Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Live Performance Reviews
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Yes - Tavistock Wharf, 13 June 2022

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Yes - Tavistock Wharf, 13 June 2022
    Posted: June 15 2022 at 13:30
Tavistock Wharf is not the sort of venue you normally expect to find a band like Yes. With a capacity of less than 400 they normally cater for tribute bands (ok, cue the inevitable jokes).

This was a pre-tour show, a warm up gig for their Close to the Edge 50th anniversary tour. It was announced at quite short notice, I bought my ticket the day Alan White died, and it was dedicated to his memory.

The advantage of a small venue like this is that you get really close to the band. You could see every expression and the signals going between the band. It was quite a different experience to what the main tour shows will be. What really interested me was the interplay between the band.

While Steve was in charge as you’d expect, it seemed to me that Billy Sherwood was the one holding everything together, signaling the changes as they happened. Jay Schellen was beaming like a big kid most of the time, but you could see he was mouthing like crazy in some sections, then I realised he was counting hard 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7…

Geoff Downes was supremely nonchalant, done it all before many times, while Steve Howe’s expressions were priceless. The faces he pulled while playing were amazing, questioning, surprised, smiling, frowning, he could be a rubber-faced comedian like Les Dawson (Brits will know who I mean).

Music - they kicked off with On the silent wings of freedom, which was in interesting choice. Steve said they hadn’t played that live since the 70s. They played a lot off Fragile and the Yes album, plus one off Time and a Word (can’t remember the name now).

A couple off the new album, plus Close to the Edge in entirety. Steve announced Close to the Edge and Jay Schellen clicked them in immediately, forgetting the bird song introduction, apparently that was how they’d rehearsed. 

I’ve never seen Yes before - I had a ticket for the 90125 tour, but couldn’t go. It’s obviously a very different band now to what they were, but a really good show, and nice to see how the band works together from close up.
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2022 at 14:42
Wow.. I know the Tavistock Wharf, not a million miles from us but i had no idea Yes were playing there!! Steve Howe is based in North Devon so not too far for him to travel... ive got really out of touch with whats happening locally, missed out there. Although i wouldnt bother to see Yes (now) in a larger venue i would certainly liked to have experienced them in a small venue like the Wharf! I saw them at Powderham Castle, Exeter in 2004 and i know Steve pops into a friends record shop in Exeter fairly regularly.. 

Thanks for your review, sounds like a great show!Clap

Edited by Cosmiclawnmower - June 17 2022 at 14:44

timbo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2022 at 13:39
The gig was quite short notice. I assume they were rehearsing in Devon, with Steve being based in N Devon, and decided to do a trial gig before the main tour.

That said, Steve still got the town wrong when he introduced the gig, he said “Welcome Tiverton!” I know it’s another town in Devon beginning with T, but you’d think if he lives locally he’d know the difference LOL
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2022 at 14:15
I dunno.. i think most people in Devon get Barnstaple and Bideford mixed upLOL 

Rick1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2022 at 07:05
Thanks for the review.  I was really toying with seeing them, wish I had now.  
 Post Reply Post Reply