30 albums that said "prog is back!"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 30 albums that said "prog is back!"
    Posted: October 07 2020 at 18:24
Tool - Aenima (1996)
Godspeed You! Black Emperor - F♯ A♯ ∞  (1997)
Radiohead - OK Computer (1997)
Sigur Rós - Ágætis byrjun (1999)
Opeth - Still Life (1999)

These are the bands who drove progressivity into the 21st century.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2020 at 17:46
Hi,

Sad that the only thing we look at is one album or another ... the history of the media and how people heard and shared music, is what "brought" prog and progressive music "back" ... but in actuality it had never gone away, except that the record companies and delivery companies would not support the bands they did not have an interest in (ie. own parts of).

The Internet was the beginning of the end for "record companies and their "influence" on our tastes ... and it's hard to believe that we don't see that ... 

This thread, without the media history in it, is not a good example that prog was back ... it had NEVER LEFT. But we won't see the reasons why and how ... none of us had a computer before 1990 (just about) and after that many of us got one and used that 2400 baud modem to connect and find music ... and later in that same decade the whole Napster and Mp3 fiasco came about ... it was the record company lawyer's last hurrah! And they actually lost it, by "winning" the whole thing!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2020 at 17:15
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Yeah. the novelty of Ars Nova being girls helped them a lot, initially. I first heard "Transi" (the track, not the album for which it's titled) on a dubbed tape, and it blew me away. I read the blurb ("three Japanese girls playing like ELP"), but that was just a blurb. The MUSIC made me order the CD ASAP! Their albums, Gerard's and PLP's yielded many hours of keyboard-fueled listening pleasure.

I tried, but I could never get into Echolyn.

As much as I love echolyn they are sort of a mixed bag for me. All their albums are at least good but some a bit more than others. I think their earlier stuff is the best but I often find myself alone with that opinion. The last couple are really good too though.

I have certainly heard of Ars Nova but haven't heard much of them. Gerard played at one of the earlier Nearfests(02 I think)and so I saw them there. That's about it. PLP also played at NF and were great. Unfortunately they lost their talented female singer quite a while ago. 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - October 06 2020 at 17:17
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2020 at 16:14
Yeah. the novelty of Ars Nova being girls helped them a lot, initially. I first heard "Transi" (the track, not the album for which it's titled) on a dubbed tape, and it blew me away. I read the blurb ("three Japanese girls playing like ELP"), but that was just a blurb. The MUSIC made me order the CD ASAP! Their albums, Gerard's and PLP's yielded many hours of keyboard-fueled listening pleasure.

I tried, but I could never get into Echolyn.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2020 at 16:00
For me personally it was Par Lindh - Gothic Impressions.

only one album you may say but this was the first time for a long time that I heard something that was so embedded in the seventies prog scene yet somehow was something new. Of course Anglagard got there a bit quicker but I was not aware of them at the time.

What irks me a bit now was that I took so long to latch onto Echolyn. They were the prog band of the 90's.

Another band that may be worth mentioning is Ars Nova. They started as an all female line up and were damn good when they started out although unfairly treated as a gimmick perhaps. Not ELP copycats although they were fans.

and on the subject of ELP . Decent new album in 1992 and the BBC Radio broadcast their Royal Albert show on the comeback tour. That surely screamed that prog was back as much as anything!

Edited by richardh - October 06 2020 at 16:02
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2020 at 10:55
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Ozric Tentacles Erpland Eng 1990
U Totem U Totem USA 1990  
Talk Talk Laughing Stock Eng 1991  
Smith, Tim Extra Special OceanLandWorld Eng 1991
Änglagård Hybris Swe 1992   
5uu's Hunger's Teeth USA 1994
Steensland, Simon The Zombie Hunter Swe 1995
Bondage Fruit Bondage Fruit Jpn 1995
Doctor Nerve Skin USA 1995
Mr. Bungle Disco Volante USA 1995
Uz Jsme Doma Pohadky ze Zapotrebi (Fairytales From Needland) Cze 1995  
X-Legged Sally The Land of the Giant Dwarves Bel 1996
Cardiacs Sing to God Part I Eng 1996  
Koenji Hyakkei II (aka Viva Koenji) Jpn 1996
Radiohead OK Computer Eng 1997
Volapuk Slang Fra 1997  
5uu's Crisis In Clay USA 1997  
Höyry-Kone Huono Parturi Fin 1997  
Djam Karet The Devouring USA 1997
Idiot Flesh Fancy USA 1997
Vezhlivyi Otkaz (Polite Refusal) Kosa na Kamen' (Diamond Cut Diamond) Rus 1997  
Thinking Plague In Extremis USA 1998  
Charming Hostess Eat USA 1999  
Mr. Bungle California USA 1999  
Sigur Rós Aegetis Birjun Ice 1999
Gordian Knot Gordian Knot USA 1999  
Samla Mammas Manna Kaka Swe 1999

