Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Random Shuffle! 5/7/2022

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Poll Question: Which is your preferred track?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
1 [3.45%]
1 [3.45%]
10 [34.48%]
17 [58.62%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zwordser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2022 at 12:22
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Originally posted by Rick1 Rick1 wrote:

Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Originally posted by Rick1 Rick1 wrote:

Brilliant, Hatfields soundly beating Led Zep!!

why does that surprise anyone? Confused

Because Prog Archives is becoming Metal Archives (not referring to the Zep track, just generally)

I disagree, metal is still not that popular here on PA. 

I second that disagreement--I've noticed metal/heavy prog tracks tend to not do as well in my own polls when going up against other prog tracks (with the exception of some Rush tracks), so I've tended to think that heavier music & metal is, if anything, underrepresented on PA. 

Edited by zwordser - May 10 2022 at 12:22
Z
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2022 at 12:33
Originally posted by zwordser zwordser wrote:

I second that disagreement--I've noticed metal/heavy prog tracks tend to not do as well in my own polls when going up against other prog tracks (with the exception of some Rush tracks), so I've tended to think that heavier music & metal is, if anything, underrepresented on PA. 

I think these things go in cycles... I certainly remember a time when the Prog Metal followers on this forum were considerably more numerous than today, but have practically all left. There was a very active team of 5-7 in the PM team and at least another 10 they could have asked if any had decided to quit. It's really quite ironic that Nick is on the PM team but doesn't profess to actually be a fan of PM! That sort of scenario would have been unheard of, 15 years ago..
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2022 at 12:43
I find "That's the Way" to be a really nice kind of country-folk song. I tend to like lots of gentle Zep music, and Zep used to be one of my very favourite bands, even though I was not into metal/ heavy metal or much hard rock. Led Zeppelin is huge in rock circles of course, and with the classic rock crowds.

It is nice to see that it seems that people (not everyone) do vote based on the actual music (the tracks) rather than just on how popular/ known the band is -- people (not everyone) actually will listen to/ revisit and compare music methinks. I have noticed that in recent times, a lesser-known act does have a better chance of faring well in a poll percentage-wise against a very popular act. Well, generally there are less votes period, but polls have been made comparing very accomplished (or respected by those who know it) tracks by lesser-known artists to much derided songs by very popular acts, and in my earlier days here, it seemed more likely that people would just vote for the act they know and like regardless of what song by that known act was chosen and regardless of what track it was up against. A good thing about these polls to me often is learning about new-to-me music or revisiting music we don't know well already, but to some it has seemed to be more about brand loyalty. But I ramble.

Anyway, Hatfield and the North's "Lobster in Cleavage Probe" is the standout here for me (and for most others apparently). Love it. I also like the ambient Radiohead track, "Treefingers" very much. While it works best in the context of the album (great album, I think), I do like hearing it in this context too.

Edited by Logan - May 10 2022 at 12:51
zwordser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote zwordser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2022 at 07:56
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

It is nice to see that it seems that people (not everyone) do vote based on the actual music (the tracks) rather than just on how popular/ known the band is -- people (not everyone) actually will listen to/ revisit and compare music methinks. I have noticed that in recent times, a lesser-known act does have a better chance of faring well in a poll percentage-wise against a very popular act. Well, generally there are less votes period, but polls have been made comparing very accomplished (or respected by those who know it) tracks by lesser-known artists to much derided songs by very popular acts, and in my earlier days here, it seemed more likely that people would just vote for the act they know and like regardless of what song by that known act was chosen and regardless of what track it was up against. A good thing about these polls to me often is learning about new-to-me music or revisiting music we don't know well already, but to some it has seemed to be more about brand loyalty. But I ramble.

