Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Republican Thunderdome

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 789
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2024 at 02:08
Originally posted by Hugh Manatee Hugh Manatee wrote:

Originally posted by omphaloskepsis omphaloskepsis wrote:

Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

Both the Democrat and Republican uni-party wish to reduce freedom in the USA.  
If they really were a uniparty, why is there still so much freedom that they still need to reduce? Couldn't they have set the level of freedom at what they desire already in the last x hundred years?

Before I answer your questions...What is your definition of freedom?  Could you be specific and/or clarify your second question?  I don't understand the second question.Wink
I'm making reference to your quote, so for the sake of answering my question I'm happy to go with your definition of freedom. My point is, assuming that uni-party stuff is true, the uni-party must have had a lot of power for a very long time. So my question is, if this is so, why didn't they use that power in a way that they wouldn't need to worry about too much freedom now (which they  according to your statement apparently do)?

Can you imagine 1950s America accepting a COVID lockdown and all that went with it?  Folks losing jobs and getting arrested on a beach, defying the lockdown. Can you imagine 1950s America accepting "story time drag hour" or children's sex changes?  America's demographics were different then. Most folks attended church.  Are you familiar with the concept of boiling a frog?  

It goes like this:  If you toss a frog in boiling water, the frog will jump out of the water.  However, if you put a frog in lukewarm water and slowly turn the temperature up one degree at a time...The frog won't notice until it's too late.  I don't know if it's true for a frog, but it's a solid analogy.  The "boiling frog analogy" describes human behavior. Wink 

"The legend is entirely incorrect! The 'critical thermal maxima' of many species of frogs have been determined by several investigators. In this procedure, the water in which a frog is submerged is heated gradually at about 2°F per minute. As the temperature of the water is gradually increased, the frog will eventually become more and more active in attempts to escape the heated water. If the container size and opening allow the frog to jump out, it will do so."

If you reread my post, you'll see that I cast doubt on the veracity of my analogy when I said, 

"I don't know if it's true for a frog."Wink  
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Easy Money Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2024 at 19:38
More bad news from government intrusion anti-freedom Texas, from the Texas Tribune:

https://www.texastribune.org/2022/07/15/texas-hospitals-abortion-laws/

The Texas Medical Association is asking state regulators to step in after it says several hospitals afraid of violating the state’s abortion ban have turned away pregnant patients or delayed care leading to complications, The Dallas Morning News reported.

In a letter to the Texas Medical Board — the state agency that regulates the practice of medicine — TMA officials on Wednesday said they have received complaints that hospital administrators and their legal teams are stopping doctors from providing medically appropriate care to patients with some pregnancy complications. They ask the board to “swiftly act to prevent any wrongful intrusion into the practice of medicine.”

TMA is a professional nonprofit that represents over 55,000 medical professionals in the state.
The request comes as confusion and concerns abound among Texas medical professionals over what they can and cannot do under Texas’ abortion ban.

Beyond elective abortions, there are several situations in which a doctor might advise an abortion for the safety of the patient — including ectopic pregnancies, in which a fertilized egg grows outside of the uterus, making it unviable — or provide other stabilizing treatments during hypertension and preeclampsia. Delays in treatment can cause serious health complications.

But in a post-Roe world, physicians in states where abortion has been banned have to weigh the legal implications of their actions, instead of making decisions based on what prevailing medical literature recommends. In Texas, doctors can face six-figure fines and be put in jail for any disallowed abortions.

According to the Morning News, the TMA included in its letter examples of some cases in which treatment was denied or delayed but did not name specific hospitals. In Central Texas, a physician was allegedly instructed to not treat an ectopic pregnancy until a rupture occurred, which puts patient health at serious risk, the letter says.

“Delayed or prevented care in this scenario creates a substantial risk for the patient’s future reproductive ability and poses serious risk to the patient’s immediate physical wellbeing,” the letter says.

The TMA letter also accused two other hospitals of telling doctors to turn away pregnant patients and send them home to “expel the fetus” if their water broke too soon, which can put them at risk of infection.

Not only are patients being put at risk of serious injury, but doctors could face lawsuits or the loss of their medical licenses for not providing adequate care, the TMA letter says. Failing to do so might violate the state’s prohibition on the corporate practice of medicine, which generally prohibits corporations or nonphysicians from practicing medicine.

The TMA’s plea comes one day after Texas sued the Biden administration to block new federal guidance reiterating to the nation’s doctors that they’re protected by federal law to terminate a pregnancy as part of emergency treatment.

The Texas Tribune thanks its sponsors. Become one.

Edited by Easy Money - April 19 2024 at 20:00
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2024 at 21:29
It's just sad. And Texas has some of the best universities and institutions in the country.
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2024 at 05:30
Senate passes FISA 60-34.

In a break with Schumer and Biden, Sen. Patty Murray, D-Wash., the president pro tempore, opposed the bill, saying: “I have strong concerns that this expansion of FISA Section 702 authorities would allow for increased abuse and misuse of the law — infringing on the rights of Americans here at home.”