There's actually two albums that are on both of our lists. Without peaking let's see if you can figure out(or guess)which ones they are. Smile

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - October 06 2020 at 10:57
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2020 at 10:52

Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

...back from what? Did prog fans need these albums to tell them prog was back from somewhere or did the music industry need these albums to tell them prog was back (from somewhere)?

I know I'm being a little sh*t.....but I'm bored tonight, so humor me! LOL

You answered your own question. LOL
LOL
Even if true, there was no response from the music industry, prog has only meant something to one group...Prog Fans. We are very good at alienating the rest of the music industry. Prog fans are the ones who have created all these genre/sub genre walls from the rest of music and internally fight about them...cra cra Confused

Think about all the metal sub genres, the little bit that I have been exposed to those forums, those fans don't krapp on other metal sub genres like we do ie; NeoProg.....I am sure there is some but not like we do. At the core its metal music and they run with it.

EDIT: Except for Hair Metal......LOL

Edited by Catcher10 - October 06 2020 at 12:07
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2020 at 10:05

...back from what? Did prog fans need these albums to tell them prog was back from somewhere or did the music industry need these albums to tell them prog was back (from somewhere)?

You answered your own question. LOL
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2020 at 08:52
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Here is my list of albums of the so called prog resurgence that said "prog is back." 
Hi,

Wonderful list, specially for someone looking for "prog" stuff that is more modern than the early stuff.

However, I would think that all the list shows is ... that "prog" had never left, and did not have to return ... it was already here, and it continued, with the exception that we stopped listening for a while and usually say that it was the record company's fault ... the music was always there.

However, the Internet changed things, and one of the things that was quite open in those days, was alt.progressivemusic and other locations on Fido and other areas, where progressive music was being given a lot of attention (I mean A LOT!!!!!), which suggested that the awareness was there.

The "new" material, made that whole thing a lot more obvious and important all along.

But I would suggest that the INTERNET was the main reason to showcase "progressive" music, a lot more than it had in the 80's ... and since it "died" ... it never did die ... but the media made it look like it did, but we REFUSE to admit that the media on the music was all owned and operated by the record companies and distributors ... so why would they print or say something about "new" music, and not make glorious statements about the current stars?

BTW, of all these lists, at least 2/3 of it was being played REGULARLY on Guy Guden's Space Pirate Radio, which was just more proof that the whole thing was not dead ... but the ability for folks to connect to it, and hear it was a problem, until the Internet developed further. You can see/hear the proof of that on the current show that has listeners from all over the world saying how and when they heard the show ... and what they remember ... 

I got my first computer in the fall of 1990 or so ... and that little modem was connecting to 3 progressive music related areas, and I added a couple more along the way.

Edited by moshkito - October 06 2020 at 08:57
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2020 at 05:05

Ozric Tentacles Erpland Eng 1990
U Totem U Totem USA 1990  
Talk Talk Laughing Stock Eng 1991  
Smith, Tim Extra Special OceanLandWorld Eng 1991
Änglagård Hybris Swe 1992   
5uu's Hunger's Teeth USA 1994
Steensland, Simon The Zombie Hunter Swe 1995
Bondage Fruit Bondage Fruit Jpn 1995
Doctor Nerve Skin USA 1995
Mr. Bungle Disco Volante USA 1995
Uz Jsme Doma Pohadky ze Zapotrebi (Fairytales From Needland) Cze 1995  
X-Legged Sally The Land of the Giant Dwarves Bel 1996
Cardiacs Sing to God Part I Eng 1996  
Koenji Hyakkei II (aka Viva Koenji) Jpn 1996
Radiohead OK Computer Eng 1997
Volapuk Slang Fra 1997  
5uu's Crisis In Clay USA 1997  
Höyry-Kone Huono Parturi Fin 1997  
Djam Karet The Devouring USA 1997
Idiot Flesh Fancy USA 1997
Vezhlivyi Otkaz (Polite Refusal) Kosa na Kamen' (Diamond Cut Diamond) Rus 1997  
Thinking Plague In Extremis USA 1998  
Charming Hostess Eat USA 1999  
Mr. Bungle California USA 1999  
Sigur Rós Aegetis Birjun Ice 1999
Gordian Knot Gordian Knot USA 1999  
Samla Mammas Manna Kaka Swe 1999
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2020 at 00:16
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

I would have loved to see King Crimson's "Thrak" added to the list!   Released 25 April, 1995.  