I hope most votes are based on the actual music, but, of course, people are free to vote from whatever basis they want: consciously or subconsciously.  Can't really fault anyone for voting on a "brand loyalty"--music is just too subjective, and there may be deep emotional ties to some of these bands/tracks.  BUT, finding new music, or just re-visit things not heard in a long time is the larger purpose of random polling/listening. (that's a big part of my own listening to random tracks, (besides just enjoying it), and part of the reason I started creating these polls a couple years ago).
Z
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2022 at 10:46
^ Agree. Just to add, as is my wont, I wouldn't fault people generally for it, but I have seen brand loyalty and brand "antipathy", one could say, that seems to go a bit far per my philosophy which tends to favour trying to keep an open mind while recognising our biases. We all have biases. For instance, I have seen people just vote a for an act no matter the song without considering the others, and sometimes they have not even heard that songs and have made it clear that they are voting for the act. And I have seen people dismiss whole discographies by artists who make disparate music while not knowing very little of the act. Then one often sees claims like, "X is way better" than "V, W,Y, Z" I do seem to find that less common now here, and so a lesser-known band could ore easily best lesser-known artist, such as a Hatfield and the North track being ahead of Led Zeppelin. Not that Hatfield is really unknown here. And I think that there is a higher percentage of participants who are willing to actually listen to the songs in a poll set up like yours (even if just checking out snatches of each to see which appeals) and compare. I'm now reminded me a of a poll I did many years ago here where a less mainstream and more experimental act was getting more votes for the choice than a much more mainstream choice, and someone claimed that the only reason people were voting for this avant-oriented one was because we were against the more mainstream one. To which someone responded, I voted for it because I enjoy it more. And I've seen comments like people are only voting for X to be different....

I used to like to play my iPod on random sometimes, it gives you a different context and perspective on the music sometimes, and sometimes I have really noticed a track in random shuffle mode whereas it never stuck with me when I heard the full album. I then have gone and listened to the full album and really appreciated it and the album more. It has helped to to return to albums, especially when I was acquiring them very fast about 15 years ago. I don't generally listen to as much variety as I once did. I remember arguing (or trying to argue) with someone at this site who claimed that random listening is no proper way to listen to music, you need to listen to it in the context of the album, no true music appreciator would listen that way etc. Funnily enough, that person had mentioned appreciating music radio before, so odd. Of course I'm fine with someone who wants to listen to songs only in the context of the album it was released on, just not okay if that person tells me how I should experience and appreciate music. If some would rather not compare music, not bother to listen to the music that has been embedded from youtube, and just go with the act they know, that's up to them. Different people take different approaches, and some are willing and able to put more time and thought into their approach. We've both been here a long time and seen a lot of things.
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2022 at 12:17
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

I used to like to play my iPod on random sometimes, it gives you a different context and perspective on the music sometimes, and sometimes I have really noticed a track in random shuffle mode whereas it never stuck with me when I heard the full album. I then have gone and listened to the full album and really appreciated it and the album more. It has helped to to return to albums, especially when I was acquiring them very fast about 15 years ago. I don't generally listen to as much variety as I once did. I remember arguing (or trying to argue) with someone at this site who claimed that random listening is no proper way to listen to music, you need to listen to it in the context of the album, no true music appreciator would listen that way etc.

I do very much find that it is rare to appreciate a song as much outside the context of the album it is pulled from, than within, but I also ❤️LOVE❤️ listening to my iPod on shuffle. In fact, I cannot get to sleep at night, unless I have music playing, and every night I simply leave my iPod on shuffle.

And yes, absolutely, sometimes a song comes on, and it hits in a completely different way than when I’ve heard it on the album. And sometimes (as per the I Mother Earth track I shared in an interactive pill recently) I never really noticed/paid much attention to a song, until I heard it outside the context of listening to an album as a whole. It can give a completely new appreciation for a track, and can even elevate it to a new favourite.

So yeah, I have never understood the snobbery around listening to one’s music on a random shuffle. I guess I probably enjoy listening to albums most of all, and this is how I listen to music most of the time - but that doesn’t mean I don’t get a heck of a lot of pleasure from playing my iPod on shuffle.

In fact, some mornings, if I’m not sure what I want to listen for the day, putting my iPod on shuffle is the best way. It is inevitable that something will pop up that makes me want to listen to the whole album.

zwordser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote zwordser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2022 at 13:13
^  Well, its nice to see I'm not alone with such listening habits! Smile 

But unlike most, I probably spend the majority of listening on random.   Similarly as mentioned, it will often lead into an album-listen, particularly if I hear a track that cuts off because it's supposed to blend into another (usually a concept album)--it creates a desire to hear the whole thing.  

But also to add to what you said about a track "hit[ting] in a completely different way": for me its often realizing that I didn't notice the track as well when I heard it on a whole album, often because it gets overshadowed by "better" tracks.  When tossed to me on random, I often tend to notice a track better, or hear it more closely than I might have otherwise; thus, in a way, appreciate it better.
Z
Syzygy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Syzygy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2022 at 06:36
Hatfield, just ahead of Zeppelin.

I'm not that keen on Radiohead, but I do like Kid A/Amnesiac, although mostly as entire albums rather than individual songs.

The less said about U2, the better.
'Like so many of you
I've got my doubts about how much to contribute
to the already rich among us...'

Robert Wyatt, Gloria Gloom

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12