Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Two Zeuhl recommendations

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Two Zeuhl recommendations
    Posted: December 30 2020 at 10:54
for all those who love Zeuhl here two recommendations:

Magma - Mythes et légendes II. one of the very best videos of Magma live on youtube.

and this 2008 album by Magma bass player Jannick Top:

this is truly horrifying Zeuhl. I mean this in a good way; it will scare you when you listen to it in the dark. Magma aficionados will recognize the riff from "De Futura" in the middle of the album

Edited by BaldJean - December 30 2020 at 12:30

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2020 at 11:27
The entire Mythes et légendes DVD series is amazing. Though I am partial to the Theusz Haamtahk Trilogie au Trianon DVD. Of the Mythes et légendes DVDs my favorite is the 3rd disc which features the entire Ëmëhntëhtt-Ré suite, Kohntarkosz, and the understated beauty, Lihns. The first DVD is fun too. Klaus Blasquiz comes out and improvises some English lyrics on Kobaia.

I have the Janick Top album. Its good, but not one of my favorites. I feel like its a little to self referential (the De Futura riff you site, for example).

Moving this to the "Recommendations/Featured Albums" sub-forum.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2020 at 11:46
I know those well, but I too am not that into the Jannick Topp album. I prefer Paganotti's Paga (another Magma bass player for those that don't know) which relates to Weidorje.

Still perhaps too apples and oranges to mention it.

As Zeuhl newbie, I was into Eskaton and Dun before I got into Magma.
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2020 at 12:21
I dislike the use of English on the Paganotti album; it ruins the Zeuhl atmosphere for me. and Top's album is in my opinion much darker.

there is an inner movie going on for me when listening to the Top album. for me it is the fight between Good and Evil. Good seems to win twice, but in the end Good is being corrupted and Evil comes out on top

Edited by BaldJean - December 30 2020 at 12:38

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2020 at 12:44
I love the Jannick Top album actually. Very hypnotic and powerful. I've got to see the Mythes et lLegendes one.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2020 at 13:03
I guess one might say that it sort of the aural equivalent of A Serbian Film. ;)   Been a long time since I last listened to it. I certainly liked it. Maybe it will resonate more with me now. I appreciate a lot of very dark things (but not A Serbian Film and don't think I'm recommending it).

And yes, the Paga is quite light and breezy and can be rather cheesy.

Edited by Logan - December 30 2020 at 13:04
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2020 at 18:21
I love BOTH of these! 

Jannick Top's "reunion" of so many old Magmatics coupled with the extraordinary use of Bulgarian Folk singers are, in my opinion, both strokes of magic and genius! And the live footage of Magma in Mythes et legendes II is so awe-inspiring (as well as dance-inducing!)

I much prefer these to Paganotti style and Weidorje album.

Thanks for sharing, Jean!
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
 Post Reply Post Reply