Simply sheer awesomenessClap
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2020 at 22:44

LOL

Good point. It never went away for me or for many fans but I think a lot of fans were limited to what they could find in the stores or maybe didn't know the scene still existed or that there was some kind of resurgence. It wasn't all online but I think that's how a lot of people at that time(if not most)reconnected with it. I feel it was more like a rediscovery than a discovery since I don't think there were that many younger folks discovering it for the first time. I'm sure some did but I think it was more like "hey man I just did a search on this world wide web thing and found out that there are newer progressive rock bands out there. Cool man. Plus Joey on aol said the new Yes albulm called talk is pretty cool too. He also told me about this band called Ozzy's Testicles or something. Also, Kirk's beard or something like that. Awesome dude." 
Back in 2006, before I joined PA (officially as I lurked for about a year), the place I found music discussions galore was the Zune Social. I had a Zune player (still use it) when it came out and bought music and had a Zune Pass and all that, till the day MS shut it down Cry....But the Social was the place where I talked about music with thousands of people across the world, Progressive Rock was a huge topic. 

The main reason it was so active was soon as you were done making a suggestion you could go to that artists page and download the music, plus they had a "related" button and that took you to other band pages, it would be an endless cycle of discovering music. It truly was a music Social.....so yea I know what you are saying, we were always suggesting new stuff all the time that we found. In the Social you could actually send a song to a member, they could listen and download it or not.
It was the place I discovered Ostrich Testicles and The Pinebeetle Teeth..
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2020 at 21:41
I would have loved to see King Crimson's "Thrak" added to the list!   Released 25 April, 1995.  
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2020 at 21:20
Originally posted by geekfreak geekfreak wrote:

Here is my list of albums of the so called prog resurgence that said "prog is back." These are in chronological order. 

1. Solaris -1990  (1990)
2. Camel - Dust and Dreams (1991)
3. Dream Theater - Images and Words (1992)
4. Anglagard - Hybris (1992)
5. Echolyn - Suffocating the Bloom (1992)
6. Isildur's Bane - The Voyage - A Trip To Elsewhere (1992)
7. IQ- Ever (1993)
8. Ozric Tentacles - Jurassic Shift (1993)
9. Porcupine Tree - Up the Downstairs (1993)
10. Anekdoten - Vemod (1993)
11. Par Lindh Project - Gothic Impressions (1994) *
12. Roine Stolt - The Flower King (1994)
13. Kingston Wall - Kingston Wall II (1994) *
14. Anglagard - Epilog (1994)
15. Spock's Beard - The Light (1995)
16. Nuova Era - ll Passo Del Soldato (1995) *
17. Deus Ex Machina - De Republica *
18. The Flower Kings - Back in the World of Adventures (1995)
19. Echolyn - As the World (1995)
20. Porcupine Tree -The Sky Moves Sideways (1995)
21. After Crying - De Profundis (1996)
22. Porcupine Tree - Signify (1996)
23. Discipline - Unfolded Like Staircase (1997)*
24. Djam Karet - The Devouring (1997)
25. The Flower Kings - Stardust We Are (1997)
26. IQ- Subterannea (1997)
27. Camel - Rajaz (1999)
28. Transatlantic - SMPT:e (2000)
29. Porcupine Tree - In Absentia (2002)
30. The Mars Volta - Deloused in the Comatorium (2003) *

I could have added a few more and I regret leaving out a few from 1998(I could have added "the visitor" and "Into the electric castle")as well as Dream Theater's "metropolis: scenes from a memory part 2" but I didn't want to go over 30 and felt the last two or three were very important to have on here. Please mention any albums you feel could have been on here or would have made your list. Any other comments of course are welcome. 

I do not claim that this is a definitive or even a comprehensive list. This is just a list of albums based on my experience(including but not limited to listening experience)of albums that excited people back when prog was rediscovered by many online(or even just before online in some cases). 

Key: * Albums I personally haven't heard so opinions and comments on these albums are welcome

A truly excellent list and i know all of them lol, but when did prog go away as i must’ve. Missed It!!!!

So you were listening to obscure(ie non mainstream prog) in the 80's and 90's? 
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2020 at 21:18

Here is my list of albums of the so called prog resurgence that said "prog is back." These are in chronological order. 

