Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Best Ever Year in Prog

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Poll Question: What is, in your opinion, the best year for prog out of these?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
3 [6.12%]
35 [71.43%]
3 [6.12%]
1 [2.04%]
2 [4.08%]
5 [10.20%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FatherChristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2020 at 12:19
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Originally posted by FatherChristmas FatherChristmas wrote:

Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

I had hopes 1980 would at least make some competition with 1972, but no...

I don't think the 1980 Genesis "Duke" album is going to fare well against their classic 1972 "Foxtrot" album. smile

Elementary, my dear Paul! I believed people would vote for 1980 ALSO because of Melt, Permanent Waves, Drama ( which you yourself like), Scary Monsters (featuring the genius none other than Robert Fripp), and perhaps most importantly the birth of the neo prog wave. A lot of stuff, therefore - and they're just my favourites.

wait... what?!
what happened in 1980 that lead to the birth of neo-prog? Confused

Prog rock declined in the late 70s, but in 1980 there was a bit of a revival if you remember (possibly due to Another Brick in the Wall) which I personally think was where neo began. I know this is a very debatable subject.

Not debatable at all, but The Wall got nothing to do with neo prog. Other Floyd album, maybe, but not The Wall. Also Gilmour and Wright definitely  influenced  neo-prog musicians. 
I know it's got nothing to do with neo prog! It just sparked a comeback in the prog rock genre as a whole, leading to people becoming interested in prog, leading them to creating a new prog genre - neo prog. I'm glad you say it is not debatable, though - and my idea of prog history is not like our dear friend Svetonio.
And on Svetonio/Boboulo, why on earth does he bombard my thread with album covers? What is the point of it? To annoy us?

Neo-prog started really building an audience in 1982-1983. Check out what Twelfth Night, Marillion and IQ were doing in those times, so that you understand the genre. Smile

It started building an audience then, but those bands you mentioned started 1979/1980. They only started making the classic neo we know and love today 1982-1983, but I think neo began before that - a bit like modern prog today, it developed the essence of the genre 2018-present, beyond then... who knows.
"Check out what Twelfth Night, Marillion and IQ were doing in those times" - I have. A long, long time ago. Wink
"Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence" - Robert Fripp
"I am an anti-Christ" - Johnny Rotten
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2020 at 12:26

I don't think the 1980 Genesis "Duke" album is going to fare well against their classic 1972 "Foxtrot" album. smile

Elementary, my dear Paul! I believed people would vote for 1980 ALSO because of Melt, Permanent Waves, Drama ( which you yourself like), Scary Monsters (featuring the genius none other than Robert Fripp), and perhaps most importantly the birth of the neo prog wave. A lot of stuff, therefore - and they're just my favourites.

wait... what?!

Prog rock declined in the late 70s, but in 1980 there was a bit of a revival if you remember (possibly due to Another Brick in the Wall) which I personally think was where neo began. I know this is a very debatable subject.

Not debatable at all, but The Wall got nothing to do with neo prog. Other Floyd album, maybe, but not The Wall. Also Gilmour and Wright definitely  influenced  neo-prog musicians. 
I know it's got nothing to do with neo prog! It just sparked a comeback in the prog rock genre as a whole, leading to people becoming interested in prog, leading them to creating a new prog genre - neo prog. I'm glad you say it is not debatable, though - and my idea of prog history is not like our dear friend Svetonio.
And on Svetonio/Boboulo, why on earth does he bombard my thread with album covers? What is the point of it? To annoy us?

Neo-prog started really building an audience in 1982-1983. Check out what Twelfth Night, Marillion and IQ were doing in those times, so that you understand the genre. Smile

It started building an audience then, but those bands you mentioned started 1979/1980. They only started making the classic neo we know and love today 1982-1983, but I think neo began before that - a bit like modern prog today, it developed the essence of the genre 2018-present, beyond then... who knows.
"Check out what Twelfth Night, Marillion and IQ were doing in those times" - I have. A long, long time ago. Wink

IQ started in 1981. So did Twelfth Night. Marillion got its first stable line up in 1981. So once these bands started building an audience, playing clubs and so on, they got a record contract and the rest is history. 
FatherChristmas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FatherChristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2020 at 12:39

wait... what?!

IQ started in 1981. So did Twelfth Night. Marillion got its first stable line up in 1981. So once these bands started building an audience, playing clubs and so on, they got a record contract and the rest is history. 
Twelth Night began 1978, Marillion began in 1979 but IQ's right.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2020 at 12:47

wait... what?!

Marillion began in 1979, but first copuple of years, there was no stable line up, just an idea. Same with IQ. Twelfth night started making some music in 1979, but really picked up in 1981-1982. Pallas slowly built  an audience in the early 80s, but only manged to have a record label by 1983-1984. It was the success of Marillion, IQ and Twelfth Night that lead to Pallas, Pendragon, Solstice etc. to make music. 

Edited by Cristi - September 15 2020 at 12:47
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FatherChristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2020 at 14:35

wait... what?!

Marillion began in 1979, but first copuple of years, there was no stable line up, just an idea. Same with IQ. Twelfth night started making some music in 1979, but really picked up in 1981-1982. Pallas slowly built  an audience in the early 80s, but only manged to have a record label by 1983-1984. It was the success of Marillion, IQ and Twelfth Night that lead to Pallas, Pendragon, Solstice etc. to make music. 

I think we shoud continue this discussion on the neo prog thread before we go totally of topic.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FatherChristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2020 at 10:32
Well, I have been criticised for saying 2019 was the clear winner of the '10s; I somehow do not believe I will be quite so contested when I say '72 is the clear winner here!
ClapClapClap
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2020 at 10:36
Criticized quite rightly.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FatherChristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2020 at 10:44
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Criticized quite rightly.
True, I closed the poll to early. However, 2019 still has the most votes, so I didn't change it.
Lieutenant_Lan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lieutenant_Lan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2021 at 21:06
72 easily. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234