Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > I Have A Question For You......?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

YES - Time and a Word

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2023 at 10:04
The lists here are defective

I’m a huge fan of the first two Yes albums

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2023 at 10:09
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

this whole thread is defective LOL

I also love early Yes. Time and a Word was one of the first Yes albums I listened to long ago, along with The Yes Album. Heart

Edited by Cristi - May 06 2023 at 10:23
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2023 at 10:19
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

this whole thread defective LOL

I also love early Yes. Time and a Word was one of the first Yes albums I listened to long ago, along with The Yes Album. Heart

The early Yes albums are incredible imho
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
mellotronwave View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mellotronwave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2023 at 10:24
Originally posted by suitkees suitkees wrote:

Manipulation of "alcoorithm"... Beer
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2023 at 10:29
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

this whole thread is defective LOL

Which reminds me that the debut YES album doesn't feature in PA's Top 100 Albums of 1969 either (it's at #120), so I'll have to do something about that by manipulating the algorithm until it produces the desired results, just like in politics. Wink

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - May 06 2023 at 10:34
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2023 at 10:38
Thanks for everyone's help in solving the mystery of the missing YES album, which also had the added benefit of me learning how to spell "ALGORITHM" - and not "algorhythm". Tongue
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2023 at 10:39

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2023 at 10:46
Originally posted by suitkees suitkees wrote:

^ Easy:

The Top 100 for 1969 is looking  a lot better already and I now know how to manipulate the statistics in such a way that the debut YES album is now at #4 in the chart - although the downside is that there are only four albums in the chart, so it's essentially  a Top 4.  Tongue

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - May 06 2023 at 10:47
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2023 at 10:53
^ So, you know now how to get it on number 1! Wink

When you set the filters on a basic minimum (minimum ratings on 1, avg. rating on 1) the album even ends up on spot 154. When you prefer to select more "popular" prog and set - for example - the minimal ratings on 100, it ends op on #31...

It's up to...

Tongue

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2023 at 11:11
^ Yes, thanks to you, I now know how to get the album to number one (with no other albums in the chart) by manipulating the alcorhythm, or something like that. Tongue

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2023 at 03:22
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

[QUOTE=Cristi]
The question now though is how did you manage to find five different top albums lists when I've only ever found one list for each year? Confused

I tend to disregard these things, since "I was there", and had the album, which I bought immediately after I got "The Yes Album".

My biggest issue with reviews and ratings is that too many of them are done strictly by "preference", thus, something not being there is not a surprise. But anyone ... in the past 20 years, rating that album, and ranking it, is not likely to give it as good a review and ranking, as it might have had at the time, and place. I did not think the album was a "good" or "great" as "The Yes Album", but it got my ears ... but since I do not rank/rate things at all, I prefer to say that is is an enjoyable album ... another one of many that shows a band getting better and then all of a sudden explode with their next album.

If the rankings and ratings took on some more of the time and place, I might enjoy it much, but I am not sure that many of us here are time travelers. I fly, and time travel with all music, going as far back as Vivaldi ... not sure why earlier stuff doesn't do that for me, but it has the feeling that it is not exactly "music" as it became after the Albinoni's, and Vivaldi's and such.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
telefunk View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote telefunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2023 at 11:14
Time & a Word is an orchestral experiment that didn't entirely christalise. Thus it is my least favourite of the first three. Thereafter they nailed it good and hard!

As for ratings: I compare to absolute standards like Bach or Beatles, to name a select few. So practically nothing can attain 5 stars except Yes, Zappa and some other übergeniuses.

Edited by telefunk - May 07 2023 at 11:15
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2023 at 11:32
Originally posted by telefunk telefunk wrote:

As for ratings: I compare to absolute standards like Bach or Beatles...

LOL

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2023 at 12:03
I've learned more about algorithms in the last couple of days than I ever learnt during five years of maths lessons at school. Tongue
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2023 at 08:14

Hi,

Nice. At least this list is more like it and enjoyable for its variety ... but it has a wonderful amount of very nice things deserving of mention.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2023 at 10:27
We had the same kind of discussion not so long ago: https://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=130792
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12