Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Tech Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Offline streaming servers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vivoactive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Offline streaming servers
    Posted: September 08 2020 at 12:09
Right now I am trying to build my own music server, an offline version of Spotify, Google Play, Apple Music etc. I am not a fan of subscription services and I have tons of music offline, demos, etc, which might never be available online. Right now I am trying to configure MadSonic, used to use SubSonic, however, the downside is that neither of the recent versions of the programs use ID3 tags, I might switch to an open source alternative and rewrite some stuff. Also, I have a lot of old TVs, which I will use as music players with a Raspberry Pi attached to them. Recently I left my job as an embedded programmer, and let's see what I have learned from it. 

Does anyone of you have a similar project at home? I'm really curious about it! 
________
...that the storm really doesn't matter until the storm begins to get you down
Gentle and Giant View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gentle and Giant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2020 at 13:37
Recently I've been trialling quite a few different media servers. What I've tried so far:

Plex - The biggy in this field and probably the most popular media server. I wasn't keen as it's not totally free (Plex Pass and paid for apps) and is not great with music either. I couldn't get it to stream video remotely either, whilst it worked OK locally. I had it running on a Synology NAS.

Emby - Also running on a Synology NAS. Like Plex it's not free with a similar Pass/Paid app system and also, like Plex, it's not open source.

Jellyfin - A totally free server/client system and is a fork of Emby. Works great with video both locally and remotely. I have it installed on a Raspberry pi, behind a reverse proxy, pointing at my NAS for storage. Sadly it's not great with music but does work if you want an all in one solution for video and music. it's in constant development though and the music side of things are improving

Airsonic - If you've used Subsonic,  you'll probably know about Airsonic. But unlike subsonic it's totally free and a fork of Subsonic (like Madsonic). It has many clients to use too. I particularly like DSub (on Android) as it works well with Android Auto in my car - others clients are Ultrasonic, Subsonic, Air Player, Audinaut, Music Stash for Android, plenty for IoS etc too. I have the server installed on a Raspberry Pi and my music on a NAS, again sat behind a reverse proxy for security - it allows me to access my music at home and out and about.

At the moment I'm using Jellyfin mainly for video, but I have my music scanned in too (Jellyfin is updated regularly and there is an Android client being designed dedicated for music only called Gelli - so I'm just keeping my eye on it). For music I've found the Airsonic/DSub combination to be the best solution so far. As an aside there is yet another fork of Airsonic called Airsonic Advanced which offers better authentification.
Oh, for the wings of any bird, other than a battery hen
 Post Reply Post Reply