Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Things that give you radiation

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bardberic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2023 at 08:45
Yeah, the term "radiation" tends to have a negative connotation, like anything that radiates anything is unhealthy, due to the word's conflation with nuclear radiation, which actually is extremely unhealthy. Avoiding it entirely is impossible, but most radiation is not harmful, unless exposed to in heavy doses, such as the sun's UV rays (rays being short for "radiation"). Can't exactly avoid the sun - and without it we'd all die in... a week, tops? Just don't microwave yourself or visit Chernobyl and you'll be fine (although idk why, or how even, you'd do either xD).

Edited by bardberic - March 09 2023 at 08:46
cold103 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cold103 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2023 at 08:55
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

wireless mouses and keyboards
NO, laser's maybe but not nuke !
Really? Shocked They don't give off radiation?
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2023 at 10:43
Nope, they typically use RF (radio frequency) to communicate. I suppose you should define your "Radiation" a little more. Everything 'radiates' something, but there are so many various types of radiation, both useful and harmful depending on the type/saturation/exposure.

I'd have to go back and read the whole thread to see if you discussed that already. I may edit this post accordingly.

Edited by JD - October 14 2023 at 10:47
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2023 at 11:00
All radiation comes from hamsters invading the Earth.
Here's the proof

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2023 at 15:13
Isnt it caused by weak nuclear force?
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2023 at 15:44
^Nope, by wearing mittens as socks with sandals in September.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2023 at 16:07
The sun.
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2023 at 16:07
^^I spend every October waiting for my feet to stop glowing.

Edited by progaardvark - October 14 2023 at 16:08
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2023 at 17:43
^ I read 'to stop growing'.   Then I thought of your freakishly large penis and it all made sense.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2023 at 18:28
When it comes to cosmic radiation in space, it is actually safer to have no radiation shielding than inadequate radiation shielding. That is because high energy cosmic particles tend to pass through you without causing damage, whereas if you are behind a radiation shield, the high energy cosmic particles collide with the shield to produce an abundance of secondary radiation which, if the shielding is inadequate, exposes you to a much greater hazard.

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Easy Money Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2023 at 19:40
cold103 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cold103 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2023 at 23:01
lol @ the previous posts Tongue

But can I have a serious response? Smile If I spend basically all day everyday on my computer, should I be using a wired keyboard or a wireless keyboard? And mouse? The one problem with my wired keyboard is that I wish the cable was longer. JD seems to be telling me to go with wireless. Thanks in advance for your help, guys!
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2023 at 18:25
Originally posted by cold103 cold103 wrote:

Hi! I'm trying to stay away from things that give me radiation. Which things should I try to stay away from? I guess a smartphone would be one of them? And cell phone towers? What about wireless mouses and keyboards? Do those things give off radiation? Thanks in advance for your help!

But can I have a serious response? Smile If I spend basically all day everyday on my computer, should I be using a wired keyboard or a wireless keyboard? And mouse? The one problem with my wired keyboard is that I wish the cable was longer. JD seems to be telling me to go with wireless. Thanks in advance for your help, guys!

Seriously, you cannot avoid radiation. It comes to us from the ground we stand on and from the sky above. It comes to us from the food we eat. For example, potassium-40, present in small amount in natural potassium which is an essential nutrient, is radioactive.

In considering the health risk from radiation exposure, one needs to distinguish ionising radiation from non-ionising radiation. Basically, UV radiation, X-ray radiation, gamma radiation, and any form of radioactivity constitutes ionising radiation. It is these that pose the main health risk from radiation exposure. Non-ionising radiation are radio waves, microwaves, infrared, and visible light. Although high-intensity forms of these can literally cook you, low-intensity forms of these that are associated with modern technology can reasonably be assumed to be harmless. If you are scared of the radiation emitted by a wireless mouse, then you've probably listened to too many crackpots on the internet. All electronic equipment, as well as the electrical wiring in your home emits electromagnetic radiation, though manufacturers do take measures to shield the environment from such radiation. However, we are becoming increasing exposed to radiation from cell phone towers and Wi-Fi that we can no longer avoid in an urban environment. But even far away from an urban environment, one still has natural radioactivity to contend with.

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2023 at 19:54

But can I have a serious response? Smile If I spend basically all day everyday on my computer, should I be using a wired keyboard or a wireless keyboard? And mouse? The one problem with my wired keyboard is that I wish the cable was longer. JD seems to be telling me to go with wireless. Thanks in advance for your help, guys!
Go ahead man...cut the cord!
essexboyinwales View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote essexboyinwales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2023 at 05:17
Originally posted by Jared Jared wrote:

Originally posted by Stressed Cheese Stressed Cheese wrote:

Is this really the best place on the internet you could've asked that?

Big smile

You definitely want to avoid that🤫😀
Heaven is waiting but waiting is Hell
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12