Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Evan Carson (UK?*) to Prog Folk

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkynyrdLynyrd175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Evan Carson (UK?*) to Prog Folk
    Posted: September 21 2020 at 14:23
I see there were already a suggestion of mr Carson year ago, but still, can't find him on PA yet. Time to make another one! Nyaaa!

EVAN CARSON is a percussionist. He recorded/toured with such acts as Iamthemorning, Gleb Kolyadin, Charlie Cawood, Tim Bowness, and in the year of 2019 here comes his debut album: Ocipinski. It has an amazing and unique progressive folk & rock sound, also featuring maestro Gleb on piano, Charlie Cawood on zither, cuatro, bouzouki, oud, acoustic guitar & acoustic bass, Jim Grey vocals on fourth song, and many more!

Ocipinski (2019) is the only album yet.

*Sadly can't find much info about his country. Probably it's the UK, but since there's a lot of musicians from different parts of the world, and Kolyadin as a co-writer, can it be counted as Multi-National?

YouTube:

P.S. pssst, if there're more fans of maestro Gleb, you definyately must listen this! Nya! <3
If you see this, the power of fluffy boys shine within ya \[T]/ *hug*
P.S. Sadly can't change my old username that i used everywhere since... 2014 year? So, basically, I'm Jethro. Nice to meet you!
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote yam yam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2020 at 10:39
Yes, he's from the UK, and the suggestion from last year was probably overlooked, since it initially contained little info about the artist other than a link to the album on bandcamp (though a subsequent post by a member of the Errors & Omissions Team in June of this year added the necessary info to write a biography for him).

He belongs here as far as I'm concerned, either in Crossover or Prog Folk, and one or other of these two suggestions *should * get him an evaluation by one team or the other. Embarrassed

Edit: added hyperlink to earlier suggestion from 2019.

Edited by yam yam - November 23 2020 at 11:00
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2020 at 15:46
Originally posted by yam yam yam yam wrote:

Yes, he's from the UK, and the suggestion from last year was probably overlooked, since it initially contained little info about the artist other than a link to the album on bandcamp (though a subsequent post by a member of the Errors & Omissions Team in June of this year added the necessary info to write a biography for him).

He belongs here as far as I'm concerned, either in Crossover or Prog Folk, and one or other of these two suggestions *should * get him an evaluation by one team or the other. Embarrassed

Edit: added hyperlink to earlier suggestion from 2019.

I have the feeling that we've already evaluated this album before (Ken will know more, he's the one keeping tabs).

And TBH, I don't hear much Prog Folk.  If anything Symphonic prog should listen to it.
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2020 at 20:07
I don't think we evaluated him, as he appears to have slipped through the cracks.  But it looks like crossover added him to progfreak so let's see what they say
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yam yam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2020 at 20:21
I hadn't really considered Symphonic tbf, but I've never been particularly good at picking sub genres lol! For me personally, Evan Carson belongs in Crossover Prog, where Iamthemorning are. However, most reviews on the web suggest that there is a definite folk influence here along with the progressive rock one, so it seemed perhaps worth giving it a shot in PF first.

Reviews that I've seen of the album are very positive indeed:

https://theprogspace.com/evan-carson-ocipinski/ "The result is music that swings in somewhere between progressive rock and folk – full of beautiful melodies that pull you right into the songs and countless details that make you discover new aspects of the songs with every run."

https://louderthanwar.com/evan-carson-ocipinski-album-review/ "Bringing together musicians from the folk and progressive music worlds that rarely cross paths, Evan’s created a fascinating hybrid and to be honest it’s stirring stuff."

https://theprogmind.com/2019/07/30/evan-carson-ocipinski/ "It falls into the progressive rock spectrum somewhere, yes, but there is a richness to it that just does not befit the rock genre.  Folk is definitely a big factor here, as are neoclassical ideas."

It's a damn fine album for sure, so I hope we find a home for this chap somewhere on here.
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yam yam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2020 at 20:24
Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

I don't think we evaluated him, as he appears to have slipped through the cracks.  But it looks like crossover added him to progfreak so let's see what they say

It was me that added him to progfreak Ken. Nobody from the Crossover team has listened to the album yet as far as I know. Embarrassed
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2020 at 20:38
I agree with Hugues.  As I said in the other concurrent thread, seems more xover to me.  There is some folk and some symph but xover seems like the place.  Can you please alert that team, Yam Yam? 
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yam yam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2020 at 20:47
I'm not a collaborator Ken, so can't access their team thread. Keishiro will spot the thread in due course though, I'm sure.  I'm pretty certain he will evaluate the suggestion in Crossover now that both you and Hugues have ruled Prog Folk out of the equation.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2020 at 20:50
^ Ah sorry, thank you.  Yes Keishiro is pretty prompt about these things
DamoXt7942 View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Avant/Cross/Neo/Post Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DamoXt7942 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2020 at 22:09
^ Alrighty I'll alert other collabs. Thanks for heads up.
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yam yam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2020 at 22:52
Thanks for taking this suggestion to the Crossover team Keishiro. Thumbs Up

For anyone interested, the progress of the evaluation can be followed here: https://progfreak.com/Evan-Carson-177773.html?path=pa/recent.
SkynyrdLynyrd175 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkynyrdLynyrd175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2020 at 03:47
thankee <3
If you see this, the power of fluffy boys shine within ya \[T]/ *hug*
P.S. Sadly can't change my old username that i used everywhere since... 2014 year? So, basically, I'm Jethro. Nice to meet you!
 Post Reply Post Reply