Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Metal Machine Music

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Metal Machine Music
    Posted: September 26 2020 at 19:09
A rather unusual concert is under way in Copenhagen: An acoustic version of Lou Reed's controversial album Metal Machine Music from 1975, as performed by Athelas Sinfonietta Copenhagen. Quite a daring choice, especially since Metal Machine Music is loathed by a lot of people, and some even consider it one of the worst albums ever made.

As for me personally, I don't know if I can say I really like it, but I have always respected Lou Reed for doing something totally different, and especially for shaking the average rock listener out of his (mostly his) comfort zone.

But how do people here approach the album?

Edited by The Anders - September 26 2020 at 19:25
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Easy Money Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2020 at 19:26
Its static music from an era when static music was a new thing to western ears. I like it, but I don't know if i will listen to it again, too many other new things to listen to.
Help the victims of the russian invasion:
http://www.jazzmusicarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=28523&PID=130446&title=various-ways-you-can-help-ukraine#130446
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2020 at 19:32
I tried to listen to Lou Reed many many years ago, the hype never hit me so I stopped.
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2020 at 19:34
I’d be interested in hearing that. I have an album by a chamber ensemble called Zeitkratzer, doing acoustic interpretations of music by Whitehouse, one of the early harsh noise acts. This sounds like it might take a similar approach.

I like MMM quite a bit. When I’m in the right mood it works well as relaxation music..
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
 Post Reply Post Reply