I agree with Senator Murray.  Meanwhile...

Sen. John Cornyn, R-Texas, said that “60% of the president’s daily brief is composed of 702-derived materials, so this is absolutely critical.”

The Biden administration and FISA supporters had warned that even a brief lapse could have a detrimental impact on the intelligence-gathering process.

The final vote came after the Senate defeated six amendments from progressive and conservative senators who said the spying powers are too broad and demanded protections for Americans’ civil liberties and privacy.

The DEM/GOP uni-party voted for FISA.  As I said earlier in this thread, the Uni-party always votes for war and spying on Americans.  I live in Texas, and I will vote against Senator John Cornyn next time he runs for the Senate.  

Meanwhile 34 Senators, including Kentucky R- Senator Rand Paul and Senator Patty Murray, D-Wash voted against the bill.  In my opinion, these senators supported freedoms for Americans.  They lost.  

Another thing.  These votes that hurt Americans are usually passed late on Friday evenings or Saturdays to avoid notice by regular Americans, gearing up for their weekend.  I expected this bill to pass in this exact fashion.  Why?  Because DEM/GOP uni-party always follows the same playbook.  

Edited by omphaloskepsis - April 20 2024 at 06:09
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2024 at 06:03

The House approved a 95 billion dollar aid package to Ukraine, Israel and, Twiwan, as Democrats supplied the crucial votes to push the legislation past Republican opposition so that it could be considered on the floor.

The 316-to-94 vote cleared the way for the House to bring up the aid package, teeing up separate votes on Saturday on each of its parts. 

Republican Speaker Mike Johnson turned to Democrats in a significant breach of custom in the House, further imperiling his position even as he paved the way for the legislation to be voted on and approved.

Who voted against the 95 billion dollar war bill, which does not include a dime for Americans?  Non-uni-party House members. A majority of Americans would rather the billions spent on Americans than on wars thousands of miles across the ocean.  I don't want my tax dollars used to buy bombs that kill tens of thousands of women and children in Gaza.  

As I pointed out earlier, the bills that hurt Americans are usually passed on Fridays and Saturdays.  The DEM-GOP uni-party sticks to the playbook..." votes on weekends for more war and spying on Americans."

Biden will sign the bill as soon as it crosses his desk.

Edited by omphaloskepsis - April 20 2024 at 06:24
mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2024 at 07:36
The money is going toward the purchase and manufacturing of weapons from the U.S. This supports thousands of Americans who work in weapons manufacturing and the needed part. I am not taking any position on the bill itself, but to say no money goes to Americans is not entirely accurate.

I would rather not spend money on war, but the decision making on this isn't simply about a preferrence of where money should be spent. Another consideration is whether having Russia take Ukraine is acceptable. Historically, holding a nonintervenist policy has not resulted in a welcome outcome.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2024 at 08:49
Originally posted by mathman0806 mathman0806 wrote:

The money is going toward the purchase and manufacturing of weapons from the U.S. This supports thousands of Americans who work in weapons manufacturing and the needed part. I am not taking any position on the bill itself, but to say no money goes to Americans is not entirely accurate.

The 95 billion dollars could go to building mental hospitals, highways, and homes for the homeless...including homeless vets.  That would create tens of thousands of jobs in construction, the medical field, social services, food services, maintenance, janitors, accountants, office personnel, and more. 

Most Americans would rather their tax dollars be spent on Americans.  Most Americans would rather the American government build and help people than destroy and kill people.  I don't want my tax money to facilitate destruction, death, bombs, and the genocide of the Palestinian people.  

Edited by omphaloskepsis - April 20 2024 at 08:53
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2024 at 09:02
Originally posted by mathman0806 mathman0806 wrote:

T

I would rather not spend money on war, but the decision making on this isn't simply about a preferrence of where money should be spent. Another consideration is whether having Russia take Ukraine is acceptable. Historically, holding a nonintervenist policy has not resulted in a welcome outcome.

Ukraine will lose the war to Russia.  Since WW-2, America's military history is flush with expensive wars that we lost...Korea, Vietnam, and Afghanistan. The media said America was winning in Afghanistan up to the day that Biden pulled the American troops. Biden left 85 billion dollars of American military equipment in the hands of the Taliban. 

America has been fighting the Yemen rebels for 10 years, still has troops in Syria, and attacked Iraq under the false pretenses of Weapons of Mass destruction.  Drones and missiles were fired from Yemen, Syria, and Iraq during Iran's retaliation for Israel's bombing of the Iran embassy in Syria.

https://taskandpurpose.com/news/us-destroyer-jets-iran-israel-missiles/

Edited by omphaloskepsis - April 20 2024 at 09:29
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2024 at 09:46
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2024 at 10:07

Ukraine will lose the war to Russia.

