted by rdtprog rdtprog wrote:

Marillion, IQ and Arena first 3 for sure, but Galahad next. Pendragon and Jadis is what I don't like about Neo Prog.
All six of those bands you mentioned are everything I DO like about Neo Prog. Big smile
rdtprog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Heavy, RPI, Symph, JR/F Canterbury Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rdtprog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2022 at 05:55

Originally posted by rdtprog rdtprog wrote:

All six of those bands you mentioned are everything I DO like about Neo Prog. Big smile

I enjoy Pendragon for a couple of decades and stop recently but Jadis was a No from the start.
Music is the refuge of souls ulcerated by happiness.

Emile M. Cioran

LAM-SGC View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LAM-SGC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2022 at 06:32

Super  Five

Arena
Jadis
Threshold
IQ
Marilion (Fish era)
Shadowland
Twelfth Night

I never mentioned neo in my post.  I just wrote Super Seven, my super seven of prog of the post-classic era.  Shadowland nowadays are more darkwave than prog, closer to The Mission than Arena. As for Pallas and Pendragon, never liked them.  I don't recognise hard rock and metal as useful tags anymore, as Arena are in some songs just as heavy as Threshold. 

Edited by LAM-SGC - October 30 2022 at 06:35
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2022 at 01:24

Super  Five

Arena
Jadis
Threshold
IQ
Marilion (Fish era)
Shadowland
Twelfth Night

I never mentioned neo in my post.  I just wrote Super Seven, my super seven of prog of the post-classic era.  Shadowland nowadays are more darkwave than prog, closer to The Mission than Arena. As for Pallas and Pendragon, never liked them.  I don't recognise hard rock and metal as useful tags anymore, as Arena are in some songs just as heavy as Threshold. 

my mistake although the thread had gone on to talking about Neo.  Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 111213