Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Live Performance Reviews
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nick Mason's Saucerful of Secrets - 1.5.22

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nick Mason's Saucerful of Secrets - 1.5.22
    Posted: May 04 2022 at 07:12

Having originally booked my tickets in September 2019, and two Covid-related cancellations later, talk about long awaited!  Just a note on the venue, it was the first time I had been back to De Montfort Hall in nearly four decades, and I was reminded what a fine venue it is (although raised seating has been installed over the stalls).  Gary Kemp reminded us of the venerable stage when he namechecked the recording of 'Genesis Live' later in the show.  As for the gig, it exceeded all expectations.  Nowadays you can check videos and recordings on line but live, this was something else.  Each song was lovingly reimagined and given new energy by a band of consummate musicians.  Kemp was like a child let lose in a sweet shop, wonderful to behold as he gave full rein to a whole gamut of spaced out guitar effects.  My wife likened them to Hawkwind and this was apt at times because the emphasis was very much on space rock at its best.  The centre piece of course, being 'Echoes'.  I sent a clip to my 23 year old son who thought I had gone to see a noise/drone/ambient outfit (this was a compliment!)  OK, this is not a review, it's a love letter.  Please go and see them while they are still around and Nick is still up for it.  I suspect you won't hear music this good, like this ever again.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2022 at 09:28
Oooooh! I saw them in 2019 and loved it, but they wouldn't play Echoes then! Maybe I'll have a chance to see them once more.
Hiram View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2022 at 10:40
I'll be seeing them in two weeks. I'm going with a workmate of mine and hardly a day goes by without us talking about how much we're looking forward to it. 
mellotronwave View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mellotronwave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2022 at 17:14
Originally posted by Rick1 Rick1 wrote:

Having originally booked my tickets in September 2019, and two Covid-related cancellations later, talk about long awaited!  Just a note on the venue, it was the first time I had been back to De Montfort Hall in nearly four decades, and I was reminded what a fine venue it is (although raised seating has been installed over the stalls).  Gary Kemp reminded us of the venerable stage when he namechecked the recording of 'Genesis Live' later in the show.  As for the gig, it exceeded all expectations.  Nowadays you can check videos and recordings on line but live, this was something else.  Each song was lovingly reimagined and given new energy by a band of consummate musicians.  Kemp was like a child let lose in a sweet shop, wonderful to behold as he gave full rein to a whole gamut of spaced out guitar effects.  My wife likened them to Hawkwind and this was apt at times because the emphasis was very much on space rock at its best.  The centre piece of course, being 'Echoes'.  I sent a clip to my 23 year old son who thought I had gone to see a noise/drone/ambient outfit (this was a compliment!)  OK, this is not a review, it's a love letter.  Please go and see them while they are still around and Nick is still up for it.  I suspect you won't hear music this good, like this ever again.

Nice report written with the heart thx
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2022 at 11:26
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

Oooooh! I saw them in 2019 and loved it, but they wouldn't play Echoes then! Maybe I'll have a chance to see them once more.
Same here!
My theory as to why Echoes wasn’t in their original set list is because David Gilmour had it in his recent solo sets, and they probably wanted to focus on songs that had not been played live since the pre DSothM years.

Excellent show all around, maybe one of my all-time favorites. Of course, I’m a total early Floyd fanatic so it was tough to be unbiased. I also have the CD/DVD version, an autographed poster, and t-shirt with the set list on the back.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
 Post Reply Post Reply