1. Solaris -1990  (1990)
2. Camel - Dust and Dreams (1991)
3. Dream Theater - Images and Words (1992)
4. Anglagard - Hybris (1992)
5. Echolyn - Suffocating the Bloom (1992)
6. Isildur's Bane - The Voyage - A Trip To Elsewhere (1992)
7. IQ- Ever (1993)
8. Ozric Tentacles - Jurassic Shift (1993)
9. Porcupine Tree - Up the Downstairs (1993)
10. Anekdoten - Vemod (1993)
11. Par Lindh Project - Gothic Impressions (1994) *
12. Roine Stolt - The Flower King (1994)
13. Kingston Wall - Kingston Wall II (1994) *
14. Anglagard - Epilog (1994)
15. Spock's Beard - The Light (1995)
16. Nuova Era - ll Passo Del Soldato (1995) *
17. Deus Ex Machina - De Republica *
18. The Flower Kings - Back in the World of Adventures (1995)
19. Echolyn - As the World (1995)
20. Porcupine Tree -The Sky Moves Sideways (1995)
21. After Crying - De Profundis (1996)
22. Porcupine Tree - Signify (1996)
23. Discipline - Unfolded Like Staircase (1997)*
24. Djam Karet - The Devouring (1997)
25. The Flower Kings - Stardust We Are (1997)
26. IQ- Subterannea (1997)
27. Camel - Rajaz (1999)
28. Transatlantic - SMPT:e (2000)
29. Porcupine Tree - In Absentia (2002)
30. The Mars Volta - Deloused in the Comatorium (2003) *

I could have added a few more and I regret leaving out a few from 1998(I could have added "the visitor" and "Into the electric castle")as well as Dream Theater's "metropolis: scenes from a memory part 2" but I didn't want to go over 30 and felt the last two or three were very important to have on here. Please mention any albums you feel could have been on here or would have made your list. Any other comments of course are welcome. 

I do not claim that this is a definitive or even a comprehensive list. This is just a list of albums based on my experience(including but not limited to listening experience)of albums that excited people back when prog was rediscovered by many online(or even just before online in some cases). 

Key: * Albums I personally haven't heard so opinions and comments on these albums are welcome

A truly excellent list and i know all of them lol, but when did prog go away as i must’ve. Missed It!!!!
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2020 at 20:58

LOL

Good point. It never went away for me or for many fans but I think a lot of fans were limited to what they could find in the stores or maybe didn't know the scene still existed or that there was some kind of resurgence. It wasn't all online but I think that's how a lot of people at that time(if not most)reconnected with it. I feel it was more like a rediscovery than a discovery since I don't think there were that many younger folks discovering it for the first time. I'm sure some did but I think it was more like "hey man I just did a search on this world wide web thing and found out that there are newer progressive rock bands out there. Cool man. Plus Joey on aol said the new Yes albulm called talk is pretty cool too. He also told me about this band called Ozzy's Testicles or something. Also, Kirk's beard or something like that. Awesome dude." 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - October 05 2020 at 20:59
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2020 at 20:39

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2020 at 19:47
^ Yeah, exactlly. :D
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2020 at 19:46

Also, this might sound silly but I remember thinking Jurassic Shift was sort of Pat Metheny meets Nirvana! Tongue

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2020 at 19:28

I chose Jurassic Shift partly because it was their first on a major label, the first to make the charts(in the UK)and the first to get them noticed in the US. Imo, it's fantastic. Strangeitude is very good too but not quite as good(imo). I maybe heard Erpland once a long time ago but don't remember it much.

Strangeitude came out on I.R.S. Records, too. IMO, it was a big leap forward from Erpland. Strangeitude has a crazy energy, it's infectious. "Sploosh!" hit the top of the UK Indie Chart, as well.

Arborescence completes an unofficial trilogy. I played the hell out of all of them, and Live Underslunky.

Become the Other wasn't as good as the four before it, but they started to recover with Curious Corn.

I had arborescence at one point. That was really strong too. I kind of lost track of them until rather recently. I rebought strangeitude but I don't remember what else. I got live underslunky recently too. Those were the good old days. It's weird that for a brief period of time probably more people(especially prog fans)knew about Ozric Tentacles than knew about Porcupine Tree. I remember when I saw King Crimson in concert in 1995(in Philly) I even saw a guy wearing an Ozric Tentacles t shirt. Also, this might sound silly but I remember thinking Jurassic Shift was sort of Pat Metheny meets Nirvana! Tongue

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - October 05 2020 at 19:46
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>