I don't think so. I think Ukraine is a bitter humiliation for Putin. His vaunted war machine has proven utterly ineffective, embarrassingly so, and his monomania regarding Ukraine has actually strengthened NATO, adding the once-neutral Sweden and Finland to its ranks -- something that would be unheard of a decade ago. 

Given your years of spewing Putin pabulum and Muscovite misinformation on this site, I am sure today's vote in the House and the swift passage of aid to Ukraine will certainly get your panties in a bunch, as it will Moscow Marge and the rest of the buffoons and charlatans of the Russian wing of the Republican House, and by extension Trump. 

I will revel in their defeat. And yours.

The 95 billion dollars could go to building mental hospitals, highways, and homes for the homeless...including homeless vets.  That would create tens of thousands of jobs in construction, the medical field, social services, food services, maintenance, janitors, accountants, office personnel, and more.  

Stop. Just stop. The very same jacka**es who are voting against the Ukraine bill are the selfsame c****s who regularly vote down any bills that actually aid U.S. citizens in need. What's humorous is all the Republicans who voted against Biden's massive infrastructure bill would later go on to try and take credit for the aid that was received in their districts. 

Republican Speaker Mike Johnson turned to Democrats in a significant breach of custom in the House, further imperiling his position even as he paved the way for the legislation to be voted on and approved.

Compromise is not a significant breach of custom in the House; on the contrary, until recently it was the proper and ethical thing to do. It only fell out of favor for the McConnell/Gingrich/Trump Republicans who have made a mockery of government as they practice their patented brand of chicanery. 

One only has to look at the  bipartisan border security bill proposed by a Republican Senator and backed by the Border Patrol Union, the U.S. Chamber of Commerce, and the South Texas Alliance of Cities. It passed the Senate, but was not allowed to come up for a vote in the House because your boy Trump wanted Biden to look bad. And the same Republican Trumpettes are the ones railing loudest about the border. You can't make this sh*t up.

In any case, don't bother to reply. I am uninterested in hearing your further palaver from the Putin playbook.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2024 at 10:45
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Ukraine will lose the war to Russia.

Compromise is not a significant breach of custom in the House; on the contrary, until recently it was the proper and ethical thing to do. It only fell out of favor for the McConnell/Gingrich/Trump Republicans who have made a mockery of government as they practice their patented brand of chicanery. 

One only has to look at the  bipartisan border security bill proposed by a Republican Senator and backed by the Border Patrol Union, the U.S. Chamber of Commerce, and the South Texas Alliance of Cities. It passed the Senate, but was not allowed to come up for a vote in the House because your boy Trump wanted Biden to look bad. And the same Republican Trumpettes are the ones railing loudest about the border. You can't make this sh*t up.

For clarity, I will address your arguments one at a time.

1. The DEM/GOP uniparty voted for 95 billion dollars in WAR money/bombs.  The uni-party refuses to represent their constituents. According to a CNN poll, a 55% majority of the American people do NOT support more aid to Ukraine.  The  House's 316-94 vote for war money doesn't come close to reflecting the public's wishes. 

https://www.cnn.com/2023/08/04/politics/cnn-poll-ukraine/index.html

2. Did you read the Border bill you referenced?  That border bill would have made it easier for illegal aliens to enter the United States. Can you point out the sections of the border bill that prevented illegal aliens from crossing into America?

3. Trump is not my boy. You always forget that I am not a Republican.   I plan to vote against my Republican  House representative because she voted for War.  I plan to vote for GOP Texas senator John Cornyn's opponent because Cornyn voted for War.  Earlier on this page of this thread, I said I agreed with Senator Patty Murray, D-Wash because she voted against spying on Americans.

4. McConnell is a DEM/GOP uni-party Republican.  He always votes for war.  He always votes for spying on Americans.  I would never vote for McConnell. 

I'll address Russian/Ukraine war funding and why it's a losing proposition later. Ta, ta... I have hospital shift work.  Have a happy day! Cindy OWink

Edited by omphaloskepsis - April 20 2024 at 11:03
Valdez1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Valdez1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2024 at 11:01
Was aid money to Ukraine and /or Israel in the border bill ? Anything else besides the U.S. border issue?
I have never read the bill.
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Easy Money Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2024 at 20:21
Why do idiots feel a need to use larger sized text?   
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Yesterday at 11:41
Another presidential candidate is arrested.  I voted for Dr. Jill Stein in 2016. 

https://ijr.com/green-party-presidential-candidate-jill-stein-arrested/

The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 hours 40 minutes ago at 12:40

Another presidential candidate is arrested.  I voted for Dr. Jill Stein in 2016. 

I always felt she should have chosen Al Franken as her running mate. Everyone would have voted for a Franken-Stein ticket. 
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 hours 26 minutes ago at 12:54
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

I always felt she should have chosen Al Franken as her running mate. Everyone would have voted for a Franken-Stein ticket. 

LOL!  Good one, Dark Elf.
mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 hours 50 minutes ago at 17:30
That is funny!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 789